1/48 MH-53M Pave Low, Iraq 2007/8.

Hello all,

Here is my first entry for this GB, Revell's CH-53GS/G converted to a MH-53M Pave Low of the 20th Special Operations Squadron, 1st Special Operations Wing, USAF.

The kit:

IMG_4445_zps4b7b1434.jpg

The plastic:

IMG_4446_zpsaa1b4331.jpg

The aftermarket:

IMG_4447_zps54a359e2.jpg

Will be using Cobra Company's MH-53 conversion set, MH-53 Interior set and MH-53 Weapons package along with Wolfpak decals and some extra resin for kit bags etc.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

As above. This will be a monster. Really looking forward to this... :popcorn:

Dave, one question though slightly off topic. The Cobra Company stuff where did you get it from? They seem to be a pain to order from and would like to get the sets for my DML UH-1N sometime...

Thanks chaps, and yes, going to be a bit of a beast!!

I obtained the Cobra Company stuff and decals from a chap on ARC who sold the lot to me for a great price. Kit was bought separately for less than £20.

Dave

Hey Dave,

Glad to see you're getting into the swing of things with two entries.

I ran an after school model building club at my boys school and we built this kit. 10 boys, 10 kits ... I still have nightmares about it :)

Gary

Wow, 10x H-53 in 1/48?!?! That's a LOT of plastic!!!

That it was. I got them on sale at a model shop on the web (who's name I can't remember) at a very good price.

The worst was that until the last session when the boys got to take the completed kit home. I would take the progressing builds home after each session otherwise it was guaranteed parts would get lost. I only have a Kia Picanto, so as the build progressed I started running out of car space to bring them in and take them home. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That it was. I got them on sale at a model shop on the web (who's name I can't remember) at a very good price.

The worst was that until the last session when the boys got to take the completed kit home. I would take the progressing builds home after each session otherwise it was guaranteed parts would get lost. I only have a Kia Picanto, so as the build progressed I started running out of car space to bring them in and take them home. :)

:mental:

:winkgrin:

-"Big Son of a Bi##h" !

Looking forward to this, I have a similar combination in the stash.

Edited by IXGR1

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for my delay in commencing my builds, I think i've somewhat over committed with another 2 coming up in the next month!

I don't want to miss out on this one, so will be starting on this coming Sunday or Monday.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Finally made a start on this today by beginning to add the 100+ resin pieces that are destined for the interior!

First, I cut out the door on the fuselage for one of the miniguns, and added the front landing gear well and main rotor strut:

IMG_4619_zps2f6e6d7c.jpg

The old plastic had the part numbers moulded on, so these had to be sanded away. Remarkably little flash from moulds dated 1985! Next, I began to add the lovely Cobra Company interior set. The Pave Lows were packed with avionics, and this is only one side!

IMG_4622_zpsd6d11fe9.jpg

Note also the support brace for the door gun has been attached. There's 11 individual resin pieces in the above picture. Next, I removed the cockpit floor then added the rear bulkhead with the necessary equipment boxes added:

IMG_4623_zpsd4dd8f75.jpg

Not much, but it's a start! Next up will be to assemble the all-resin cockpit and work on the huge avionics rack in the cabin.

More to come.

Dave

• Like 1

More progress today. 4 hours spent just prepping the resin and assembling the interior.

Cockpit ready for paint:

IMG_4651_zpsf2c5cc21.jpg

IMG_4652_zps81022431.jpg

IMG_4650_zpsa5c08125.jpg

And painted, ready for detailing:

IMG_4658_zps1c9113bc.jpg

From most of the pictures I've seen online of the MH-53, the cockpit section seems to be all black (much like the MH-60) and the cargo bay grey. I'm guessing this has something to do with NVGs or the like. It makes painting much easier anyway :lol:

More detail added to the fuselage, along with the floor and cockpit bulkhead inserted:

IMG_4649_zps068a6eb4.jpg

IMG_4648_zpsf3ed68a2.jpg

A couple of resin packs i've found that i'll add to the rear of the fuselage to beef it up a bit:

IMG_4654_zpsde459f77.jpg

Cargo bay painted:

IMG_4655_zps151a0d4a.jpg

IMG_4656_zps4510ad6b.jpg

The green pieces underneath the door gun positions are catch bags for empty cartridges. These were fitted when .50cals were used in place of the Miniguns. This was more common toward the end of the MH-53's service life as the .50's were favoured for their stand off accuracy. Miniguns were still used, sometimes on the ramp, which is what i'll be going for (ammunition box seen behind):

mh-53-main-cabin-rear-gun_zps1c855158.jp

Note also the fast rope in the background that i'll be adding too. Can't help but think that the minigun might have got in the way :lol:

Next up is to detail the cockpit and finish off the mass of avionics that need to go in the cargo bay.

More to come.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL
  • Like 1

Thanks mate. Yeah, it's going to be a bugger with all the resin and interior detail that is needed. Still a lot more to add and some tidy ups needed. Was going to add all the interior framework but decided it would take far too long and I lack the skill and patience!

Dave