Zvezda Varyag 1/350 Finished

Hi all, I intended getting this finished for a trip to Scotland last year to give to my father, but the trip never happened. However, I went up at the weekend and finished the ship in time and then we finished the whisky!! :drink:
VARYAG_zps7a4a5324.jpg
The bottle that started it all.

Varyag080_zps2ae2b3a0.jpg

Varyag062_zps60b6bdb5.jpg

Varyag068_zps900a0342.jpg

Varyag069_zps9957df0c.jpg

Varyag065_zps0f2fe8c5.jpg

Varyag070_zpsa7d10d56.jpg

Varyag086_zps8ede3507.jpg

DSC_0152_zpsd5aeb53a.jpg

Varyag084_zps7eaca924.jpg

I've noticed from the pics that there are a few things I should have spent more time on and will probably fix them the next time I head north.

Also, between my Dad, Brother, Great Uncle Ronnie and myself, I now have an empty bottle!!!

Cheerz all,

Jockster

• Like 11

That's a stunning model, great colours, everything looks so sharp, the PE and rigging are amazing. The crew are a nice touch as well.

The bottle of whisky is a fine companion :)

That looks great, with the older ships you just cannot view them properly from old black and white photos taken from sea level, the model really brings them to life (well for me anyway)

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you gents, my dad was pleased and I'm glad he is because I love this model and it has been painful knowing I wasn't keeping it. I will make another though and I will improve on a few things such as....

1) I turned the masts from brass stock but used the kit yards, big mistake so next time will turn the yards too.

2) I will use a wooden deck, probably Hunter.

3) I will make molds of and cast more of the small deck ventilators, the real Varyag had them in positions along the bulwarks as well as on deck.

4) Rework the guns and searchlights.

5) Weather the funnels, deckhouses and hull before adding the rigging and portholes.

6) Use Alclad II polished brass for the props as the Humbrol brass is too dull I think. (I used Alclad on my Yamatos' props and love the finish!)

But again, thanks fellas for your kind comments, this was my first ship model and it taught me an awful lot as well as it being probably my favourite all time build and an immense amount of fun building her.

The Zvezda kit is excellent but does need some etchwork from WEM or someone. Shar2 is building his using the Eduard kit and having seen the frets on the net, I would have preferred the WEM set to be more similar in terms of construction as the WEM wheelhouse was a pain to assemble. That said, I will be using the WEM set for the next one.

Thanks all for bringing back a smile on my ugly mug! :thumbsup:

Thank you kindly Russ and Frank, rigging was a nightmare mostly using uni-caenis thread. Got plenty of experience tying tiny knots using two pairs of tweezers.

:banghead:

• 2 weeks later...

The Zvezda kit is excellent but does need some etchwork from WEM or someone. Shar2 is building his using the Eduard kit and having seen the frets on the net, I would have preferred the WEM set to be more similar in terms of construction as the WEM wheelhouse was a pain to assemble. That said, I will be using the WEM set for the next one.

Thanks all for bringing back a smile on my ugly mug! :thumbsup:

Jockster, I have this one in my stash too, so maybe this will prompt me to do this one next. Gold Medal Models do this as an etched set too, as a combination set with the Borodino (also a Zvezda kit). I found the GMM set for the Borodino was brilliant, the railings were marked for bend points, the etch itself was pretty substantial and not flimsy, and the wheelhouse was a simple build, so that may be worth considering too.

I too cannot believe this was your first ship build! Great work and look forward to seeing many more floaty things from you!

All the best, Ray

• Like 1

Thanks Ray, I just recently posted my second build, a hobby boss Alfa sub, the bar is set high on these forums which has helped me get the look that I'm after on my builds and I find myself repeatedly going back to look at quite a few builds by other modellers. Oh how I love the work on britmodeller!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Bad news from Scotland, apparently while my Uncle had the model to photograph, my Auntie dropped a pillow on top of it while the case was off. I'm waiting for pictures of the damage to come through to see if it is repairable. :poo: