DO-24T Aeronavale

Hi all, I've been wanting to join a groupbuild for a while, but haven't had the time. Hopefully the half-term hols will give me a bit of impetus that will carry me through when school starts again! At least all my kids have done their exams now!

The Italeri kit is 'fully upgraded', which given the rather rough surface texture suggests that they have spark-eroded the moulds to incorporate recessed panel lines. I don't have an 'old' italeri kit on hand to compare. The breakdown of the kit is utterly conventional, and doesn't have very many parts.

I will finish the kit as a rather attractive French Aeronavale machine operating out of Tunis in 1946.

P1020308_zpsde4edea8.jpg

I forgot to take sprue shots, but here's the main fuselage sprue to convince you all that I haven't been cheating!

P1020306_zpsa62316a5.jpg

P1020307_zpsd0426d1b.jpg

The build-up should be simple, and includes a few nice extras such as an etched fret. The fret isn't really essential, giving you some intakes, a rather fine fuselage-top walkway and a panel. Unfortunately the dials on the panel are only half-etched and so it will not really look mcuch better than an injection moulded part. I suppose Italeri provided it because it was cheaper than re-tooling the 'blank' plastic instrument panel part. A decal to go over it wouldn't have gone amiss though!

P1020309_zps01f6758d.jpg

The fit seems OK. Instead of starting in the cockpit, I decided to glue together the wings. The fit between the inner and outer wings is a little rough- the rather vague setting of the dihedral will need some filling and sanding to fill up the gaps created.

P1020310_zpsc8c29f70.jpg

There's rather a lot of glass on this mode,l, so I fully intend to 'cheat' and buy the montex mask set.

Updates soon

regds

Will

Do watch for the way the wing attaches to the hull. There are nothing like enough aids to it and butt-jointing the struts while trying to keep the wing level will drive you bonkers. You may want to insert your own locating pins.

Progress on cockpit. All OOB except masking tape belts- not bad for the age of the kit. Everything behind the bulkhead is hidden in the depths anyway (which is why I painted the seats a lighter shade of brown than is strictly accurate)

P1020312_zps9d5dc360.jpg

As I said above, the inclusion of an etched panel is a waste of time. The details are only half-etched depressions which makes picking out the characteristic German coloured bezels all but impossible (so I didn't bother!)

This is it for a while- the turrets need to be fitted when the fuselage halves are joined, and so I'm waiting on my masking set to arrive.

regds,

Will

Edited by Killingholme

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...