Trumpeter King Tiger

Hi Matt,

Amazing build, it has left such an impression on me that I've somewhat copied your way of showing the interior by cutting out parts of the hull. Which brings me to my question; How are you planning on masking it when it comes to painting?

Many thanks, can't wait to see your next update!

Regards, Niek

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

P.S. I am held myself as it was decided that I build a new laundry/linens room before I get a hobby room, tough but fair is her motto! :weep:

I know how you feel Brian. Just when I thought I was getting my work space back, my wife decided she wanted the bedroom redecorated!

Hi Matt,

Amazing build, it has left such an impression on me that I've somewhat copied your way of showing the interior by cutting out parts of the hull. Which brings me to my question; How are you planning on masking it when it comes to painting?

Many thanks, can't wait to see your next update!

Regards, Niek

Thanks Niek :) I don't think masking it should be too much of a problem. I'm just going to take my time, being very careful with the tape. I do have concerns about this as any over spray into the interior would be a disaster.

Any updates Matt? I'm having withdrawal symptoms :)

I've been having withdrawal symptoms too. Itching to get going again. I have no updates just yet but good news, I have my work space back at last! First coats of primer will be going down on the turret basket later this week :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Eric :) How's your build going?

Well, I finally have an update at last. Primer went down on the turret basket last week and I have now nearly finished painting all of it. There is still a little bit of tidying up to do and the elevation gear is yet to be added. I'm just waiting for more paint to arrive, then it's on to the turret floor and main gun. The turret basket has been quite time consuming to paint due to some awkward masking and needing to paint all the individual parts first before fitting. There are some areas I'm not 100% happy with but overall I think it looks good. It's a shame that most of it will be difficult to see once the gun is in place.

P1000145%20Custom.jpg

P1000148%20Custom.jpg

P1000151%20Custom.jpg

P1000153%20Custom.jpg

Cheers

Matt

• Like 6

Thanks Eric :) How's your build going?

Beautiful work Matt

painting is really beautiful.

it is with pleasure that I will follow

My build is progressing slowly but surely but slowly :)

Edited by vfripouille
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks chaps :thumbsup:

I've been ploughing on with the painting, getting most to the turret complete. Still a few small details left to add and some tidying up to do. Quite a few photos this time!

P1000187%20Custom.jpg

P1000190%20Custom.jpg

P1000167%20Custom.jpg

Gunner's position

P1000175%20Custom.jpg

Loaders position

P1000181%20Custom.jpg

P1000173%20Custom.jpg

P1000194%20Custom.jpg

P1000200%20Custom.jpg

P1000206%20Custom.jpg

P1000156%20Custom.jpg

P1000161%20Custom.jpg

Cheers

Matt

• Like 7

Matt, that is a simply stunning build.

Although I'm usually an aircraft builder (hence the avatar), I'm seriously tempted by one of these. Having looked at the AFV shop site, I see that some of the resin parts are eye wateringly expensive. I usually factor in about 50% for upgrade parts but for this particular model, that probably won't be enough.

I wonder whether you'd be kind enough to to share what you consider are the 'must have' and 'nice to have' options.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps for the very kind comments, It's very much appreciated :thumbsup:

Not much left to do on the interior now and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel :D

Matt, that is a simply stunning build.

Although I'm usually an aircraft builder (hence the avatar), I'm seriously tempted by one of these. Having looked at the AFV shop site, I see that some of the resin parts are eye wateringly expensive. I usually factor in about 50% for upgrade parts but for this particular model, that probably won't be enough.

I wonder whether you'd be kind enough to to share what you consider are the 'must have' and 'nice to have' options.

Now that is a question! Totally agree that some of them are very expensive, and that's before you even think of the cumulative cost. I decided to buy one or two each month to at least spread the cost out over a year or so. As to what is essential, and what is nice to have, that is a difficult question to answer. It really depends on how comfortable you are scratch building and how much time you want to sink into the project.

I would say the essential items are the ammo racks, main gun sight, radio racks, mg ammo pouches, mg ammo belts, drivers periscope and the main engine coolant hose. The boxes and cases, demolition charges, MG barrel cases and turret loading roller could all reasonably be scratch built. You can get away with not fitting the gyrocompass / transformer as many Tiger IIs did not have one. The clear periscopes are a nice to have but not essential.

You also need to consider how you will display it. If you build it all closed up with only the hatches open you can save yourself a lot of time and money omitting things that simply won't be seen. Also depends how accurate you want to be. Built straight from the box this is still a very impressive kit

It's a hard question to answer as these 1/16 kits give you so much scope to pick and chose what you want to do. I guess personal preference and your wallet is the simple answer!

Cheers

Matt

• Like 4

Lovely work as usual Matt, and I admire your commitment to the build for three years now! :) It's when you see all that ammo festooned in every crevice that you realise just how brave/foolhardy tankers of any side were. Sure the KT had better armour than most, but they still got brewed up, and that can't be a nice way to go by any means :S

• Like 1

Thanks for the comprehensive answer Matt. I think that I will probably buy the resin sets over time as you suggest. I am happy scratch building and comfortable with PE having built a 350th Bismark with about 10 million PE parts - at least that's how it felt.

I will definitely be using your exceptional build as a reference.

Thanks again, Andy.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps :D

I've surprised myself that I've kept my motivation up for this build. 18 months ago there was no end in sight but now it is all finally coming together at last, I'm itching to get it finished!

Lovely work as usual Matt, and I admire your commitment to the build for three years now! :) It's when you see all that ammo festooned in every crevice that you realise just how brave/foolhardy tankers of any side were. Sure the KT had better armour than most, but they still got brewed up, and that can't be a nice way to go by any means :S

Agree with you there Mike. Regardless of which side these men were on, they were very brave indeed. I can't imagine what it must of been like to climb on board and seat yourself just inches from the ammunition, knowing the consequences of a penetrating hit. Certainly an unnerving thought.

Well having gained clearance from the financial director, I have ordered the model from a hobbyshop here in the UK. Wish me luck!

Nice one Andy, you won't regret it! Any plans for blogging the build?