1:72 Italeri A-129 Mangusta

Right then. Here goes. This is a lot of firsts for me. My first helicopter build since I was about 12, my first Group Build and my first ever WIP thread.

First step is to clear the modelling/dining table as it currently seems to be occupied:

IMG_20130607_234709_zps724a10e2.jpg

Right. Now that's done, where's the person responsible for getting me involved in this and dragging my modelling subject into the 21st century. Oh, there he is, clutching the birthday gift he bought me:

IMG_20130608_162551_zpscfbc10b1.jpg

Let's open the box (and the recent envelope I got in the post) up and see what we've got to work with:

IMG_20130608_162321_zps6ede4a11.jpg

What we have is an Italeri A-129 Mangusta, a canopy mask (which I hope will make up for the poorly designed canopy a little) and a sheet of ExtraTech PE. Up until this point I've only ever used PE once before and that was prepainted. Not sure how much of this I'll actually use but we'll see.

The kit itself looks pretty straightforward. The part count is very small as you can see and the instruction sheet only includes 5 build steps. Reviews suggest the kit is pretty simple to put together so putting it together shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

Decals are OOB. Not sure which I'll do yet, but since they seem to be pretty much the same paint-wise I guess I can make the decision a little later. I've done my first bit of scratch building on my Mosquito recently so I'll keep an eye out for any opportunities that are small enough to tackle with my limited skills. I might give some "remove before flight" labels a go at the very least. Every day is a school day I guess.

I'm a brush painter, which again raises questions about how to deal with the PE painting, but who knows. If anyone has any weathering and painting tips for olive drab paint schemes I'd appreciate them.

Time to get the can of primer out and get cracking I suppose. Wish me luck. :-)

Thanks Colin. As a subject it manages to be both unusual and mundane at the same time. Still, hopefully I should be able to do it justice.

I've found a walk around of one from the same unit as one of the schemes in the kit so that pretty much helps me decide which to do.

Feeling a bit out of my depth with this GB though. My fellow builders all seem way way more talented than me.

Right then. First step is to spray primer on the sprues. No idea if this is what everyone else does but it generally works for me. Mr Tamiya and his superfine white for me seems to do the job:

IMG_20130609_144852_zps75b705a8.jpg

With that out of the way it's time to make a start. Cockpit comes first and the seats need some work. They have a moulded seatbelt on them but it's pretty awful:

IMG_20130609_161522_zpsf9c4f6c4.jpg

So off with that and time for some PE. Vallejo model color buff and a silver pencil. Painted the seat a dark green as I can't find a photo of the seats anywhere. PE stuck on and we have this as the result:

IMG_20130609_161458_zps80aa2784.jpg

That's all for now. Time to sort the kids out and take them home.

Richard

Thanks guys. It needs filing down to get the shape of the back right and in that photo you can see the acrylics aren't sticking to the PE very well causing the paint on the buckles to flake a little.

The priming first is an interesting one. I'm a recent returner to modelling so I'm still kind of finding my feet. Since I brush paint everything apart from primer, I've found the easiest approach for me is to bulk prime everything at the outset and then I can paint most parts one at a time while they're still on the sprues. I'm also limited in my workspace so when I spray I have to do it outside in my garden. Because of that, priming each part as and when I want to paint it is just too much of a pain.

Had a busy week with work but hopefully I should get a bit more done in the next couple of days. I'll keep you updated.

Richard

I recall CJ built this kit some time back for HeliKitNews.... said it was a bit of a filler-queen, but overall accurate and trouble-free.

Keith Goodman built it here: http://www.kgwings.com/mangusta/mangusta.html

Only secret trick I know for weathering OD schemes is to mix in DAK Yellow for the 'fading' tones and dry-brushing highlights.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gary,

Yes, all a bit quite here I'm afraid. A number of reasons, including my desire to get my tamiya 1:48 mossie completed, as well as work, house move, divorce stuff and just the general complexities of life getting in the way. I'll do my best to try and find some time to do some more and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Richard

Don't you just hate it when life gets in the way of the important things like building models, it's one of the great injustices of life :)

I can accept all your reasons except for the 1:48 Mozzie. Putting a mozzie ahead of a helicopter?! That's just not on. ... I'm joking, I'm joking :)

Gary

Nooooooooo

Wings of any sort, whirly or bolted are contrivations of the devil...

(Nervous tics seem to be going away now, and the medication appears to be working... )

My bench is full of aircraft.....

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Steve

• Like 1

Having announced I was putting this aside to get the Mosquito done, it turns out that my missile was going badly so I thought I'd do a little more. Some of the cockpit PE is done and, having finished the tub, I've put the fuselage together and given it a light sanding.

Filler next.

Here are some pics:

IMG_20130709_195818_zps1f58c35f.jpg

IMG_20130709_204912_zpsb79a2798.jpg

That's all for now.

Richard

• 10 months later...