Good Old Land Rover, Brit Military style Jeep

This build was pretty much OOB, with some added parts to biff up the original look of the kit. I just do not like things too plain looking. Still need to add a couple of minor things but generally it's done. So I hope you like it. The kit is from Italeri and it is 1/24. Thought I tried something different other than 1/35. I was thinking of adding another gun mount at the rear. But I need to find another 1/24 gun of the same make or maybe another brand. Any thoughts?

brit_military_land_rover_zps8b2fcdfe.jpg

brit_military_land_rover8_zpsb70dfd53.jp

brit_military_land_rover7_zpsd61da757.jp

brit_military_land_rover6_zpsc229de08.jp

brit_military_land_rover5_zps35b63d6d.jp

brit_military_land_rover4_zps3203ee1a.jp

brit_military_land_rover3_zps5e50ac56.jp

brit_military_land_rover2_zps596ab6ed.jp

Edited by tiking
  • Like 3

Very nice build indeed, great looking GPMG :goodjob:

The only thing I noticed is the radios, they look like VRC 321 sets and they should be side by side with the TURF( Tuning Unit Radio Frequency) unit on very top of each radio with the SURF (Selector Unit Radio Frequency) below the the TURF.

. The wiring is on the front or the sets but i see you have correctly added the coax and earth to the rear of the top TURF unit. :thumbsup2:

A quick pic to show you a fully loaded FFR, in 12 years of operating Clansman radios I've very rarely see a fit like one shown here, its packed

with HF, clear VHF and secure VHF along with a clip in kit and battery charger for a manpack radio and what looks like PRC 320 HF manpack on the left hand side.

FFR_zps4a964fd6.jpg

Can't take credit for the photo it's from the internet.

Hope this helps

Dan

Thank you kindly Dan. Much appreciated. I just went after the pics that was on the kit box. So I had no idea they were to be side by side. I did wanted to do that but thought maybe the box had it right. But thank you again for this reference pic. :)

Fantastic build, love the finish, the outdoor setting really adds to the realism. Having owned a Srs III you've captured the look just right. Just a pity Land Rover couldn't get there doors to fit so well! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Colin

Nice build Pease dont call it a jeep........lol

the only real option at the moment is another kit for the gpmg mount etc..they have a mixed bag with these kits,military 109 generally have the fuel [gas] tanks under the seats.not your fault at all. you have done a nice job mate and nice cammo pattern.

Terry

[self confessed land rover nut]

Excellent construction.

Very real outlook.

Regards,

Dirk

The Netherlands.

That's a beautiful `Landy' model, it almost looks like a real one but as an ex Scaleyback (with wings!) I do second Dan about the radio fit and can say that I`ve never seen an FFR fitted with a Gimpy either. Most open topped Landy`s that I saw were used by recce troops (in 5 Airborne Bde it was the Pathfinders) but they were always covered with tons of camouflage `scrim' netting and I seem to remember roll bars being fitted too, this dating back to the mid to late 1980`s when petrol Landy`s were still in widespread use. We were never allowed to let civilians or soldiers from other armies see the DMU either as it was the main part of the secure comms kit and it had to be covered with a smock if anybody came into the back for a visit.

Most FFR`s had a canvas cover or a metal cab too, the canvas ones were very draughty during a dog stag out in the sticks! There was usually one antenna mount on the side of the vehicle too.

I was lucky enough to work on a Radio Rebroadcast detachment during my time in the Sigs and we usually had three secure VHF sets, one insecure VHF set (as a spare) plus a HF set and a big box full of flashing lights that was connected to them all which made our job much easier when it was not broken, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called now! Having a manpack set onboard wasn`t unknown either and we could have three of these in the trailer in case we had to set up a manpack Rebro too in an area that the vehicle could not reach. That was a lot of radios to sign for and keep maintained but lots of FFR`s only had one or two radios fitted.

please don`t think that I`m complaining as your model is superb,

All the best

Tony O

Oh no Tony. Not at all. Like I said, i just went with what instructions told me to do. It was simply meant to be an OOB build. But I very much appreciate the insightful info.