1/72 - Martin PBM-5/-5A Mariner by Minicraft - released - Academy rebox

Homebee

1/72nd Martin PBM-5/-5A Mariner kit by Minicraft - ref. 11669.

Release is reported as imminent. The kit was presented at the Shizuoka Hobby Show 2013

Source: http://happy.ap.teacup.com/applet/runchickens/20130516/archive

We need now a 1/48th injected kit of this beauty to replace the old POMK resin kit.

11669_3-D_1024x1024.jpg?v=1379623174

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

Might be tempted by this. Even though I predominantly model in 1/48, big planes are just impractical for me space-wise - so this may be ideal

Hmmm - same with me Andy - I usually build WWII in 1:48 but this would be quite big in this scale. I probaly would not order the Academy kit, but if it appears in some LHS in front of me I probably will be grapping it... The Mariner just looks too cool not to buy it.

Glad this is finally seeing the light of day, been waiting years since it was first announced. I'll need to find a Nazi flying saucer for a dogfight double over Antarctica!

Wonder if the 1/48th Gulfstream IV will ever turn up?

Paul Harrison

Glad this is finally seeing the light of day, been waiting years since it was first announced. I'll need to find a Nazi flying saucer for a dogfight double over Antarctica!

Wonder if the 1/48th Gulfstream IV will ever turn up?

Paul Harrison

"a Nazi flying saucer for a dogfight double over Antarctica" ??? :analintruder:

Didn't Anigrand came up with one? Ah no - it is 1-144... There are paper models of this subject available - maybe they can act as a basis for a scratchbuild.

• 1 month later...

Oi.....That's my idea! :lol:

Bit concerned about the RRP on this one.....Looks like Minicraft are taking the Dragon/Hasegawa route: http://www.cybermodeler.com/news/minicraft.shtml

What's that going to be over here.....£40+ I shouldn't wonder! :mental:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at more plans and station drawings, we have come to the conclusion that my previous "cut here" idea will not work as the deficiency is at the upper side of the hull, not the lower side as we first thought.
We are designing a fix that will correct the hull depth and tailplane sit at this point as they are too low.
This will be needed for all models as it did not change between variants.

MP1070612_zpsdee88d1a.jpg

I see the kit is now said to be available from HLJ at a steep US$90. Others advertise it rather cheaper but may not have it in stock.

Braz did the CAD for them (Revell's B-17, C-17, Mosquito, Lancaster plus some other too inc. the new 1/32 Hawk and He219). http://www.brazmodels.com/Index.htm

Paul Harrison

Edited by GreenDragon

Wonder what references they went off?

One of the problems is that there are a number of drawings out there which are all subtly different. The drawing above is the Martin company station drawing which we have verified as best we can with published dimensions. The overall shallowness of the hull is not that noticeable and best ignored whereas the shallow aft section is quite obvious from rear views of Mariners and should have been picked up. The problem seems to be that the 'kick-up' in the upper fuselage line is not pronounced enough. Never fear, our conversion will fix it.

Braz did the CAD for them (Revell's B-17, C-17, Mosquito, Lancaster plus some others

I have been told by a usually reliable source that they also did the 1/72 Revell Halifax.

x

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'll reserve judgement until I see the plastic but the box top seems to indicate that the same inaccurate engines and propellers and the cartoon radome are carried over from the previous kit so you will still need the Red Roo fix-up set. We'll maybe issue a different version of the fix-up kit if the Minicraft beaching gear is any good. Hopefully they copied ours.

PS: don't forget that KORA / LF Models have some different decal sets for this one.

Unfortunately not very good. However there are aftermarket decals from Caracal and Condor which are quite good.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

It appears Minicraft sneaked the PBM-5 flying boat on to the market in the last year or so. I have managed to get my hands on one and we spent some time in the Red Roo workshop examining the beaching gear with great interest. Unfortunately for us, while the legs appear correct, the tanks are somewhat oversized and the wheels a bit undersized. This means we will have to consider making our conversion available again............ sigh.