Trumpeter King Tiger

Hi Matt,

Not sure how much further I'll go on the interior detail, still wish to do an Early KT with the zimmerit finish. abt 501 or 503 most likely.

I really want to get the most authentic exterior finish possible without over doing it. The 1/35 trial has given me some ideas of what I want as a finished result.

Are you using primer for you acrylics or are you spraying colour straight onto the plastic surface? The reason I ask is the only pain I find with the acrylics spraying I've done mostly on aircraft is all the priming. The 1/35 KT was all enamels.

Phil

Hi Matt,

Not sure how much further I'll go on the interior detail, still wish to do an Early KT with the zimmerit finish. abt 501 or 503 most likely.

I really want to get the most authentic exterior finish possible without over doing it. The 1/35 trial has given me some ideas of what I want as a finished result.

Are you using primer for you acrylics or are you spraying colour straight onto the plastic surface? The reason I ask is the only pain I find with the acrylics spraying I've done mostly on aircraft is all the priming. The 1/35 KT was all enamels.

Phil

Hi Phil,

If your going to be concentrating on the exterior then your work load should be greatly reduced. Trumpeter did a rather good job on the exterior so there isn't too much to do. I think how much work you have to do on the interior depends on how you will display it. If you go for a 'through the hatches' version you can get away without doing most of the changes I've made. The kit provides separate panels for the engine bay and driver's/ RO's compartment so leaving these removable will require more work. Keep in mind that unless you cut open the turret, you can only see through the hatches. You can save yourself a lot of work here too.

As for priming before painting, it is a must when using acrylics on a multimedia kit, especially if you have done lots of scratch building. I find you just can't get the same level of coverage as you can with enamels. It's a pain to have to prime everything but it is worth it in the end.

Cheers

Matt

• 3 months later...

Hi Eric,

No further updates unfortunetly. I've just been getting over a loss of motivation and now home renovations are getting in the way :(

Hopefully I will be back in the swing of things in a month or so. I may even be able to squeeze in some work in the mean time, if I'm lucky!

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

After a little creative thinking, I managed to rearrange our spare room to create a small work space. It's not ideal but it's better than nothing!

It's been a while since I have done any work on this and getting back into it reminded me why. I lost motivation trying to come up with an alternative for the two large radiator hoses which Trumpeter provided in rubber instead of styrene. When I painted them up they looked awful so I needed to replace them. This time around I came up with a solution quite quickly. All I did was chop the connection point off and replace it with a drilled out craft bead, then wrap the hose in strips of aluminium foil

DSCF2719.jpg

Then I painted them in black grey and steal colours, along with a wash of burnt umber oils.

DSCF2724.jpg

Here they are in the engine bay. The ends aren't attached to anything.

DSCF2731.jpg

Strictly speaking, this setup isn't accurate as there should be a large fan where the hoses are at the base of the engine. I haven't bother including this as I don't want to spend hours scratch building parts that will never be seen. As you can see in the below photo, it is almost impossible to see anything down there once the coolant & fuel tanks are in position.

DSCF2727.jpg

I finished off with priming the remaining components for the engine bay, hopefully I can get these all painted tonight :)

DSCF2720.jpg

Cheers

Matt

• Like 2

Well I wasn't on here to see this project start but I'll hopefully see it come to a close. Nice work from what I've seen and it's good to see you picked the project back up!

Edited by The_Lancaster

Thanks everyone for your positive comments, I'm glad to finally be back working on this and your feed back really is great motivation :)

Mike, very flattering but I think that even if I receive an offer for it, I would turn it down. I'm getting far too attached to it!

I do have another update for you guys and it's quite a big one. I went a little mad over the last couple of days and pretty much completed the engine bay. There is only one small hose left to add bar the weathering. I worked too fast to take any in progress photos so here it is complete. Sorry for the rubbish photos, they don't quite capture the detail and tone of colour. I will post decent photos of all the interior before the upper hull is glued on, when I get there...

DSCF2755.jpg

DSCF2750.jpg

DSCF2756.jpg

This is what will be seen on the completed model

DSCF2757.jpg

I must say that all that endless work dry fitting everything over and over again has really paid off. It was a simple case of paint and fit, except some of the fiddly hoses which were a bit of a pain.

Also, I just wanted to ask you guys for your opinion on weathering the engine bay. I quite like the way it looks all clean and tidy but I have the urge to get the pigments out and at least give it a light dusting. What to you guys think?

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Hi Matt,

Looking good! I will post soon pics of my KT build so far, tomorrow.

Glad you have started up yours again.

I have a question regarding the Gunnar Janson metal barrel. Do you know where I could get hold of one or at least a good quality H turret L71.

I'm sure I could make the kit one come up nicely but I feel this huge tiger is crying out for a decent turned barrel.

Phil

Cheers guys :)

Just started my KT and this build has been a major inspiration to me. Glad to see you back in the saddle Matt, if mine is only 10% as good as yours I'll be happy.

Good luck with your build! Glad my build has been some form of inspriation but you might also want to check out this forum http://www.network54.com/Forum/637977/. You will find all the info you can ever need on the Tiger II there.

Fantastic work Matt.

I would go with some light weathering of the engine and surrounding compartment.

Simon.

I think your right Simon. As there is so many parts painted in just plain red oxide primer It might all look a little plain without weathing.

Hi Matt,

Looking good! I will post soon pics of my KT build so far, tomorrow.

Glad you have started up yours again.

I have a question regarding the Gunnar Janson metal barrel. Do you know where I could get hold of one or at least a good quality H turret L71.

I'm sure I could make the kit one come up nicely but I feel this huge tiger is crying out for a decent turned barrel.

Phil

Looking forward to seeing the first photos of your build Phil. For the barrel, Gunnar only ever made a couple of batches and they are long sold out. I managed to get one but that was 3 years ago and I was lucky to get it then! The only one I can think of is made by Schumo. It is actually for the Tamiya RC king tiger so it will require some modification to fit to the Trumpeter kit but others have used it and it looks very good. The only problem is Schumo parts are getting a little hard to find so you may have to do a little hunting. Add the Aber muzzle break to the Schumo barrel and you will have a first class L/71.

Cheers

Matt

Cheers guys :)

Good luck with your build! Glad my build has been some form of inspriation but you might also want to check out this forum http://www.network54.com/Forum/637977/. You will find all the info you can ever need on the Tiger II there.

I think your right Simon. As there is so many parts painted in just plain red oxide primer It might all look a little plain without weathing.

Looking forward to seeing the first photos of your build Phil. For the barrel, Gunnar only ever made a couple of batches and they are long sold out. I managed to get one but that was 3 years ago and I was lucky to get it then! The only one I can think of is made by Schumo. It is actually for the Tamiya RC king tiger so it will require some modification to fit to the Trumpeter kit but others have used it and it looks very good. The only problem is Schumo parts are getting a little hard to find so you may have to do a little hunting. Add the Aber muzzle break to the Schumo barrel and you will have a first class L/71.

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

You are right, Gunnar versions definetley look like history now. I've looked at the Schumo/Aber combo you are talking about.

Looks like Aber's smaller Muzzle brake of the H King Tiger L71 go very well with the Schumo, and yes that is becoming hard to find. Couldn't find any links anywhere apart form 'Frontline' in the US.

Maybe i'm going to have to pull something smart off the original, another challenge.

As for the KT progress i'll post some pics today. I'm also in the progress of repainting a Heng Long Tiger 1- (Bovington )Colour scheme. I'll be posting pics of that too.

Phil

• Like 1

will you add weathering to the interior,as well,or only the engine bay

There will be dirt and grime around the crew positions and engine bay with a dusting all over but any real wear will be kept to a minimum. I've been busy painting up the main components for the gearbox, transmission and drive shafts which again are mostly red oxide. I test fitted them and they look good but when the upper hull is fitted it all begins to look a little dark and bland. I'm hoping that a light pigment wash over all the parts will make the detail pop out again and give the interior a bit of life. If not it will look dark and dingy which is realistic but a little boring to look at!

Cheers Pagey.

As I mentioned earlier, I've been working on the main components for the drive train. Here are the parts in a basic coat of paint awaiting some washes.

DSCF2759.jpg

I dry fitted all these parts into the hull to get an idea of how it will all look. See what I mean about a lot of red oxide...

DSCF2770.jpg

DSCF2772.jpg

It looks ok like this but once the upper hull is on it all gets a bit darker.

DSCF2776.jpg

And it gets darker still with the turret in place.

DSCF2777.jpg

It's going to need some weathering to break up the monotone apperance. I think once the lighter coloured components are in place it will break things up a bit and help draw the eye away from the masses of red oxide.

Cheers

Matt

Phil not sure which muzzle brake you are looking for if it's the Henschel version have a look here. Just bought one myself but he has 2 left if it's what you're looking for.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381182165713?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks for the link, the muzzle brake is not so much of an issue to acquire. The L71 barrel is the issue.

The Schumo version is really the only one around, and that's becoming scarce now.

Might have to come up with something else? I've got the original looking promising at the moment.

Phil