SKIF 1/35 T-54 Northern Alliance Afghanistan

SKIF T-54 Northern Alliance.

When I decide to build a model it has to meet some criteria:-

1/ It must be an interesting subject to research and build.

2/ It must be an accurate and easy to assemble kit.

3/ It must cost around £12.

Sometimes I have to relax rule 2 to comply with rule 3

This is one of those times!

I bought this kit on Ebay after reading online reviews which were generally unflattering. Upon opening the kit I found that it came with an additional resin turret and hatches. I had intended this model to be a quick 'knock up' but ended up becoming quite involved in it. I am not really interested in absolute accuracy, preferring atmosphere and perhaps a little story telling.

001.jpg

This shows an early stage of the build. Note the Trumpeter tracks I bought on Ebay (cheaply) as the kit tracks are really poor.
They do not fit over the drive sprockets at all well. I had to cut parts off.
As the build goes on the impact of this bothers me less and less.
(Purists may not agree but each to his or her own!)

The picture also shows attempts to improve the stowage boxes, the brass wire stowage hooks, the distressed tyres and missing wheel hub cover as well as the copper shim exhaust cover made by burnishing a piece of shim over the original.

002.jpg

This shows the unsatisfactory track run over the drive sprocket and the representation of the rubber covered fabric material of the mudguards.
These were made by cutting Plasticard with serated 'Superscissors'. The tow cable is a commercial item.

003.jpg

The cable stowage is of a type seen in the 'Topshots' T-55 walkaround book. It may be correct for certain versions of the T54/55.
I don't know and don't really care. The lighting conduits are from plastic rod.

The fuel tanks come with the top surface detail raised instead of engraved. The detail was removed and engraved with my famous 55 year old Xacto No1 knife. A nightmare, but worth it in the end.

004.jpg

The scratchbuilt cable stowage and fuel pipes (plastic tube and electrical wire)

005.jpg

The story so far

Edited by Mac the Modelling Knife

Aluminium foil from wine or port bottles was burnished over the original mudguards.
These were trimmed, distressed and strengthened by painting the inside with superglue.

The model was then airbrushed with Lifecolour Russian Dark Olive.
After being allowed to dry it was sprayed with a fine mist hairspray (Because you're worth it)
Some areas on the top were given a coat of the same paint lightened with white.
The paint was distressed with water and a stiff brush to make a weathered finish.

The same technique was used on the oil drum.
i.e. Shades of Lifecolour rust (brushed), hairspray, blue & white (sprayed), distressed with stiff brush.

The effects can be seen in the following frames.

006.JPG

007.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

Now the tank has had some hand painting and weathering, the numbers applied using stencils, and some stowage added from Value Gear of Dublin. (If you don't know of this stuff, look it up. it is excellent!!!) p.s. Didn't do all this tonight.

DSCF0823.JPG

I am working on some figures for the vehicle. This (unfinished) one is converted from an Afrika Korps crewman.

DSCF0860.JPG

More Later.

Edited by Mac the Modelling Knife