Trumpeter 1:32 A-1D

Whilst waiting for diorama materials to show up in the post, I decided to crack open the Trumpeter Spad. It's a great looking kit.. Looks like a Skyraider, there's even a slew of parts (most of the PE, in fact) that's meant for a H.. Which, I'm pretty sure is merely a decal set away. Also, the number of and detail on the ribs suggest that there may be an AEW version on the way too..

I've decided to crack on with some sub assemblies, I.e. the engine (75 parts..) and cockpit... The engine is loosely held together for now..

140486920d7d10b048de40b09468090c_zps8940

be87ca668489b6b498d357ab158692aa_zps136c

0d598b427c8b8b78661362303a4f093a_zpsa1f2

This is not small..

d01d0045709ea80e4f6a89d23010341c_zps088e

• Like 1

Started putting some paint on the pit. I started with Alclad duralumin, then Vallejo model air interior green, followed by Vallejo bronze green and black grey. Between the layers I put some hairspray and liquid mask to aid in the weathering.. The bronze green is because it's a Korean War vet, and, I've been told, that's the colour they were back then, until the end of the war, after which they were grey..g

Duralumin..

b48c6a4d8bf5150c14eaf85d935783ec_zpsf182

Interior green (didn't show up, ultimately..)

837f72afc38a41c63b7c7f7944f2cf9e_zps4352

Bronze green, black and worn effect..

53f97d09821badfd4f89e0870211d328_zps89c8

Washes and red highlights..

0b9d6857c8b920e956237a27f75e4a9e_zps0362

22998e9fc4447eaf8a3c9cc06f3bfcf2_zps1474

• Like 2

Thanks chaps..

From what I can tell, all you need is the decals for a Sandy..

..not that that's going to deter me from getting another one.. There's so many options that I plan to do one of each release.. I really, reeeeaaaallllly hope they do an A1-E version..

Beautiful work there - excellent pit , better than the ZM one ,,.

As to a USAF Sandy , you can't build one from the Trumpter kit unless you add the armour round the fordward fusalage - and add some attitional antenna.. better wait for the Trumpter E , or dig deep and get the ZM USAF Sandy .. sorry

The lump's coming along.. In the process of adding the harness.. I'm not completely thrilled with it, but it's not going to be seen all that clearly, especially with the intake flaps being closed..

The detail is a bit simpler than the ZM kit's lump, but it'll do..

fff49cf47e833cf1a02e4ff042f2741b_zpsbde4

• Like 2

The rusty burnt looking things are something to do with the ignition, and I've based the colour of them on a reference.. I've seen them vary in colour from the dark metallic brown to pale aluminium.. But never the less, they whole block was painted with Alclad semi matt aluminium, with Vallejo washes of black and sepia. The doodads in question, however, received a brushing of Vallejo brown glaze. The inlet manifolds are painted with Vallejo gunmetal grey.

I'm going to attack the exaust pipes with Alclad steel and burnt iron, as well as some Tamiya buff, perhaps, and some clear blue..

wow a second one!!!

Oh I soooo want one now, just love the detail, for me it would have to be a Nam vintage version. Just have no room for a 32nd version!!!

Love you detailing work, very very nice!!!

will be following this build with interest........and wishing I could have one!

wow a second one!!!

Oh I soooo want one now, just love the detail, for me it would have to be a Nam vintage version. Just have no room for a 32nd version!!!

Love you detailing work, very very nice!!!

will be following this build with interest........and wishing I could have one!

Thanks!

I'd wanted the Vietnam version too, but as I'm enjoying this one, I'll happily buy another.. As for the size: The wings fold ;)

As for the size: The wings fold ;)

hmmm I think it will take a bit more than that to fit....have shelves full with 1/48 stuff mostly nightfighters, and they take up lots of room!!!

Hmm if it came out in a nightfighter version........ :banghead:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :crying:

thats mean.......... not quite the nightfighter I was thinking.....but oooo look at all those wonderful thinks the go bang! :D

to little room and too many project to complete.........maybe next year, maybe VNAF colour scheme!

There's a cool photo of one doing a beatup over a beach, in Nam I think, less the 1/2 a wing span above the beach! :mental: