Reference thread

• 3 weeks later...

A good site from Canada's DND. Lots of pics of CF-18s here. The link I have posted is for the Libyan operation; if you do a search on CF-18 you'll find many more photos of Canadian Hornets.

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=photos&template=detail_eng.np&field=itemid&op=matches&value=51755&site=combatcamera

ALF

While search Hornet pics tonight I came across this wonderfull shot :thumbsup:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7567178&nseq=78

Great photo; thanks Shaun.

I'm planning on modelling 'Black 26' in the not too distant -so interesting to me that at the time of shooting, it had a port rudder in primer(?) and the MARINES service identifier on the same side...an option I didn't know I had!

Does anyone know what colour the net is that covers the aft avionics bay, is it a metallic colour such as aluminium or is it a grey that has a sheen due to the material used?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Sorry guys just realised that I have posted this in the wrong place, think that it should be in chat. Could one of the moderators please move it to the correct place. Cheers

Does anyone know what colour the net is that covers the aft avionics bay, is it a metallic colour such as aluminium or is it a grey that has a sheen due to the material used?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Sorry guys just realised that I have posted this in the wrong place, think that it should be in chat. Could one of the moderators please move it to the correct place. Cheers

The net that covers the aft avionics bay is made of a silver-coloured metal mesh. It is metal so that it forms part of the electronic shielding of the aircraft - what I mean by that is the gap left by the bay must be covered by a material that conducts electro-magnetic energy, to prevent static in the radios. The metal mesh is held in place with velcro fasteners around its perimeter, to ensure it stays in place, and can be peeled back to access the bay if/when required.

I have flown sometimes with the cover unsealed, and it was usually without event, unless I flew in ice crystals at high altitudes. The aircraft would experience a static electricity build-up in the ice crystals, and when the net was not seated properly, radio transmissions were so static-filled that they were almost unintelligible.

I tend to paint the area of the net a dark colour (a dark green or almost black), then dry-brush a dull aluminum colour where the mesh is to bring out the mesh pattern in a silver hue.

ALF

The net that covers the aft avionics bay is made of a silver-coloured metal mesh. It is metal so that it forms part of the electronic shielding of the aircraft - what I mean by that is the gap left by the bay must be covered by a material that conducts electro-magnetic energy, to prevent static in the radios. The metal mesh is held in place with velcro fasteners around its perimeter, to ensure it stays in place, and can be peeled back to access the bay if/when required.

I have flown sometimes with the cover unsealed, and it was usually without event, unless I flew in ice crystals at high altitudes. The aircraft would experience a static electricity build-up in the ice crystals, and when the net was not seated properly, radio transmissions were so static-filled that they were almost unintelligible.

I tend to paint the area of the net a dark colour (a dark green or almost black), then dry-brush a dull aluminum colour where the mesh is to bring out the mesh pattern in a silver hue.

ALF

Thanks for the info ALF, that's really useful. I didn't know that it was used to shield the radio equipment.