Concorde. Airfix 1:144 with Draw Decals

No intro needed for this one. I recently build the ICM kit of the Tupelov 144 and just had to do a Concorde to go with it. I had an old Airfix kit in the stash but the decals were yellowed and unusable, so I got a set of 'Chatham Dockyard' marking from Draw decals, as I rather like this clean and simple scheme. Built mostly out of the box apart from boxing in the main wheel wells and improving the undercarriage legs with a bit of detail. I kept the clear parts for the cockpit glazing, but used the decals frm the Draw sheet for the cabin windows.

Its not bad for a kit from the late 60's/early 70's, but its not the easiest to photograph!

Concorde1_zpsd414a80a.jpg

Concorde2_zps4b26a8df.jpg

Concorde3_zps0ebb3328.jpg

Concorde4_zpsf509c42c.jpg

And the reason I built it;

Concorde5_zpsf1b3caf6.jpg

Concorde6_zps71b427fe.jpg

Can't help thinking 'what a shame' every time I see Concorde, it'll be 10 years soon since it was withdrawn.

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 5

Such a stunning aircraft. If the Spitfire is the most beautiful aircraft then Concorde is a very close second. Had the privilege to do 2 weeks work experience on her in maintenance around 97/98. After seeing her most days at Heathrow it was a true end of an era when BA pulled them from service. Congratulations on your build.

Two beautiful models there mate,......I like the Chatham scheme on the Concorde too. Doesn`t the Ruski look `clunky' in comparison and a bit like a Penguin with those silly ears?

Cheers

Tony O

Edited by tonyot

nice pair of builds,done a job a few years ago at iran air in the west end of London and upstairs they had lots of airliner models in iran air colours and one of them was concorde!,wishful thinking methinks!

Would Iran Air have had options on Concordes at some stage? A number of airlines did, but never exercised. I believe Aer Lingus had options on two.

Joseph

• Like 1

nice pair of builds,done a job a few years ago at iran air in the west end of London and upstairs they had lots of airliner models in iran air colours and one of them was concorde!,wishful thinking methinks!

Wishful thinking, indeed, but on whose part? Iran Air's or BAC's? Iran did have an "order" for Concordes but that fell through, along with Pan Am, TWA, Lufthansa, JAL, Air-India, Qantas, err-r you-name-it. Only carriers other than BA and AF to fly it were Singapore Airlines (part lease from BA, very short-lived) and Braniff (who sadly didn't even get to paint their colourful scheme onto it; even shorter-lived and only Dulles to Dallas Fort Worth).

Just to add, a smashing model! The Airfix Concorde isn't bad at all, though the Revell wins in my opinion.

Edited by skippiebg

Iran was one of many airlines that had ordered over 100 Concordes, but, one by one they cancelled.

Two aircraft were earmarked for Iran Air...214 and 216. These were cancelled with the Iranian Revolution and the aircraft delivered to BA.

Iran Air was perhaps the closest apart from the two State airlines to receiving them.

Iran Air did charter Concordes on occasions operating as Iran Air flights.

Nice build...personally I preferred the Airfix to the Revell

• 2 weeks later...