1/48 Hobby Boss F/A-18C "Chippy Ho" FINISHED

Plan is to build this OOB.

From what I have read on the web suggest the the top of the tail fines are two rounded and will need flattening. I believe the instruction / decals incorrectly assign the plane to the USS Carl Vinson when it should have been the USS Kitty Hawk.

So what's in the box?

Parts01_048HobbyBossFA-18C_zpsd95ba7c5.j

Parts02_048HobbyBossFA-18C_zpsff2d84bc.j

Parts03_048HobbyBossFA-18C_zpsfca36d9b.j

Parts04_048HobbyBossFA-18C_zps0ff4e89f.j

Parts05_048HobbyBossFA-18C_zps93d71191.j

Parts06_048HobbyBossFA-18C_zps622bebc6.j

Parts07_048HobbyBossFA-18C_zpsb01df2eb.j

Nice start. I added some plasticard tabs inside the fuselage of my a to help align it.

Phil its pretty much identical to the hase kit its just not as refined

• 4 weeks later...

Have been busy with work so not had much time at the model bench.

Have made a bit of progress, the main parts of the fuselage are together. Thanks for the tip about the plasticard tabs.

Build04_048HobbyBossFA-18C_zps0073db46.j

Had a little trouble with the nose. Without a bit of surgery is sat a couple of mm low.

Before:

Build06_048HobbyBossFA-18C_zpsb1909f6d.j

Had to double the width of the slot in the back off the nose to allow me to align the nose correctly.

Build08_048HobbyBossFA-18C_zps8461ffda.j

After:

Build07_048HobbyBossFA-18C_zps7422d56b.j

• 2 weeks later...

Made the decision to drop the flaps, makes it look more interesting to my mind.. As supplied they can only be built in the up position.

The fittings are quite fragile so following a bit of gentle bending and a quick swipe with a razor saw.

Build11_048HobbyBossFA-18C_zpscb7de970.j

Build13_048HobbyBossFA-18C_zpsfdef7af0.j

Not sure how long they will stay in position, got a bad feeling that they will drop further under their own weight.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the encouragement. Think this one is going down to the wire. Got some colour on and made a start with the decaling

Build17_048HobbyBossFA-18C_zps59283b17.j

Thought I got a better match on the greens until I saw the photo. Also the large decals on the tail were a PITA, took lots of Mirco Sol for them to settle down, In hindsight might have been a better idea to paint the fin white, and trim most of the white from the decal.

Thanks for the encouragement. Think this one is going down to the wire. Got some colour on and made a start with the decaling

Looking good, have you finished the dangly bits yet?

I'm progressing with my build,but the dead line is looming!!

Shaun.

• 2 weeks later...

Deadline approaching and I am almost their. Just need to tidy a few bit up and fix the canopy and I will call it finished. As I am not around for most of the weekend I am not going to have time to hang any hardware from it.

Build21_048HobbyBossFA-18C_zpsbabfb76b.j

Build20_048HobbyBossFA-18C_zpsaacbd2cd.j

I am calling this one finished

Finished08_FA-18CChippyHo048HobbyBoss_zp

Not sure how accurate the markings are but the instructions only had a single side view, but looks nice and colourful in the cabinet.

At some time I might hang some ordnance from the wings, but making and painting the stores is one part of the modelling process I really don't enjoy.