T-28D-5, `Zorro`, 606th SOS, Thailand

Hi all here`s my Roden 1/48 scale T-28 Trojan, completed to represent an aircraft of the 606th Special Operations Squadron based at Nakhon Phanom, Thailand, around the late 1960`s.

bdul4Km.jpg

I actually built this last year some time but have just finished repainting it as I felt that my previous attempt was not `right`

bBiTC0E.jpg

The kit actually started out as a `B` version, but is updated with modified Skyraider pylons, weapons from the `stash`

e32Lc01.jpg

Numerous scratch built antenna and

MXl6Zc3.jpg

Decals from Rodens latest boxing of the kit

UT5Shwl.jpg

Spent a long time researching the colour scheme, which was not std SEA USAF camouflage colours on these aircraft

nSfXoZD.jpg

Hope you enjoy looking at.

• Like 16

Another awesome build Russ.

How come your aircraft always look so menacing, a harm less little trainer, made into a Brutel killing machine. Absolutely loving this and your last couple of builds.

• Like 1

Like the camo scheme, not seen this one before..... :thumbsup: nice job...

Dave :coolio:

Cheers Dave,

I did a lot of Googling and some kind people off another forum pointed me in the direction of this scheme, as I always thought they were standard SEA colours but with the tan overpainted with grey, it wasn`t until I picked a book up with a colour photo ( 56th Fighter Group by Larry Davis ) that I found out how different they were.

Having interviewed several of the Zorro pilots for an upcoming article in the next "Flight Journal" (shameless personal commercial plug), they all told me the camouflage was the same colors as applied to SAC B-52s. I thought I had mentioned that to you.

Here's an article I did which has the colors as they were explained to me. With Roden having released the T-28D now, this might be helpful.

http://modelingmadness.com/review/viet/tc/tmc28d.htm

• Like 1

Having interviewed several of the Zorro pilots for an upcoming article in the next "Flight Journal" (shameless personal commercial plug), they all told me the camouflage was the same colors as applied to SAC B-52s. I thought I had mentioned that to you.

Here's an article I did which has the colors as they were explained to me. With Roden having released the T-28D now, this might be helpful.

http://modelingmadness.com/review/viet/tc/tmc28d.htm

Hi Tom, you did mention it, but, the colour photo in 56th Fighter Group by Larry Davis does not have a bit of brown or tan in it and the colours which I matched mostly by eyeball corresponed to some SAC colours on the paint section on Cyber modeller.

BUT there were ones with brown/tan in the camoflage at NKP and Udorn and I`ve found pics on Google that show this. However... the black and white photo`s of 606th SOS show the areas that would be tan ( the lightest colour) as the darkest colour as does the photo in 56th FG, which shows it as very dark grey.

Cheers for looking and commenting though.