RAF/RAN ordenance in 1/72 scale

RAGATIGER

Well there please help me here

Normally you can get some ordenance the old Airfix RAF/NATO weapons set in 1/72 scale but I also have in mind that´s a 90's issue and oop so other more accesible sources are

Other than Airfix kits in early 80´s when the Monogram Tornado MRCA was launched it included 8 x BL755 (I always think they're too big)

Hasegawa Sea Harrier you can get some 1000 pounders and a couple of Sea Eagles (not used by them anyway); Harrier Gr-3 some 1000 pounders and Matra 155 SNEAB rocket pod; F-16 family every one got a couple of BL755 cluster bombs, Jaguar you got 1000 pounders and Matra SNEAB rocket pod

Fujimi Phantom got strike camera, Sidewinder & Sparrow AIM, camera pod and Suu-23 gun pod

So my question here if I can attach a MER to central fuselaje pylon with 4-6 BL-755

also wonder of the accuracy of the above mentioned weaponly

Best modeling

BTW I´m reffering to 1/72 scale

Edited by RAGATIGER

IIRC the Fujimi recce pod in one of their RAF Phantom kits, is undersized. Instead I plan to use the same pod from the Matchbox Phantom kit when I eventually get around to build my 2 or 41 Sqn Phantom model.

Edited by Sten Ekedahl

I would not bother much with the ordnance included in the Airfix harrier GR.3 as the moulds are so worn that it's hard to discern any detail now...

Instead I'd look for the old mould Hawk that had the same 1000 Lbs bombs and rocket pods but made much better. As a bonus, the box also includes quite a decent kit of the Hawk

So my question here if I can attach a MER to central fuselaje pylon with 4-6 BL-755

If it's about a Phantom: I haven't seen any photos showing the MER with more but four BL.755s under the centreline (similarly, no photo showing more but two BL.755s under either of two underwing-installed TERs).

From what I've heard while researching about Iranians (their F-4Es used plenty of BL.755s during the war with Iraq), BL.755s were much too heavy but for more of them to be loaded at once.

The total looked something like this:

bl755_f-4m_834.jpg

450-RAF_Phantom_FGR-1.jpg

Otherwise, the few old photos of RN Phantoms operating from 'Ark show them carrying TERs with 454-Pounders underwing and under the centreline 'only' (alternativelly: TERs underwing, and centreline drop tank).

Regarding 'precision': if you mean that of BL.755s.... that weapon was a CBU (cluster bomb unit), designed for deployment from low altitudes. So, it was not really necessary to hit 'precisely'. From what I've heard (mainly about their deployment during the Iran-Iraq War), they proved to have a very good pattern of bomblet-spread, and Iranians used them with considerable success against concentrations of Iraqi armour and artillery. Major difference between them and contemporary US-made CBUs was that the latter would spread their CBUs - literaly - in a circle 'around' the aiming point (i.e. the aiming Point itself was not hit, but other objects around it were), while the BL.755 'neatly' covered 'everything' within the spread pattern.

Edited by Tom Cooper

Well there please help me here

Normally you can get some ordenance the old Airfix RAF/NATO weapons set in 1/72 scale but I also have in mind that´s a 90's issue and oop so other more accesible sources are

Other than Airfix kits in early 80´s when the Monogram Tornado MRCA was launched it included 8 x BL755 (I always think they're too big)

Hasegawa Sea Harrier you can get some 1000 pounders and a couple of Sea Eagles (not used by them anyway); Harrier Gr-3 some 1000 pounders and Matra 155 SNEAB rocket pod; F-16 family every one got a couple of BL755 cluster bombs, Jaguar you got 1000 pounders and Matra SNEAB rocket pod

Fujimi Phantom got strike camera, Sidewinder & Sparrow AIM, camera pod and Suu-23 gun pod

also wonder of the accuracy of the above mentioned weaponly

Best modeling

BTW I´m reffering to 1/72 scale

Which aircraft are you modelling?

Selwyn

Hi Selwyn

Fujimi RAF Phantom at Germany maybe 54 sqn but also planing to do an Iranian AF F-4E with BL755 in mid wing pylons mounted TER

Other option is to installed BL755 on TSR2 with F-111 BRU

Best day

Armando

Hi Selwyn

Fujimi RAF Phantom at Germany maybe 54 sqn but also planing to do an Iranian AF F-4E with BL755 in mid wing pylons mounted TER

Other option is to installed BL755 on TSR2 with F-111 BRU

Best day

Armando

The RAF's Camoflaged phantom used 1000lb bombs both free fall and retarded seen with single bomb on pylon or twin carriage on the inner pylon using the Carrier Bomb Triple Ejector "CBTE" which was a US TER modified to allow UK type bomb fusing. Also carried was the 18 shot 155 SNEB launcher, BL 755 Cluster bomb and the UK 540lb bomb.

What confused me was your RAN reference in the original post. I still don't know what the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) has to do with it, or was it a typo? did you mean Royal Navy (RN)?

if it is RN you mean you could also add the 2inch rocket pod as SNEB rockets were not permitted to be used off carriers.

The RAF and RN have never used MER's to my knowledge.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn