CF-188A - 410 Squadron RCAF 75th Anniversary Scheme - Final Update

Managed to get a bit done over the weekend. Fitted the aft avionics bay and cockpit tub which meant that I could then join the fuselage halves.

CIMG2130_zps63c8832c.jpg

CIMG2129_zps241ea530.jpg

I then had a look at the wings. I had intended using the Airframe replacement parts for these but when I checked on the fit I was very disappointed. There was a large gap underneath at the fuselage join. I checked the instructions again and it says that these items are suitable for Academy and Hasegawa kits and with some modification could be used on Hobbycraft and Revell kits. I do not know which Hasegawa kit they are referring to but it is not this one.

So I decided I would have to modify the kit wings and proceeded to cut off the leading edge and flaps, then I added some thin plasticard for the flap covers. I now need to modify the flaps a little to get a better fit to the fuselage side.

Stbd. wing leading edge and flaps separated.

CIMG2127_zps07944694.jpg

Plasticard strip added to port wing

CIMG2128_zpsc4276122.jpg

• Like 1

More done today, added the instrument panel and coaming and filled in the gaps around that.

CIMG2131_zps1310f85b.jpg

CIMG2132_zpsf17d325e.jpg

Then, having already made the cuts for the replacement wings, I had to add some detail to the back of the rear fuselage.

CIMG2133_zps238add24.jpg

Also did some more work on the wings. I added some extra plastic to the port flap last night and sanded that down level with the surfaces whilst trying to keep a thin trailing edge, then I reshaped the inner edge. I also glued the leading edge spoiler back on and filled the gap with some plastic strip, I sanded this flush with the surface. I am quite pleased with the result. I will try and add the extra plastic to the starboard side later, but that depends on what the boss wants me to do when she comes home.

CIMG2135_zpsa836d6ca.jpg

Nice work so far mate, looks well.

Dave

Cheers Dave. I am quite pleased with the progress I have made so far this week, bit of a bugger with the wings but I have got around that by modifying the kit wings. I just hope that I can use them on my Academy kit when I get around to doing that one.

Hey Nimrod

Awesome job... I feel as If I should have invested in some detail sets because that cockpit and gear bays look fantastic. I like the work you did on the flaps as well... really well done. Keep it up!

Hey Nimrod

Awesome job... I feel as If I should have invested in some detail sets because that cockpit and gear bays look fantastic. I like the work you did on the flaps as well... really well done. Keep it up!

Thanks a lot buddy, I was able to complete the starboard wing yesterday and got some primer on both. The AM stuff is looking good now that it is in place but, though it is made for this manufactures kit, it has taken a lot of work to get it to fit. I have had to thin both kit and the part until they are almost see through in some cases. In fact in order to get the office in there I had to remove material from the top of the nose-wheel bay and it was so thin that I had to add a thin coat of superglue to strengthen it.

So whilst it looks good it has been a lot of work and considering what you are looking to achieve, it may have driven you nuts. Great things going on in your build as well by the way.

• 1 month later...

Back on with this build again now, I have been doing this for a friend for the last few weeks http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234944453-1144th-bea-dh-89a-dragon-rapide/.

Just a small update, wings and tailplane's have been fitted, I have also added etch details to slime lights, wing tip pylons and HUD. I can't do much more this week, we have a family celebration planned for our son, who was married in Kosovo earlier in the year. Hopefully a big push next and it should be well on the way to completion, I will just have to see how it goes.

CIMG2175_zps80b98843.jpg

CIMG2177_zps792bc00e.jpg

CIMG2178_zps326b8d41.jpg

CIMG2176_zps6c9e9064.jpg

CIMG2174_zps36d61611.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK folks, let me apologise for the lack of updates, but it has been a crazy couple of weeks around here since my last post - which has left little time for modelling. However, I have managed to tidy a few of the seams up, added the flaps, HUD and forward canopy section. Still a lot to do and I don't know if I will make the deadline, I can see this turning out to be like the 1/144th GB where I finished with just a couple of hours to spare. I also resolved the nose-gear issue, this dummy was fitting it in the wrong spot, :banghead: just goes to show you should always read the instructions carefully.

I was able to get some primer on today and noticed that I still need to tidy one or two areas up and rescribe in a couple of others. Here are some photos of progress to date.

Thanks for looking.

CIMG2183_zps88c4032d.jpg

CIMG2184_zps9cacfacd.jpg

CIMG2185_zpsbec30aa3.jpg

I've had a bad day today whilst trying to get this finished. I managed to get the Blue Grey top colour on late yesterday and spent this morning masking off for the Blue, I am using Tamiya X4 for this. I don't know if I have had the pressure to my airbrush set too high or not thinned the paint enough but I ended up with a finish that looked as rough as a bears bottom. This is the first time I have airbrushed Tamiya paint, but from everything that I have read they are supposed to be great for this.

So I have wet sanded the blue back and will try again tomorrow, but I don't think that I will complete this in time, anyway for what it is worth here are a couple of shots of progress up to now, and I shall post pics of how far I get tomorrow.

CIMG2188_zpsa248444f.jpg

CIMG2186_zps159ac6b4.jpg

John, that's a real shame but hope tomorrow is a better day as this scheme will look really good when finished.

Pete

Thanks Pete, after yesterday's debacle I am obviously not going to make the deadline. But on a more positive note I have managed to get a coat of blue on this morning and I am just waiting for that to dry. Whilst it is not perfect it certainly looks better than yesterday, I think that I hadn't thinned the paint enough so I added more thinners in today's batch and that has gone on much better. I will finish it and post pictures here or in RFI when it is done.

Update to the above at 14:35

Here are a couple of photos after re-spraying the blue, I am going to leave it for today to allow the paint to harden before masking off for the underside colour.

CIMG2190_zps30f6b326.jpg

CIMG2189_zps8388862a.jpg

This will be the last update here, I will post final pictures in RFI when I have finished. Got the underside colour on today, need to tidy up a couple of areas where it has bled through, then gloss coat and on with decalling.

CIMG2191_zps0cd1aa38.jpg

CIMG2192_zpsd957ce50.jpg