F/A-18A+ Hornet VMFA-142 (Flying Gators)

This is my project for this group build. It is the Academy kit, with markings from Authenticdecals to make a F/A-18+ from VFMA-142 when operating in Iraq in 2005. This was the first time that a reserve Sqn from the US Marines had deployed to a combat zone since 1953. I also have the Dr Pepper in takes for this model and a Wolfpack Design wing fold on order.

The kit.

F-18Hornet001_zps5ccbf4a5.jpg

The parts and instructions.

F-18Hornet002_zpsb15a128f.jpg

The extras so far.

F-18Hornet003_zps1ad8ed65.jpg

Some reading material.

F-18Hornet004_zps2c2d0122.jpg

Also as I am not that hot on the F/A-18 is it possible for some to tell me the main differences between the A, A+ and the C versions of the aircraft. Many thanks.

Edited by Jabba

Here is a quick update of where I am so far. I have put the lower back fuselage parts together and added the Dr Pepper resin intakes. I have also put together the lower parts of the fwd fuselage parts and what a pain they are to line up. I have also added the inserts into the Lerx area of the upper fuselage. No matter whos kit I am using I can never get these parts to fit coerrectly no matter how much time I take I always need some filler so that this area is smooth.

F-18Hornet005_zps1868b49f.jpg

Theis picture shows the tail sprue that I have taken from an Academy F/A-18A kit, as I have found out from other sources that this is the major external difference between an 18C and an 18A+. There are some other slight differences that I will do later, or as they are too small in this scale to notice ignore. This picture also shows the Wolfpack Design wing fold.

F-18Hornet006_zps204b0b14.jpg

Edited by Jabba

A quick update on what I have done this week. The main fuselage parts have been fitted together, filled and sanded down, as can be seen by this first two pictures. As I am using the wing fold set from Wolfpack Designs I have started to look at fitting the non folding part. I have noticed that they do not fit that well, and as a result I have added two small bits of plasti-card to the fwd fitting area to aid better fitment and also as one wing fitting tab is a bit short something to lay some filler on. Hopefully you will be able to see what I am on about in the second and third picture.

The wings at this point are not fitted just placed there so I can see what needs to be done.

F-18Hornet007_zpsb169a1b2.jpg

F-18Hornet008_zps1b527e9c.jpg

F-18Hornet009_zpsd67d51ea.jpg

Edited by Jabba

• 4 weeks later...

A quick update on where i am with this one. It is all together and now awaiting painting.

F-18Hornet010_zps1d28b614.jpg

F-18Hornet011_zpse2f8e5c2.jpg

F-18Hornet012_zps2c75057b.jpg

This picture shows the palstic parts from the kit added to the resin from the update set.

F-18Hornet013_zpsb9094f35.jpg

Since these pictures have been taken i have sprayed the U/C bays white in preparation for the paint scheme.

Edited by Jabba

A slight paint problem has occurred. I painted the underneath and a few other parts in FS36375 by Model Master, and then went to my so called trusty newHumbrol paint converter, which said tha the paint that I wanted FS36320 was 127.So I got a tin out and started to apply the paint, oly to find that it was a lot lighter than the lower colour. I then went to the older Humbrol converter which said that the paint that I required was 128. So I am going to apply this tonight and hopefully it will be darker than the lower colour. i did try the Model Master 36320 on the upper surfaces, but this came out almost the same shade as the lower colour.

I think that I had a similar problem when I was making a F-15C earlier this year. Oh well the trials and tribulations of modelling.

I have now got the model painted. i was hoping the get the U/C and wheels sprayed last night, only to find that my Halfords primer had run out. This will now have to wait until Friday or the wweekend when I can get down to my local Halfords. Then I shall get the U/C built so that I can start putting Klear on the model and so onto decalling.

F-18Hornet014_zpsbbafacc0.jpg

F-18Hornet015_zpsb47bc4ba.jpg

Edited by Jabba

A small update on my progress. I have applied the decals from the Authentic sheet, which were a little thicker than I am used to, and could be a bit brittle even after they were fitted to the model. The rest of the decals will come from the kit decal sheet, but I am not sure which style of walkway markings to apply as the sheet has three styles. Can anyone help?

F-18Hornet016_zps85b99b50.jpg

F-18Hornet017_zps22441eb0.jpg

F-18Hornet018_zps4496353e.jpg

F-18Hornet019_zps9634bba5.jpg

I have made up the fuel tanks, but still have to paint them, and I still have all the weaponry to build so still plenty to do.

Any comments are very welcome.

Edited by Jabba

• 2 weeks later...

I have now finished the decalling and have applied a little weathering and matt varnish, but there is some silvering in some off the decals. I have only done a small amount of weathering as this is the bosses aircraft and the US reserves do have a pride in keeping the bosses aircraft clean althoug I will do a bit more in the wheel bays. I have also made up the weapons and they are awaiting their own decals which I will do them this week, along with fitting some of the smaller parts.

F-18Hornet020_zps8d6a081b.jpg

F-18Hornet021_zpsfd9d7977.jpg

New weapons set that arrived.

F-18Hornet022_zps087f7ec6.jpg

The wepons minus fule tanks.

F-18Hornet023_zps29eda361.jpg

Edited by Jabba

• 2 weeks later...

Almost there. I have now added the weapons to thwe under wing and fuselage pylons, plus the flaps to the wing trailing edge. I have also added a few of the more breakable parts such as aerials, and I have put the sidewinders on the folded wing parts before I add them to the model, which will hopefully be tonight. The ejection seat is painted and ready to be fitted, plus I shall also be adding the rest of the parts tonight hopefully, so that it should be finished by tomorrow, all things going well.

F-18Hornet024_zpsc6d0a73e.jpg

F-18Hornet025_zps48ccec3a.jpg

F-18Hornet026_zps21fcfa12.jpg

Edited by Jabba