Trumpeter 1/32 Skyraider , with a Difference

I was going to build this straight from the box , but the temptation to make an AEW is just too great. Im not saying that this will be 100% accurate as im only working from photos.

The first bit i have done is the fairing behind the canopy. I have built it from one of the kit drop tanks and some plasticard. Alot of fiddling and sanding later and i think it looks OK. Thats one thing done. Next i need to fill the side airbrakes , scribe a door and cut a window , plasticard finlets , wheel well fairings , vent on top of fairing , flame dampeners , oh yes and that big radome. Not much then...

DSC_7442_zpsd6c2b2ce.jpg

DSC_7443_zpsc3997b8e.jpg

• Like 3

Good for you,.......I did wonder if anybody would try this and I`ll be watching this with interest. I`m intrigued as to how you will do the radome but Trumpeter will probably announce that they are doing an AEW version as soon as you`ve done all of the hard work!

Good luck,

Tony O

I have made the finlets for the tailplanes. I didnt want to fit them top and bottom so i made 1 piece ones that fit into slots cut in the tailplanes. They are only rough for now and need padding out a bit.

DSC_7444_zps5b4ab2bb.jpg

DSC_7445_zps82e44443.jpg

Here's a couple of pix I took of an ex FAA AEW.3/Swedish target tug at North Weald in the late 80's. Obviously, the Swedes had removed the radome.

7cbe4086.jpg

11a20967.jpg

HTH

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry people i have been a bit lazy with the updates. The fuselage and wings are now built. I have filled the speedbrakes , and scribed a door with window cut out. The biggest challenge has been overcome , that being the radome. I got some measurements from a kind member and i have carved one from laminated Balsa. It still needs some filling and sealing but on the whole im happy.

001-3_zps85c51f89.jpg

That looks great,....well done indeed!

Have you thought of using it as a master and doing some resin copies, I`m sure that there are a few people here on Britmodeller who would buy one from you. One of the cottage industry manufacturers might also be interested,....just a thought?

Keep up the good work,

Tony O

gee that's a real challenge you’ve taken on, as someone else said, it’s great to see someone build something not straight from the box.

At 1/32nd it will be big! Though it does help with the scratch building part to be working on something this large.

Love these aircraft, will have to add to the never ending wish list....though 1/48 as I just don’t have the room.

Will be following with interest.

Wow!! That is really 'back to basics' modelling! I can't remember where it was (Cosford or Yeavilton??) but there is a museum and I drove around the area away from the manin museum site and there, sitting all forlorn and rotting away, was an ex-RN Skyraider. I wouldn't finish the radome off too smoothly as I seem to recall the original had dents all over it!

Great to see this conversion taking shape, looking forward to seeing this one finished.