Ambush 07, F/A-18C Flanker, VFC-12 1/48th Hasegawa

Looking like a Hornet now.

The nose cone was replaced with the Wolfpack update set item.

This is a nice casting, it has the IFF bird slicers molded on (the reason I'm building Ambush 07) and the IFR probe is open.

The side vents have been filled to represent the newer mesh type and are replaced by a neat set of decals

Airframebuilt_zps4eaf1fdf.jpg

GPSdome_zps859060af.jpg

I've also filled the LEX vents(green dots), these will also be replaced by decals from the Wolfpack set. You can see the GPS dome has been added to the spine.

Now time to work on the fiddly bits like the undercarriage and tackle the flaps

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Did a bit more this weekend.

The flaps have now been added and I've cleaned up the castings for the metal gear legs.

Will post some progress shots tonight

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Spent the weekend getting the hi lift devices sorted out on my build.

The Hasegawa kit provided a great set of dropped surfaces, but they are not 100% accurate. My AMS had kicked in, so I've tried to resolve a few small issues.

The leading edge flaps on the real jet hinge downwards but on the kit when you set them down, it leaves a gap along the hinge area.

To fix this problem I filled the slot. By using Vallejo water based putty you can just wipe away the excess with a cotton bud and leave the surfaces detail undamaged. If you use tape to protect the surrounding area it also saves a lot of clean up. :thumbsup2:

fillingslat_zps1003892e.jpg

filledleadingedge_zps606aef88.jpg

Next to tackle the massive trailing edge flaps. The kit provides the flaps dropped to the the half flap setting, when Hornets park most aircraft display the flaps deployed to full droop.

To achieve this I bent the flap hinges once they had set to the lower setting, this sounds a lot easier than it was!!! but I'm happy with the results. :rolleyes:

fulllflap_zps76d5750e.jpg

All most time to get some primer on the model and see how the construction looks :P

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun
  • Like 1

Hi Shaun what is the difference between the to nose`s I can see the IIF Antennas but what else ?

Les

Edited by wellzy

Hi Shaun what is the difference between the to nose`s I can see the IIF Antennas but what else ?

Les

The IFR probe is open and the vent grills ahead of the nose gear doors are filled and are then replaced by decals to represent the later mesh style covers.You also get a resin piece to detail the front bay bulkhead(on the kit you have a seam running down the middle because of the joint between the halves).

I try and post a closer pic so you can see what i'm explaining.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Terrific job on filling the cracks between the LEF and wings. I may try that (my AMS is very selective, and should not require any medication).

ALF

The IFR probe is open and the vent grills ahead of the nose gear doors are filled and are then replaced by decals to represent the later mesh style covers.You also get a resin piece to detail the front bay bulkhead(on the kit you have a seam running down the middle because of the joint between the halves).

I try and post a closer pic so you can see what i'm explaining.

Shaun.

Thanks Shaun look forward to the pic ,

Les

Thanks Shaun look forward to the pic ,

Les

If you go on the Wolfpack site, there's a nice section of what you get in the set.

At the next photo op, I try and get a close up of the nose of my build.

Shaun.

Time for a small update-Although progress looks slow I've been doing a lot of small work!

filledpinmarks_zpse6250df8.jpg

The kits undercarriage doors have numerous ejection pin marks on their inside faces, so out with the filler and sandpaper :hypnotised:

I've also spruced up the kit PE part for the front wheel bay by adding some small plastic card blocks and adding larger wire on the PE part. You can also see the Wolfpack front bulkhead part which covers what would be a seam if the kits parts were used :thumbsup2:

Pylonandbuckets_zpsc3584997.jpg

Intake area has now also been cleaned up and rescribed. Flare buckets have been added and the center line pylon has been reshaped to the swept style found on later Hornets

Getting closer to priming now :winkgrin:

Edited by Shaun

Nice one Shaun. I've been looking at all those ejector pin marks on my 2 builds as well and keep putting them back in the box. I guess I'll have to do them sometime. I also can't make my mind up about those intake splitter plates, they look like it will be a real pain to paint behind them once glued on. Looking forward to seeing some paint on this one though.

Pete

I also can't make my mind up about those intake splitter plates, they look like it will be a real pain to paint behind them once glued on.

I painted the rear of the splitter plates and the adjacent fuselage in a slightly darker shade than the paint mix I was using for the lower fuselage. When I sprayed the lower, the splitter acted as a mask and gave a nice feathered blend between the two colours. Look at any photo of a Hornet and it's dark in the gap anyway. :)

All Looking good Shaun ,I have got to the splitter plates and thinkinf how to get round it

Les

The plates will be a pain, my plan is to use a fine airbrush and mist a few coats of the bottom colour behind the plate area.

All most ready to paint the main primer coat on, hopefully get it done this weekend if the heat wave does not hit.

Shaun.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update- all small parts and details now done and its time to start painting.

Here's the model in the mock up stage, before breaking down for priming and painting.

Mockupone_zps03e2900c.jpg

Mockuptwo_zps65612133.jpg

Not sure how long the painting is going to take?, got a busy weekend and a short week before heading for Fairford and the airshow. :thumbsup:

Shaun.

Got a coat of primer on the kit this week and everything looks good to start the main painting.

I've got to replan what to use for the main colours, the tins that I got the scheme don't match the real aircraft!! :shrug:

Shaun

Edited by Shaun