New Derek Robinson out -- A Splendid Little War

Maybe it was just me, but I'm a big Derek Robinson fan, and I missed this, which apparently came out in January:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Splendid-Little-War-Derek-Robinson/dp/0857052292/

A Splendid Little War combines all the hallmarks of DR's classic "War Story" or "Piece of Cake" -- cynical, believable characters, black humour, convincing flying experiences -- with an unusual setting: the "White Russian" war of 1919, in which RAF squadrons were despatched to fight the Bolsheviks from Black Sea aerodromes.

If you're a long-standing Derek Robinson fan, you'll need no persuading to buy it; and if you're not, why not? But if you're not, don't start with this one... all his excellent WW1 and WW2 books are available again, it seems:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Derek-Robinson/e/B001ITRFQE

War Story is the first WW1 book, followed by Hornet's Sting and Goshawk Squadron

Piece of Cake followed by A Good Clean Fight cover fighter ops in WW2, and Damned Good Show is the Bomber Command one...

bestest,

M.

Maybe it was just me, but I'm a big Derek Robinson fan, and I missed this, which apparently came out in January:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Splendid-Little-War-Derek-Robinson/dp/0857052292/

A Splendid Little War combines all the hallmarks of DR's classic "War Story" or "Piece of Cake" -- cynical, believable characters, black humour, convincing flying experiences -- with an unusual setting: the "White Russian" war of 1919, in which RAF squadrons were despatched to fight the Bolsheviks from Black Sea aerodromes.

If you're a long-standing Derek Robinson fan, you'll need no persuading to buy it; and if you're not, why not? But if you're not, don't start with this one... all his excellent WW1 and WW2 books are available again, it seems:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Derek-Robinson/e/B001ITRFQE

War Story is the first WW1 book, followed by Hornet's Sting and Goshawk Squadron

Piece of Cake followed by A Good Clean Fight cover fighter ops in WW2, and Damned Good Show is the Bomber Command one...

bestest,

M.

Wasn't Goshawk Squadron his debut Novel? I remember reading it when it had been out only a few years in the early 1970s. Amazon reviewers seem to be under the impression that it's the third of his RFC books.

Joseph

It was (published in 1971), but chronologically it's the third. War Story is set in 1916, Hornet's Sting in 1917, and Goshawk Squadron in 1918. Since they feature some of the same characters, it makes sense to read them in chronological order, IMHO, anyway...

bestest,

M.

Hi

I got ASLW a few months ago on Kindle - gave it 8/10 on my score card.

quite good, but i liked Hornets Sting better - it's got Woolley in it for one thing.

Keep a look out for his Hullo Russia, Goodbye England - cold war stuff with Vulcans - a very good read.

happy reading

Paul

• 5 months later...

They have all been on sale on Amazon Kindle for about £1 up until recently and I bought about 8 of them! Never read them but they come well recommended

• 1 month later...

Hi M.,

Thanks for the reminder about Derek Robinson's latest book, I haven't read all of his books but I have read a few with Piece of Cake being my first when it came out in paperback, which to date is one of my most favourite fiction books to read.

Much later I read A Good Clean Fight which I found a bit dull yet subsequently enjoyed Damned Good Show and Hullo Russia, Goodbye England very recently.

After seeing this thread I subsequently purchased War Story, Hornet's Sting, Goshawk Squadron and Splendid Little War for my iPad (I'm late in reading books on such devices, only starting this year). I'm am now half way through War Story and enjoying it immensely. and have also started reading excerpts of it to my lovely wife Jo, who rather strangely is not moved at all by the humour of the book.

Cheers,

Daniel.

• 6 months later...

Just come across Derek Robinson with this book and enjoyed it a lot. Characters are not very developed but realism and accuracy are pretty damned good. I normally don't like this sort of fiction because of all the technical mistakes but this one hits the spot. I'll become a DR fan most likely!

Ah, well... if this is your first, you have a treat in store! The WW1 trilogy give you developing characters in spades, as do PoC and GCF -- though don't expect that just because you invest some time and effort in finding a character you sympathise and getting to like them, that they'll survive -- or even get a "heroic" death...

As for the "accuracy" -- how many other fiction writers would have bothered with the scene (and the significance) of the "tired" Camels with loose fabric and stretched rigging wires...? Robinson has never claimed to be an "expert", but his novels, to me, read more believably and accurately than a number of authors who DO claim some expertise or who should really know better, as ex-professionals...

Welcome to the fold!

bestest,

M.

It's not on his Amazon page Nick, but there are three books on Bristol there, so could well be;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Derek-Robinson/e/B001ITRFQE/ref=la_B001ITRFQE_pg_2?rh=n%3A266239%2Cp_82%3AB001ITRFQE&page=2&ie=UTF8&qid=1403088450

keith

EDIT: If you click on 'Derek Robinson author' on that books page, it takes you to the page I linked above, so I'm guessing it is him!!