Fairey Rotodyne - Airfix 1/72

Wow! I am truly jealous of your skills. Those scratchbuilt parts and the extra details look fantastic. So clean and tidy. My scratchbuilding/extra detailing never looks that tidy.

I am really interested to see the finished result here.

Gary

Wow! I am truly jealous of your skills. Those scratchbuilt parts and the extra details look fantastic. So clean and tidy. My scratchbuilding/extra detailing never looks that tidy.

I am really interested to see the finished result here.

Gary

Cheers Gary, and the cheque's in the post ;)

What I've added is very simple really... time consuming but simple. It's my first attempt at scratch building an interior, and I'm pleased with the results so far. The basic kit has absolutely zilch in the cabin so something had to be done.

The trouble is that it takes a lot of time, and when the sun is shining outside, it soon means that 2 months have passed without even closing up the fuselage halves...

Mike

I'm not giving up just yet; soon but not yet.

I got a good few hours in over the weekend despite a few 'refreshments', hopefully the results don't show too much.

With the cabin almost done, I've started to look at sorting out the front office. The stock kit parts are simple and bare. I added some framing to the back wall using a photo in the Gibbings book for reference. The gauge is a little heavy but it was to hand and I only noticed once I'd stuck a few bits on. Never mind. The floor is the kit part.

CopyofRotodyne038_zpsaff88b1a.jpg

I removed the moulded throttle console and used thin plastic sheet to veneer the floor. This hides various holes and will also be curved down at the front as per the real floor.

CopyofRotodyne040_zpse904395a.jpg

The rest of the detailing will be done once the fuse is together.

Moving back to the cabin, I glued in the windows. I risked not using superglue for fear of fogging, instead using 'the world's best canopy glue'. Hmm... Two had popped out just during this weekend's handling.

Rotodyne042-Copy_zps73dc6c43.jpg

After painting the various furnishings and adding some wiring I attached them all to the floor:

Rotodyne041-Copy_zps208ee902.jpg

This assembly was then added to one half of the fuse:

Rotodyne043-Copy_zps1078ee1f.jpg

Finally, with less than a month to go before the end of the GB, the fuselage was cemented together. It took some persuasion to stay closed with the roof sandwiched in there.

Rotodyne044-Copy_zps659aa1ef.jpg

Rotodyne045-Copy_zpsbcd7275d.jpg

Finally for this instalment, I made a start on the engines. The first flight was conducted with the forward access panels removed for maximum cooling, so out came the drill.

Rotodyne046-Copy_zpsd0370494.jpg

1 panel off:

Rotodyne047-Copy_zpsdaf1ea93.jpg

All 4 off:

Rotodyne048-Copy_zps033d3dd0.jpg

Next will be detailing the engines...

Thanks for looking.

Mike

I like your work on the cockpit. I added a few more vertical ribs to mine to give an almost square pattern on the back wall and yes I must say your ribs are a little too big for my taste. I think I kept the centre console more or less intact but the glazing makes it difficult to see what's going on in there and my memory fails me.

The cabin equipment looks amazing, great work there.

I am very intrigued as to what those exposed engines are going to look like, can't wait.

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heath

• 5 months later...

I asked Mike about this last September and got this response:

"Thanks for enquiring. Sadly I have no progress to report at the moment. I lost some interest in the Rotodyne due to the slow pace and extra work required, which although rewarding has drained my enthusiasm.

I fully intend to pick it up again in the coming months but for now I'm finishing off a couple of other much more straight forward builds to allow me to get something on the shelf sooner!"

• 8 months later...

Done anything else to this Mike?

Um, erm, no. Since I parked it, I've done another group build and then decided on some easier projects to get my modelling mojo back.

Maybe 2015 will see it resumed?!

Mike

• Like 1

Um, erm, no. Since I parked it, I've done another group build and then decided on some easier projects to get my modelling mojo back.

Maybe 2015 will see it resumed?!

Mike

Fingers crossed, it was looking excellent so far. I have one of these in the stash but I'm holding off on it for now!

All the best.

• Like 1