Hasegawa 1/48th F/A-18B Hornet 'Rough Raiders'

Time to pitch an entry into this group build, the first of hopefully two. This one is going to be 'Raider 400' which Lloyd has already planned to build but I can't resist doing it too. The basic kit is the Hasegawa 1/48th 'Test Pilots School' boxing of the 'B' model Hornet which I'll not add much too. At the moment I only have some Aires seat and the Fightertown Decals for the 'Rough Raiders' but I might add some wheels along the way.

Onto the piccies: -

The Kit

001_zps31a62242.jpg

002_zps04e781da.jpg

The Extras

005_zpsf516dc7c.jpg

003_zpsa2c3454a.jpg

The Absolutely Invaluable Reference

004_zps3de8c4e5.jpg

Looking forward to Saturday now and kicking off another fun group build

Pete

Time to pitch an entry into this group build, the first of hopefully two. This one is going to be 'Raider 400' which Lloyd has already planned to build but I can't resist doing it too. The basic kit is the Hasegawa 1/48th 'Test Pilots School' boxing of the 'B' model Hornet which I'll not add much too. At the moment I only have some Aires seat and the Fightertown Decals for the 'Rough Raiders' but I might add some wheels along the way.

Onto the piccies: -

The Kit

001_zps31a62242.jpg

002_zps04e781da.jpg

The Extras

005_zpsf516dc7c.jpg

The Absolutely Invaluable Reference

004_zps3de8c4e5.jpg

Looking forward to Saturday now and kicking off another fun group build

Pete

How does Jake's book compare to the DACO book?, is it worth getting both?

Shaun.

Shaun,

I've not seen the DACO book, so can't compare like for like. If it's anything the other DACO books, of which I have a few, then it will be similar in content. I think that both authors have their own supporters who would advocate which is best, but realistically both are very good references for modellers and it comes down to how much you need both or how much you want to spend.

Pete

I've been getting a little bit done on this one finally having spent some 'Aires' time on my other build getting the resin cockpit fitted. This one also needed some cockpit work as the Hasegawa kit has zero sidewall detail and the real deal has some. All was added with plasticard and beer can and I think that it's busy enough now to work, so the next step is to get some paint on.

Here's how it looks before: -

006_zps4ab5c9ce.jpg

And a few after: -

008_zps8c43eabd.jpg

009_zps35573416.jpg

010_zpsac9737ca.jpg

012_zpsb6d6b954.jpg

Back with more soon

Pete

Looking good,those seats look nice

I've also been doing the same on my build, I've added a little plastic card to decorate the side walls and it looks a lot better now.

Look forwards to seeing the painted cockpit.

Shaun.

Looking good,those seats look nice

I've also been doing the same on my build, I've added a little plastic card to decorate the side walls and it looks a lot better now.

Look forwards to seeing the painted cockpit.

Shaun.

Thanks Shaun,

It really does need something on the sides just to break up the flat plastic. When you think of how much effort Hasegawa spent on getting some detail in the undercarriage bays, it makes you wonder why they left this area so plain. It's a simple fix to add some bits though, so no great pain.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, thanks for the feedback guys.

Next some progress and the cockpit stage is nearly done. It's all glued to the bottom half of the fuselage and just need to spray a coat of white on the fuselage halves before getting it all together. I do need to wash the dust out of it though, as the pictures will show, but it's looking fairly pleasing and adding the sidewall detail has made it look a whole lot better. Onto the piccies of it in the fuselage halves, dry fitted together: -

013_zps2cb8a5f7.jpg

014_zps3783c22c.jpg

016_zpsd3bfa920.jpg

018_zpsf5e00c15.jpg

019_zps45804143.jpg

Should start to look like an F/A-18 soon

Pete

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Back with a small update but it is beginning to look like a Hornet at last. The usual amount of sanding and filling on the rear end took a while to finish but all is looking good now, until I get a coat of primer on and then, I'm sure, there will be more. I also took time out from the main bit to assemble the undercarriage. so that's ready too now. Just got the glass to clean up and fit, the flaps and a few odd bits to add before I can get a coat of grey on: -

020_zps3ae4d9ef.jpg

021_zps31ef161b.jpg

Really enjoying this one.

Pete

Now your getting there, funny how the air frame looks a little odd with a few bits missing (tails,flaps, gear doors).

Did you enjoy cleaning up the undercarriage legs?, got mine done last weekend.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Now your getting there, funny how the air frame looks a little odd with a few bits missing (tails,flaps, gear doors).

Did you enjoy cleaning up the undercarriage legs?, got mine done last weekend.

Shaun.

Shaun, I built a Super Hornet a few years ago and kept thinking that it didn't look right. Then, once I'd put the flaps on, it all took shape. I think that the proportions of the plane just look odd without these bits. I guess it shows just how huge the trailing edge flaps and ailerons are. The undercarriage legs weren't too bad just a few bits to clean up. The worst parts is gluing the plastic parts onto them and figuring out where they go to and from, especially on the main legs.

I've been watching your build too and it's coming on nicely. I saw the one that your building 'Ambush 07' at NAS Oceana a few years ago and have the decals to do it myself one day.

Pete

Shaun,

I've been watching your build too and it's coming on nicely. I saw the one that your building 'Ambush 07' at NAS Oceana a few years ago and have the decals to do it myself one day.

Pete

Would love to see one of the VFC-12 jets up close, bet they look cool in the flesh. Lucky you

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

• 2 weeks later...

I've been building this one alongside a CF-188A, also in the group build, so progress is slow but it's finally ready to start adding some colour. A last rinse to remove any dust and she goes into the paint shop soon after. Should be fun, I hope: -

022_zps79e419d3.jpg

Back soon

Pete

• 1 month later...