1/48 Aerospatiale Gazelle HT2 705 Naval Air Squadron (Fujimi) - DONE FOR NOW

Aaaand... we have an engine!

2275d94a179512931b7350fea97df0dc_zpscfaf

Fit isn't bad, actually - though not quite as good on the other side, so a little filler will be needed... but nothing like as bad as I had feared.

You will note that the skids have come off again. Having knocked off the starboard one twice while working on the fuselage, I decided to take them both off in a controlled manner, rather than risk damaging them. They probably won't go back on until right at the death - masking will be a lot easier without them, as well.

On a similar basis, though the idea of the tie down rings and the door jettison rods is sound, I wasn't pleased with the execution; over-scale and too rough & ready. So they're off as well! I have managed to source some much finer copper wire (it was a .008 guitar string before, which is material I'll be using for the hydraulics pipes down the tail) - much happier now. Rods not yet replaced (so don't strain your eyes looking!), but this is the new tie-down ring.

674ef1df18000624f22871a2e9ee69fe_zpsd8fe

Ooh, don't you just hate extreme close-ups of your work; everything looks shabby as hell!

Next job is hydraulic pipes and control runs down the tail, but not until after the marathon rivet-o-rama that I am pretending I'm not putting off...

More soon, and thanks for looking.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

Door jettison rods replaced, hydraulic plumbing started (with pipes between MRGB section of fuselage and the engine bay).

Need a pin to clean out some of that paint from the mesh FOD guards on the intakes - sometimes close-ups do help!

d7d73e094e030e67f90a664b63720834_zps89b5

• Like 1

this will be another cracker when done methinks!

Methinks too.

Fenestron. Now there was a word I had to google before I knew what you were talking about. Helicopters is a whole new language I reckons.

Edited by Fritag

Think of it as a ducted fan. The tail rotor, but an unusual one. To be fair to you, there aren't many types that have one; it's essentially an Aerospatiale thing (or, to be strictly accurate, a Sud-Aviation, then Aerospatiale, then Eurocopter thing).

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

Just re read this from the beginning. I think I missed out page 2 first time around and so missed most of the cockpit work. It's even better than I thought. I could learn to love helicopters. Mind you everyone has a soft spot for the Gazelle don't they. Got to be one of the prettiest helicopters around.

Edited by Fritag

Ooh, don't you just hate extreme close-ups of your work; everything looks shabby as hell!

How true are these words, mind you mine looks shabby with naked eyes as well.

Fenestron. Now there was a word I had to google before I knew what you were talking about.

A new word made up by the French I believe. Its unusual to get a new word from them as the traffic is usually in the other direction despite their best efforts to resist.

Yes, they are "...they really work well - especially once painted".

QED: pleased with how this is coming out. After a bit of tidying up and some layers of paint (this is just a single coat of Tamiya primer), it should look pretty decent.

4f3343e3a85f867d3b26c6de10dd0fd4_zps9c1a

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

Hi

A great build going on here. In answer to your previous post about other builder, I built this kit about 10 years ago and have honestly never seen another made.

I recal it fought a good fight and the cockpit was tricky to get together. Looking at it now the rotor droop is wrong and I didnt know to drill the holes in the runners. When I moved back to the UK some years ago I seem to have lost the rotors in the packing so it sits at the back of the shelf rather neglected but it is a novel little model.

I do recall packing lead under the cockpit floor to get it to sit level as there was a definite sag towards the tail.

The decals were home made, I even designed the shark myself.

I look forward to seeing this one finished.

WestlandGazelle148Fujimi05_zps27140556.j

WestlandGazelle148Fujimi07_zps887b1827.j

Colin W

That shark is superb if you did it yourself! I was about to disagree with you about the rotor droop (and I haven't yet worked out how to move mine from the rigid straight things they are at present...) - but then I looked at the 2nd pic.

You didn't have to sand as much away from your IP as I have - I definitely cocked up somewhere. Anyway, you have confirmed my confidence that it will look a decent Gazelle once finished, so thus worth the effort.

Besides, they're only fun if they fight back. (It says here - I could actually use a straightforward kit for my next project... but then I'd only find a way of "improving" it.)

Thanks for sharing this.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to prove that my life hasn't all been disasters with Sea Hawks (se FAA GB thread for details...), the rotor head is now pretty much complete - just needs a few minor touch-ups with the OD paint.

efb55db1598bc747128bd3b54ab13b3f_zps3aac

773dcd1d92a259681cb3b071ca6fb27d_zpsbe34

Thanks for advice, Nigel; a session of gentle but persistent pressure with my hands seems to have sorted the blade droop.

The rest of the aircraft has gradually been acquiring its white paint (Vallejo 70.820 Off White, to be precise), and is now awaiting one final coat before being set aside to cure, pending the masking job for the red.

a91b7644b980a47716757e204a68d4ab_zps45c2

More soon. Thanks for looking, as always.

Crisp

• Like 1

Some colour, at last!

First, the monster masking job - a real pain, because of the need to get it vaguely symmetrical:

e9356fd50a521a7555241b1b69377af8_zps18a2

Then the first coat (of several, I suspect). It is not as pink in real life as this makes it look!

3d8ebcde38267aacd83ed62badc15446_zpsf75e

More soon.

Crisp

Looking awesome mate. Fond spot for the old battle sperm as it was the first helicopter I went solo in and have one in my stash (thanks to OzH!). And I confess to say I used the Gazelle as my own personal transport during my time as QHI at D&T sqn (sorry tax payer but who could resist land-aways at EGBJ or EGNC when bacon sarnies or Cumberland butties are soooo good).

Crispy, when you gonna paint it proper green and grey?

Edited by Lynx7