Trumpeter King Tiger

A museum piece Matt, no doubt about it. I think you have set the benchmark here.

Re: Only issue is the carrier film for the turret number is still visible, sure I can figure something out.

What i do in this situation is get a pin and go over the decal making tiny holes, (invisible really). Then I brush Mr. Mark Softer and Mr. Mark Setter over the offending decal.

The holes let the fluid get underneath the decal and "pull it down" onto the surface again.

:)

• Like 1

Thanks Chaps :)

Thanks for the tip Julian, I will give that a go.

13 hours ago, Pegguins said:

Absolutely brilliant stuff. I'm just about to embark on their 1:16 panzer 4 (I like the F2 version), have you any tips? I'm a little worried about paint order and PE bending. 

It may be worth taking a look at Julian's Panzer IV build  HERE to get a good idea of what is involved and how to approach it.

My best tip would be to research the vehicle and try to understand how the real thing would of been built. It helps to think of it like it is on a factory production line. What parts would be painted together and what would be painted before fitting. Break down the build into separate sections like the engine bay, drivers compartment etc. Study the instructions and references carefully, identify all the parts relating to each area and colours of each component. Try to find out what each component is, where it fits in the model and what other parts it joins to. I found this helped me plan my build, so I always knew what needed to be done next and when certain items needed to be painted and fitted. I also found it quite interesting learning about the real vehicle.

My other tip is be prepared for losing motivation. I had points where I didn't work on it for months. If you are beginning to find things are becoming a chore, put it down and take a decent break. Last thing you want to do is force your way through it. 

As for the PE, I find that in 1/16 it is quite forgiving. If your worried about getting straight bends it might be worth investing in a folding tool like this. Worth the money if you use PE quite regularly.

Hope that helps!   

• Like 2

Hi guys,

Weathering of the turret is near complete. Lots of pigments have been dusted on and some rain / grime streaks added.

6C4F2ACE-A392-43F3-97F9-938ACD6ACF15.jpg

Spare track links have been painted in Tamiya burnt iron, ready for washes and pigments.

2A76C5FA-43E9-4F21-8283-C7A254C32E54.jpg

I kept paint chipping to a minimum, instead going for a dirty, scratched look.

761C511D-1D85-449D-841C-B1C21E914DFD.jpg

i also added a few stains on the flat part of the roof.

3CD6767A-E30B-46F1-9F82-3DA62EAD7EAB.jpg

Turret should be completed tonight :D

• Like 7

Thanks chaps :)

13 hours ago, Ridgback said:

Fantastic work Matt, what are you sing for the stains, looks really good.

The stains are Vallejo 'dark wash for dark yellow'. It's a medium brown acrylic based wash which I dabbed on and allowed it to spread out. I've had it sat in a draw for a couple of years so I thought I'd give it a go. The streaks are raw umber oils, thinned with turps. 

Cheers

Matt 

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Almost at the finish line now. Lower hull has been weathered.

E076F0A1-5E64-4242-9376-BFB7303F124C.jpg

CC1B8A29-D820-4ABF-B164-F65584DC7510.jpg

Tracks were painted in Tamiya dark iron, given a heavy oil wash and lots of pigments. I used the fire to help dry them quicker :D

C298BFC3-8FD4-4B9C-9AA0-242BFE4A77D8.jpg

Wheels painted and weathered

FDF70C10-D34C-4C34-ADDE-2CAD7A17576F.jpg

Wheels on along with sprockets and idlers

55DF6E47-FCF7-4A50-9675-A9D86CD18C8B.jpg

Finally, the tracks went on

A2C18321-B5F0-401C-9A68-E315BC4DAC14.jpg

8C2718A9-68A7-42BD-BFA1-9CE1F7BBD642.jpg

1842A4F4-64AF-46CE-BFB0-34D03E16949B.jpg

Not much left to do now. Better photos will follow one it's complete :D

Cheers

Matt

• Like 8

Hello,

I followed the build as soon as I discovered it ... Just an amazing big cat, the possibility you gave to see inside the model makes it very special B)

Good job !!!

E

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great comments chaps :thumbsup:

Just finishing up the last few bits now. Tools added to the left side.

52A8F2E4-E6F0-41B0-B2B4-8DA83CC5FB3C.jpg

I decided to fit the tow cable in it's normal position and also added the track cable. Aerial has also been added.

09EDE4A7-CE68-426E-B14A-0364B333E33D.jpg

That just about finishes the build. I still have some small details to add and a figure to paint but this is pretty much it. I will be posting up in RFI soon, with some better photos :D

7.jpg

Cheers

• Like 11

Smashing work Matt!

That's a proper piece of kit to put on the mantle :o 

I think I'm going to do something with a big ol' cannon kit next, won't be anything near to what you've built though!

There's a big display box yearning for a nice detailed piece of artillery waiting in the stash :P

Seeing your work I can't wait to get started!

• Like 1

Fantastic work Matt. Have you got any tips for applying the trumetal copper for shells? I've had a test on a few pieces of spare sprue and getting a nice cover doesnt seem possible. I try to brush it over black primed surface but i get horrible brush marks in it and small details (like the writing on the endcaps of the shell) seems to get drowned pretty easily.

Fantastic work Matt!

I really like the camo scheme you chose for your KT. Lovely work, particularly nice camo scheme on the L71 barrel.

Are you tempted by the 1/16 Jagdtiger? I've got one on order for Christmas. I will be posting a build like the KT. Once I've finished the Bismarck:-)

Good job in your KT it was an inspirational build for me.

phil

• 1 month later...

Congratulations on creating a fabulous piece of art! Beautiful work all round. I doubt I'll ever attempt such a kit...it being beyond my the capabilities of my wallet, so it's been a joy to see your work in progress.

Thanks for sharing, happy new year,

Rearguards,

Badder