CF-188A - 410 Squadron RCAF 75th Anniversary Scheme - Final Update

This is my entry, I am looking forward to starting and to watching progress on other builds. It looks like there will be some interesting schemes.

I am going to use this kit

IMG_3391_zpsb74aec3d.jpg

with these resin replacements - Cockpit, Wings and Wheel Bays.

IMG_3392_zps455e6cd8.jpg

and I plan to use these decals by Leading Edge and not those in the kit.

IMG_3393_zps8838fc2b.jpg

• Like 1

Great looking scheme!

Dave

Nice scheme

Nice, If I have time I will be doing a second build. A CF jet with D Day anniversary markings

Great scheme look forward to your build

Les

Cheers to all, I have had the Leading Edge decals for a while now and then I picked up a kit with the same scheme, but some of the decals in there seem a little bright. I just hope that I can get a good match for the Dark Blue colour and that I mix enough if that is the way I have to go.

Ray S

Hope that you do get enough time to model your CF D-Day option. Is it the 50th anniversary scheme with invasion stripes and checker-board rudders?

Ray S

Hope that you do get enough time to model your CF D-Day option. Is it the 50th anniversary scheme with invasion stripes and checker-board rudders?

Hey John, certainly is. The Leading Edge sheet is very comprehensive and does one of two different aircraft.

• Like 1

OK off we go then, I don't think that I have put this much resin into a kit before. I made a start on the lower fuselage by removing the undercarriage bays. I wasn't sure how I was going to do this but decided in the end to chain drill and then join the dots as it were ........

CIMG2075_zpsb946698b.jpg

CIMG2074_zps292ead3a.jpg

........ and after some clean up this is where I am up to.

CIMG2077_zpsb3384d04.jpg

However, this wasn't without it's problems, a bit of over zealous work with a mini drill led to me blowing through the fuselage side in a couple of places. I also noticed that the Aries nosebay replacement is a little shorter than the kit bay.

CIMG2079_zpsf218a112.jpg

So bit more work on the fit of the nosebay and then on with the upper fuselage changes to accomodate the cockpit. I hope that is a bit easier to fit.

Nice work cutting out the various parts... I think as a general comment, the 1/72 Hornet kits are about the worst ever for landing bay details... there isn't a good one in the bunch.

Nice, If I have time I will be doing a second build. A CF jet with D Day anniversary markings

I know the pilot of that particular aircraft... It would be cool to see.

Nice work cutting out the various parts... I think as a general comment, the 1/72 Hornet kits are about the worst ever for landing bay details... there isn't a good one in the bunch.

Cheers bud, just hope that I can get everything lined up properly when I add the bays. I think that I may have to do a bit more lower half assembly before I put them in then temporarily add the u/c legs to check it all.

So , the work on the undercarriage bays continues apace. I realised today that I would also have to modify the intake area to allow the main undercarriage bays to fit. I removed the bulk of the material with a mini drill and a small mill then I had to clean up the rest with a scalpel and some files.

The photos below show one side before modification and the other side before the final clean up.

CIMG2091_zpsc24942b8.jpg

CIMG2094_zps16554d25.jpg

I also made a start on some of the cockpit parts. I first removed the coaming then added the kit spine extension and the area behind the seat from the resin set.

CIMG2085_zpsc1612718.jpg

Then it was on with a dry fit of the cockpit and seat.

CIMG2082_zpse5731cf9.jpg

Hope to get primer and paint on some of the resin tomorrow and then I can carry on with a final fit and close the fuselage halves up.

Coming on nicely.

Coming on very nice good work on the pit

Les

Cheers guys, not done a lot today mangaged to get some white gloss on the undercarriage bays, primed all the cockpit parts and I hope to get some paint on those bits tomorrow.

Just a small update. I've spent the last couple of days fitting the resin undercarriage bays. I am going to have an issue with the nose u/c leg because of the depth of the replacement bay, as a result the leg sits deeper and the lights are well up inside the bay. I will need to mod it later although the main legs are not too bad, any ideas/suggestions about how to tackle this would be welcome.

Main Undercarriage Bays

CIMG2095_zps050fd897.jpg

Nosewheel Bay

CIMG2096_zps3bed8512.jpg

Next steps will be to fill the gaps around the resin, touch up the paint and paint some of the details in the bays. Then I want to add the searchlight to the hole that I drilled earlier in the build and try to repair the damage to the side-wall, which can be seen at the back of the photo below.

CIMG2097_zps14a341de.jpg

Managed to do a bit more work on the lower fuselage this morning, I plugged the holes for the centre-line tank with some stretched sprue. The photos of this aircraft show it as not fitted.

CIMG2104_zps9d874065.jpg

I also made a start on repairing the damage to the side...........

CIMG2102_zps7f895a0c.jpg

CIMG2101_zps6a000b78.jpg

...... and added a box to house the searchlight, then used a Little Cars lens for the light.

CIMG2099_zpsccf6e4fb.jpg

CIMG2100_zpse5058be3.jpg

• Like 1

Hi John She`s coming on good like the added searchlight

Les

Nice progress John!

Cheers guys, just been tinkering about with the cockpit since the last update and today I cut the resin wings from their casting blocks. Boy are they out of shape, so plenty of hot water and some gentle persuasion is the order of the day.

I will post some more photos of progress soon.

Spent time doing a few bits and pieces before I have to complete the fuselage join. I have added some plastic strips to hide the join between resin cockpit tub and the kit part, this will become part of the canopy rail.

CIMG2105_zps264bafea.jpg

and another test fit of the cockpit tub

CIMG2106_zps8db3d917.jpg

Then on with the removal of more kit plastic to accommodate the resin wings. It requires more work to fill in the gaps and I will have to add the detail which is seen in the photos of F-18's to this area.

CIMG2107_zps97c734ef.jpg

I also cut the wings from their casting blocks but they are going to need a bath in some hot water to straighten them out.

CIMG2112_zpsca050cc1.jpg

CIMG2110_zpse11b4fe0.jpg

Then it was on with some work to deflect the rudders.

CIMG2108_zps001c89cf.jpg
CIMG2109_zps023844df.jpg

Every-time I think that I am almost ready to complete the fuselage join I find that I want to do something else to help with things later in the build, c'est la vie.

Very nice attention to detail. At first glance, I was convinced this was in 1/48 scale - but then I realized the wheel wells weren't right for that kit. I'm impressed with the way in which you've made the details look fantastic in this tiny scale.

Be careful with those old Leading Edge decals. Are you planning to coat them with Liquid Decal Film before use? LEM products of that era were notorious for shattering, and as they age their propensity to self-destruct increases. I recently did a build of a 2003 demo CF-18 with 10 year-old LEM decals, and even with the liquid decal film some of them shattered.

ALF

Very nice attention to detail. At first glance, I was convinced this was in 1/48 scale - but then I realized the wheel wells weren't right for that kit. I'm impressed with the way in which you've made the details look fantastic in this tiny scale.

Be careful with those old Leading Edge decals. Are you planning to coat them with Liquid Decal Film before use? LEM products of that era were notorious for shattering, and as they age their propensity to self-destruct increases. I recently did a build of a 2003 demo CF-18 with 10 year-old LEM decals, and even with the liquid decal film some of them shattered.

ALF

Thanks for the comments and heads-up on the decal issues ALF, I will take your advice and give them a coat of something, hopefully this will keep them together and I always have the kit decals to fall back on. The slime lights in that set are what I can only describe as canary yellow so I would need to replace those

Mini Update.

After further checks of photos I have discovered that the searchlight on this particular aircraft probably had the window covered, but I like the look of the uncovered window and light fitted and have seen that configuration on some of the later display schemes, so I think that I am going to live with my error.

I have been painting some of the details on the Aires IP, cockpit and aft avionics bay as well as doing some work on the seat. I need to do a bit more rubbing down of the two inserts on the underside of the LERX, and then I will have to re-scribe some of panel lines. I just think that it is easier to tackle these areas before joining the fuselage halves.

Next job on the list is to tackle the intake areas, I did think of using NEU's method for this but I may see if I can't do something different to reduce the see through effect. I'll post some photos of what I come up with soon.

Progress is rather slow at the moment. I hope that I can get myself into gear speed things up, need to finish within the next month or so because the son and heir plus spouse is visiting in August so don't know how much I will get done then.

Anyway here are some photos of the completed cockpit, rear avionics bay and also the bang-seat with its first coats of paint. this needs detailing and dry brushing.

CIMG2119_zps921d0b1d.jpg

CIMG2118_zps8a4ff43c.jpg

CIMG2120_zps1f1ed3da.jpg

My solution to the intake problem was to add some thin plasticard and paint the area black to try and reduce the see through effect. I will see what they look like when I give them a coat of white, if I am not happy I can always add some intake covers.

CIMG2121_zpsc0608787.jpg

CIMG2126_zps13913a84.jpg