RMS BRITANNIC.

stevej60

Hi folks,is it possible to model Britannic in her ww1 guise using any available titanic kits or Revells new olympic,what are the pitfalls?

her paint scheme looks possible to reproduce without decals.

Basically the only difference between the Titanic and Brittanic was; the Brittanic was about 1ft shorter and had twice the number of lifeboats, displaced differently. So any Titanic, with extra lifeboats can be used.

You wouldn't be able to use a kit of the Olympic as she had a different promenade deck window arrangement. The forward windows were enclosed on Titanic and Britannic as they were prone to spray on Olympic and the first class passengers got wet on their private promenade decks.

Also, Britannic had extra expansion joints (5 in total) whereas Olympic and Tiranic had only had two - it would be a simple case of scribing them on if you that bothered!

As said by Black Knight, and due to the significant promenade deck differences you'd be better off using a Titanic kit.

It's not just the expansion joints. The aft well deck is covered over, raised poop deck, the larger and very prominent davits need screatchbuilding and there are more deck houses on the boat deck.

There was a conversion kit for the 350th Academy kit in the 90s but I can't remember who did it but it was a US firm.

For reference, Mark Chirnside's The Olympic class is well worth getting.

There was a conversion kit for the 350th Academy kit in the 90s but I can't remember who did it but it was a US firm.

That would have been Ocean Liner Models

The Promenade deck window layout was different between Britannic and Titanic

Britannic was slightly wider in the beam than her sisters, due to the addition of a double skinned hull, this wouldn't really be noticable in 1:700 though.

If you're contemplating converting a Titanic or Olympic to a different configuration I'd recommend having a look at the Titanic page at Currell.net and follow the link to the free paper models, most configurations are covered here and could be up-scaled to 1:700 for use as templates for the conversion parts.

Dave, awaiting delivery of his Revell Olympic kit!

That would have been Ocean Liner Models

The Promenade deck window layout was different between Britannic and Titanic

Britannic was slightly wider in the beam than her sisters, due to the addition of a double skinned hull, this wouldn't really be noticable in 1:700 though.

If you're contemplating converting a Titanic or Olympic to a different configuration I'd recommend having a look at the Titanic page at Currell.net and follow the link to the free paper models, most configurations are covered here and could be up-scaled to 1:700 for use as templates for the conversion parts.

Dave, awaiting delivery of his Revell Olympic kit!

Thanks for the info Dave , looks like too much work for a quick change from aircraft it,s a good little kit and the last liner I built was Mauritania about

1975 so Titanic it is! mind I am tempted by Olympics ww1 dazzle scheme.

Hi Steve,

I've placed an image below of, top to bottom, Britannic; Titanic and Olympic in their various guises. The models are the very small Revell 1:1200 scale series so there is not much room for all the detailed changes, however you should see the difference between the enclosed promenade deck windows of Britannic and Titanic as compared to the fully open deck on Olympic.

Also, the lifeboat arrangements are different on all three ships, especially Britannic with her davits at the rear for additional lifeboats.

If you wished to build the model as Olympic, with the dazzle camouflage, then you would also need to source 6 gun mountings that she carried at that time.

HTH

Mike

britannic_titanic_olympic.JPG

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

I've placed an image below of, top to bottom, Britannic; Titanic and Olympic in their various guises. The models are the very small Revell 1:1200 scale series so there is not much room for all the detailed changes, however you should see the difference between the enclosed promenade deck windows of Britannic and Titanic as compared to the fully open deck on Olympic.

Also, the lifeboat arrangements are different on all three ships, especially Britannic with her davits at the rear for additional lifeboats.

If you wished to build the model as Olympic, with the dazzle camouflage, then you would also need to source 6 gun mountings that she carried at that time.

HTH

Mike

britannic_titanic_olympic.JPG

Thanks Mike,three great little examples as well, that dazzle scheme is tempting me to pick up the new olympic kit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The decals were made up with red crosses from an AFV decal set and green striping from a railway modelling decal sheet.

I think the most difficult bit, to convert Olympic or Titanic to Britannic, would be the work to produce those lifeboat gantries abaft the after funnel. To get good detail I would think they should be done in PE.

Mike