OzH in with a 1/48 Dragonfly - Finished

OzH

Here’s my entry – FM’s 1.48 Sikorski Dragonfly that I plan to do in Royal Navy markings from Belcher bits

Box top

Dscf7423_zpse79ec162.jpg

Multimedia bits

Dscf7424_zpsc1a529fb.jpg

Clear fuselage

DSCF7426_zpse3b3dbd3.jpg

Edited by OzH

Had some time today to start on the Dragonfly..

Spent most of it polishing the glazing, OOB it is very poor, so out came the dremel with a polishing head (yeah, yeah, less of the euphemisms...!) and a dip in Klear and things look a whole lot clearer...

Dscf7471_zps88043296.jpg

Dscf7474_zpsb6ae1450.jpg

Also had time to get most of the cockpit together, just about ready for paint..

Dscf7483_zps645640cf.jpg

At Isle of White Festival next weekend, so I don't think I'll be getting a lot done on this baby, hopefully, at leaset get some undercoat on...

Its good to get a start on it. Now I have got my teeth into mine I feel better about going back to work tomorrow. It will just be a case of counting down the days till Friday when I can build again. The Dragonfly looks like an interesting build.

Edited by snapper_city

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get some work done on the Dragonfly this week:

Masked the glazing, inside and out and have given the inside a coat of the interior colour

Dscf7485_zps8e189acc.jpg

Dsc00106_zpsd1598c51.jpg

Cockpit is now done, a few extra details and Mike Grant dials as well as Eduard seat belts. Painted in NATO Black then some dry brushing and red/brown wash.

Dscf7496_zpsf8e9438b.jpg

Dscf7494_zps3cd7c5fc.jpg

Dscf7493_zpsf4fd6c4d.jpg

Dscf7499_zps160661a0.jpg

Edited by OzH

This sort of build gives French short run kits a bad name.

It makes them look easy. But when us lesser mortals get hold of them we realise they are total pigs!

Looks fab.

Thanks for the comments guys...

What are the Mike Grant decals like?? I have got some on order for my little bird.

I love them, i have 72, 48 and 32 scale and mix and match as I need to. Really easy to use, settle down nicely. One thing i would say is don't get to fussy cutting them out exactly as the carrier film dissapears almost entirley

That's coming along nicely Oz and you`ve got further on yours that I have on mine! I hit a stumbling block when I realised that the Westland built Dragonflies flown by the Royal Navy had a box like structure within the fuselage in between the main undercarriage legs, which this kit doesn`t have because it is a US version and I`m still pondering how to go about recreating this! The only British ones that I`ve found so far which didn`t have this are a few Dark Earth and Dark Green camouflaged examples (US built?) flown by the RAF for casevac sorties in Malaya.

Are you going to reproduce this `box' or build the model without this?

Keep up the good work Oz, it is looking really great,

Cheers

Tony O

Edited by tonyot

That's coming along nicely Oz and you`ve got further on yours that I have on mine! I hit a stumbling block when I realised that the Westland built Dragonflies flown by the Royal Navy had a box like structure within the fuselage in between the main undercarriage legs, which this kit doesn`t have because it is a US version and I`m still pondering how to go about recreating this! The only British ones that I`ve found so far which didn`t have this are a few Dark Earth and Dark Green camouflaged examples (US built?) flown by the RAF for casevac sorties in Malaya.

Are you going to reproduce this `box' or build the model without this?

Keep up the good work Oz, it is looking really great,

Cheers

Tony O

Cheers Tony

I was planning on adding the box, that I think was to accomodate the Westland version of the engine, also worth noting that you need to update the exhaust slightly as well. A bit of scratch building should do the trick...

The Belcher kit gives you the options with the instructions giving you some idea as to what they should look like

Oz

• 3 weeks later...

A small update on the Dragonfly

Got the fuselage sides together. Even with loads of test fitting and filing I still needed some filler.

Dscf7508_zps03b5ea07.jpg

The white metal rotor shaft was so poor, I’ve had to scratch a replacement

Dscf7510_zpse68cb905.jpg

Next up, engine bay and exhaust modifications

Any updates Oz, I really want to see how you do the `box' as I have the same kit and also have to make this conversion in irder to build a Royal Navy aircraft,

Cheers

Tony O

Any updates Oz, I really want to see how you do the `box' as I have the same kit and also have to make this conversion in irder to build a Royal Navy aircraft,

Cheers

Tony O

Well its funny you should ask….

I cut a step into the rear underside of the fuselage, just behind where the rear legs will join and glued an oblong of (about) 3mm plastic sheet in at an angle.

I then masked off the area that I would need to fill, mainly to protect the rest of the model. I then filled in between the plastic sheet and the model with Humbrol filler, once dry, got out the filing sticks and set to work, re filled where it wasn’t right and filed again.

Once I was happy, I scribed the panel lines and access hatch (you can see where I messed this up and re-filled again!)

Drilled a couple of holes just forward of the plastic sheet and added (what I think may be) drain holes??

Also, scraped out the vent around exhaust outlet on the port side and re build using plastic strip and sheet, need a bit of a tidy up, but I’m happy….

Dscf7838_zps95113f64.jpg

Dscf7837_zpsd0f1391b.jpg

Dscf7840_zps31b075be.jpg

More work done today

She’s now on her feet

Dscf7852_zps4aa025ec.jpg

Also the additional intakes and outlets seen on the Westland version as well as work on the maintenance grab handles

Dscf7855_zps0c412c0d.jpg

Dscf7856_zps068e03ce.jpg

Rotor head complete with rotors cleaned up and drilled out with support rods

Dscf7858_zpse536412f.jpg

Fantastic Work Oz,

You`ve really grasped the bull by the horns mate and I`m looking forward to seeing it finished now, great work on the Westland `bulge'!

Cheers

Tony O