CAF/RCAF CF-18 history in 1/72

So...This is my summer project.

I've been working on a few CF-18 related things lately and I thought this would be a good opportunity to build an model of the aircraft... I've actually never built one before. So when I heard about this build I went out and bought the kits. I recently finished two Marine D models that served over Iraq.

6M6_zpsaa69cac1.jpg

So a couple of things. First I want to build the four major variants of the CF-18.

1. In the original configuration... an 84A load from 410 Squadron Cold Lake in 1984 (Hasegawa)
  2. A twin seater with an 84A load from 410 Squadron Cold Lake 1984 (Hasegawa)
  3. Wartime PGM Load. This was crash program in the late 1990s that introduced the ability to drop Paveway LGBs.Its a rare configuration due to the lack of pods (applied to less than 20 aircraft for a short period of time as it was replaced by the next configuration.) I'll probably have it as one that flew over kosovo.(Fujimi?)
  4. ECP 583. This was the major upgrade program instituted in 2001. It gave the CF-18s completely new capabilities that put them on par with upgraded F/A-18A in US service. It was actually a program purchased from the US Government designed for upgrading Marine Corps fighters. Maybe I'll do it as one that flew over libya or defending the Vancouver Olympics in 2010. (academy)

I'm going to build at least one more as a gift to a pilot who helped me with some of my work recently. This will be an late 1980s aircraft.

That's basically it. The details might change a bit, but I've already bought the kits for it, and my stash has been getting a bit too big lately.

6V5_zps05507485.jpg

6V6_zps21a69ae8.jpg

For most of them I'm going to just add some photo etch and that's it. If I can source some intake trunks I'll do that too, or I'll try to scratch build that. That is a maybe... I'm going to be pressed for time. The benefit is that you'll also get to see all three major kits built in 1/72: Hasegawa, Academy and Fujimi. The Academy kit here is kinda a place holder: I have an international boxing being sent right now so I might just use the cockpit from this one until the other arrives then continue building from the new box. I can probably crank the hasegawa boxings out in a month and a half if I don't get too fancy with the intakes... the fujimi kit I know is a bear and takes quite a bit of time.

Should be fun. I'm excited!

Edited by -Neu-
  • Like 1

Thanks Les.

Plastic: thanks for the photos as well. That's a really nice clean build... mine's going to be a lot dirtier. You did a great job on getting the canopy colour on too!

Anyway I did a bit of work tonight. These are the three cockpits: Hasegawa - Fujimi - Academy.

6W1_zpsc9db0614.jpg

So, pretty clearly here its academy. the kit feels as cramped as a Hornet's cockpit should be, has pretty good raised detailing and the like. Fujimi is about the mid ground: its got some raised detail, but its too small on the side walls. Hasegawa is miles behind, with very basic details. ITs going to need the photoetch to dress it up a bit. I'll look at the seats later, as I intend to do some detailing there.

For the CF-18B, I noticed the kit's rear coaming was too round. I'm using a photo etch set, and it had a replacement set... but it seemed too angular.

6W2_zpsfe4b1ea1.jpg

So I decided to file the kit's offering to the correct shape. I took a sharpie indelible marker and marked out the areas to be cut:

6W6_zpsf1b59d69.jpg

and voila:

6W8_zps22055e40.jpg

I'll add some more detail tomorrow.

No progress today... but I do have some photos of CF-18Bs (since it seems to be the most interesting.) The first photo is a DND photo, the rest are from my friend's personal collection, and he's been very generous to share.

f18COCKPIT_zps801a03b5.gif

I like this photo because it shows the rear cockpit coaming shape. I don't know if I'll add that bar over top, but some other details I might add.

6X2_zps72bf3fc5.jpg

6X1_zps2d8f1211.jpg

These are european based aircraft, and you can see just how weathered these aircraft are from all of the aerial pollution. The insignia has been wiped clean, showing a major difference. 410 squadron ones were much less weathered because of the cleaner air over Northern Alberta. This however is a good reference for aircraft #5 that I will build.

Hopefully I'll have more tonight. I hope to do some IPs and bang seat detailing.

Edited by -Neu-

Alright. I've been unable to do much the last few days due to a family loss. However I did detail the seats. So this is what I'm going for:

mb--CF-18-01.jpg

(image courtesy of ejection seats.org)

Here is a lineup of the seats: I believe its academy-fujimi - Hasegawa - and modified hasegawa

6Y1_zpsbb8dbeb8.jpg

I don't like the flanges at the top I added so I'll probably replace them with a thinner version. Then I added some "fabric" using my favorite putty, Mori-mori. It goes on in a way that makes it easy to make it look organic (ie fabric-y)

6Y2_zps92f4789b.jpg

And here is them after some sanding.

6Y3_zps554bce2f.jpg

Next up is priming, painting and seatbelts, and then the pits themselves.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

Thanks John.

So I started working on the Hasegawa intakes over the weekend. I was originally considering getting a resin drop insert, but I never heard back from the retailer so I decided to make some myself. I used milliput in this case: allows me to sculpt alot of material with my hands. I didn't make them true intakes with fanblades; I just wanted to give depth which I'll accent with some black paint later. I just did the initial shaping. Its still rough inside but I'll pour some Mr. Surfacer 600 to fill in the cracks and gaps before sanding it smooth to get it looking right.

6Z1_zps09a267ab.jpg

6Z2_zps4e6e1b0a.jpg

Edited by -Neu-

A quick update... I've been working on the three hasegawa aircraft, but its taking awhile to get the intakes right.... pictures really wouldn't look much different between today and monday... but its getting there. I did work on the cockpits last night for the hasegawa. Sorry about the low quality of these photos... some of the details look washed out. I've got to do a bit more weathering in the cockpit and I'll add some stencils around the top of the seat and maybe the instrument panels. In general the photo etch sucks... I had to spruce them up a bit with some paint. I need to get the seats a little more flat too.

7B1_zpsc3fba00e.jpg

7B2_zps7d232ade.jpg

Edited by -Neu-

I like your solution for the intakes, I think that I will adopt your method for what is a weak area on my kit. :goodjob:

A critical (but time consuming) part of the process is to pour in Mr Surfacer to coat the interior and sand it down to smoothness. That really helps the interior... but it takes several pours to get it so that you don't see any imperfections.

Edited by -Neu-

Time for an update.

So this is one of the completed intakes... its been painted black inside, which I'll AB white over in a way that keeps it dark at the back so you can't see it. It works pretty well.... but you totally can't tell right now.

7C5_zps5a974fcf.jpg

Next up I needed to cut the flaps off. I used two tools; the JLC razor saw to get it 90% of the way, and the flat piece from the Hasegawa scriber set,

7C2_zps44cbba76.jpg

I also used the scriber to cut out the actuators, which I've saved. I then glued them back on, after I shaped the back of the flaps so they could be easily glued on. I didn't use the debris method someone posted, rather I was lazy and I just filed it down so it would get a good slope once glued.

7C6_zpsaa45ee96.jpg

Next I made the flap covers. I got a pop can, and traced out the design, which I then transfered to the metal. I then used the more robust scissors to cut the metal.

7C3_zps984df888.jpg

So that's with the part I glued on using cyanoacrylate. The little scissors are on the top right.

Here is a closeup of he covers.

7C4_zpsf4377eda.jpg

WE'll see how it goes next time when I prime it.

Hope you enjoyed this.

Neu

Thanks for the e-mail pointing out this GB to me. I liked it so much, I joined the Forum!

Good progress so far. I like the job you've done on the Dual rear instrument coaming, and the seats.

BTW, sweet reference photos of those dirty duals in Germany... they look strangely familiar! :speak_cool:

ALF

Hey Alf

I'm happy that you joined... any help you may be able to render would be awesome.

As for the kit I'm probably going to spend some time on the Fujimi and Academy ones because I'm a bit behind with them.

Hey Alf

I'm happy that you joined... any help you may be able to render would be awesome.

As for the kit I'm probably going to spend some time on the Fujimi and Academy ones because I'm a bit behind with them.

Standing by... but you're doing just fine without my help. Keep up the good work.

ALF

Quick question for you Alf.

I've become lazy: I don't want to do flaps for all five aircraft. So I'd like to put a pilot in the latest CF-18 (like the ECP583) aircraft. I guess I'll just do the Op Mobile scheme from the Winter set. So my question is whether there any time when the plane is on the ground when the flaps are not down? Like if the engine is started do they react as the hydraulics are powered up, or will they stay down until the aircraft takes off? IS there any way the canopy might be up? is there any other distinguishing things on the aircraft that I should note?

Edited by -Neu-

Quick question for you Alf.

I've become lazy: I don't want to do flaps for all five aircraft. So I'd like to put a pilot in the latest CF-18 (like the ECP583) aircraft. I guess I'll just do the Op Mobile scheme from the Winter set. So my question is whether there any time when the plane is on the ground when the flaps are not down? Like if the engine is started do they react as the hydraulics are powered up, or will they stay down until the aircraft takes off? IS there any way the canopy might be up? is there any other distinguishing things on the aircraft that I should note?

Neu

With a pilot inside, the flaps could conceivably be fully up on the ground. At some point in the pre-taxi checks, we selected all 3 modes of the FCS to make sure the control surfaces went to the right positions. Selecting flaps Auto on the ground (essentially means flaps up, but they are automatically scheduled with AOA in flight in the Auto position) would raise all flaps to the zero position, leading and trailing edge. So you could pose the wing flush, rudders at zero, and stabilators at any position (but 12 degrees nose up would be the normal position for FCS checks).

Another distinguishing point would be the two engines operating at idle. The nozzles would then be fully open, providing the closest to zero thrust possible. Even with the nozzles full open, residual thrust is enough while taxiing to push the aircraft along at a brisk clip (25 to 30 knots in the summer, almost 60 knots in the winter when the air is more dense). Both engines would be running in this state, because you don't check FCS until both hydraulic systems are pressurised.

Nice to see a kindred spirit; I get lazy too when I don't feel like hacking and chopping just to make things look a certain way.

ALF

Thanks Alf... I'll that information to good use.

So work continues on. I finished cutting some more flap covers, but most of my effort was spent on the Academy kit. I've got to be honest, I've built it before, and was less than enthralled. This kit reminded me why. It reminds me a bit of the Hasegawa F-4; way too fidily. In particular I don't like the forward fuselage; the break lines are not in an easy place to fix, especially with all of the details around.

7E3_zpsa12d54c0.jpg

I handbrushed the paint around the identification lamp so that I didn't have to mask it later and paint around it.

You can see the alignment issues in front of the LERX and the gap it created.

7E4_zpsbd95fd9f.jpg

I filled them in and sanded them down carefully... then re-scribed the lines if necessary.

Anyway... I can't seem to help myself, and I added at least some extra details... this one in the landing gear bay, which is underneath the triangle part that juts out.

7E2_zps81378770.jpg

I also put the pilot ere for reference. Its from the Hasegawa F-16 Block 50 kit... the helmet looks right for the JHMCs. I'll have to modify him a bit so that it looks a bit more realistic and so his legs can fit in the cockpit. I'm thinking of rotating his hand a bit... and maybe moving his head to the side.

7E1_zps8cf7ede7.jpg

And finally, here is a bit of a family shot. I've not included all of the wings that I've cut and prepared... so it looks like there is less progress than there actually is. I'm hoping that I can get some paint on these kits this weekend

7E6_zpsbaa9f6cb.jpg

Edited by -Neu-

No photos in this update, more of a planning post.

So this evening I've got like 8 hours to devote to building... I'm going to either start painting or get pretty close to starting one or both CF-18s (an Hasegawa and academy).

I've got a question for people. Has anybody seen a good scratchbuild of a F/A-18 flaps deployed? I kinda want to see if I can replicate the separation between the flaps, the covers and the wing (images courtesy of Cybermodeller)

frouch_cf-18_07.jpg

frouch_cf-18_09.jpg

I'm a bit confused how to replicate that effect. I can see it actually being extremely difficult, but I wanted to check if others have seen solutions to it.