The Alternate Spitfire (v. pic heavy!)

The wooksta V2.0

This is a collection I've been working on for a few years now and eventually, I'll be writing a book around them (initial page layout templates and some modelling notes are done).

Basically, every mark of Spitfire is presented as a what if, from the Supermarine 224 "Shrew" right through to the Attacker, taking in the Seafire, Spiteful and Seafang along the way.

Last week's Northern Model Show saw the entire collection displayed in it's entirety, including one or two that were still holdovers from Telford 2012.

ModelPics061.jpg

ModelPics060.jpg

ModelPics059.jpg

ModelPics058.jpg

ModelPics057.jpg

ModelPics056.jpg

ModelPics055.jpg

ModelPics054.jpg

ModelPics053.jpg

ModelPics052.jpg

ModelPics051.jpg

ModelPics050.jpg

ModelPics049.jpg

Yep, that's A LOT of Spitfires! Roughly 10 per box and I had about 15 boxes at the show, so you do the maths... All of the major marks are now covered, I just have to do a few of the Seafires and Seafangs to finish the lot.

And this is the blog over on the What If forum that may detail some of the trials and tribulations that led up to Telford last year for many of the models featured here:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34762.0.html

Photos courtesy Chris Edwards

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
  • Like 15

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Those look brilliant Lee,

I`d love to see them in the flesh and take my time noticing the whiff element in each one! Great colours and markings too,

Cheers

Tony O

• 3 years later...

Just found this (it was linked in a current post), and I must they are all great!

Also, help is available, it is called Hurricane Therapy, where you are chained to a workbench and made to build 25 models of Hawker's finest.:pilot:

(Tongue firmly in cheek for the second part.)

DennisTheBear

• Like 1

Wow, that is an impressive collection of Spitfires and relatives.  And now i dont need to worry about the number in my stash, obviously I'm not as obsessed as I thought.

Is there a philosophy behind only doing Whiffs?  I had a quick look through the linked fora pages but didn't see / missed the reason?  Especially as on cursory inspection they look like believable might-have-beens such as a real operator's scheme on a mark not used by them?

Cheers

Will 

I've been building whifs since 1995 and just wanted a good subject to get my teeth into.  Spitfire fans largely want to do every mark - I know I do want to build real ones at some point - but doing them all as what ifs?  That's a bit more of a challenge and a lot of fun.  The research side is quite interesting too, knowing where the holes are to fill and the alternates that were missed.  You need that research when some joyless modelling numpty points out that the model is wrong.  Well, that and being able to lie blatantly with a straight face.  Add enough genuine facts and you can blag your way through.  Plus most Spitfire fans actually like them.

The linked fora pages are more of a Blog than a backstory and are quite often notes and reminders for me - my memory is shocking these days.

The above photos are of the full display at that stage.  There's a good 50 or so to add to that, quite probably more.  It's been a while since I tried counting them.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...