D.A.P. Beaufighter MkXXI, `Green Ghost` and SEAC MkX

Hi everyone, here`s my first ( and most recent) completion from my haul from the Hinckley Show in March.

Tamiyas 1/48 Bristol Beaufighter VI completed as an Australian built Mk21

0vSj4Rb.jpg

Representing an aircraft of No 93 Sqn RAAF known as the `Green Ghosts`

fZUNnYQ.jpg

Apart from the decals all the parts were in the box, only extra work was deletion of two wing guns, some antenna, seat belts and a small fillet ahead of the observers station

yk6XNkY.jpg

the decals were from an old Eagle Strike set

D8ahkVo.jpg

also I thought I`d show you an earlier build

V9qWMJh.jpg

This time a Mk X, actually done from the TFX boxing

KRfgBtA.jpg

Done as an SEAC aircraft of no particular airframe or squadron but inspired from a pic` of a 22 Sqn, RAF aircraft

ywvqGmQ.jpg

Markings from the spares stash and the kit decals

hbAsREP.jpg

Only real work done was deleting the guns and ejector shutes and fixing a camera housing to the nose

N3INwh0.jpg

Hope you enjoy them both.

• Like 32

Well done Russ,

They are both excellent models and I love the colour schemes, spot on paintwork. Was the RAF, SEAC Beau Mk.X done from a photo of a specific aircraft as I`ve never seen this one before,

Cheers for sharing,

Tony O

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done Russ,

They are both excellent models and I love the colour schemes, spot on paintwork. Was the RAF, SEAC Beau Mk.X done from a photo of a specific aircraft as I`ve never seen this one before,

Cheers for sharing,

Tony O

Cheers Tony, Like I said in the post, it represents an aircraft of no particular airframe or squadron, I was inspired by photo(s) of SEAC Beau`s in a book

Those are a bit smart Russ, I like em both equally but there is something about the aussie ones with the twin .50s in each wing that really thrill, that is firepower double plus in my book & you've caught it so well, love the SEAC scheme too though. :unsure:

Steve.

• Like 1

Very nice the Beaufighter looks really nice in an Aussie paint sceme

• Like 1

Both Beautiful Beaus, but I particularly like the Aussie machine. I have the Hasegawa MK21 to do in that scheme, can I ask what you used for the foliage green, as it looks good to me!

keef

• Like 1

Both Beautiful Beaus, but I particularly like the Aussie machine. I have the Hasegawa MK21 to do in that scheme, can I ask what you used for the foliage green, as it looks good to me!

keef

Cheers Keef, it`s Humbrol 149 with some dark olive drab worked into the panel lines and some very subtle medium grey on panel centers/high spots

• 2 years later...
On 5/5/2013 at 2:58 PM, russ c said:

Hi everyone, here`s my first ( and most recent) completion from my haul from the Hinckley Show in March.

Tamiyas 1/48 Bristol Beaufighter VI completed as an Australian built Mk21

0vSj4Rb.jpg

Representing an aircraft of No 93 Sqn RAAF known as the `Green Ghosts`

fZUNnYQ.jpg

Apart from the decals all the parts were in the box, only extra work was deletion of two wing guns, some antenna, seat belts and a small fillet ahead of the observers station

yk6XNkY.jpg

the decals were from an old Eagle Strike set

D8ahkVo.jpg

also I thought I`d show you an earlier build

V9qWMJh.jpg

This time a Mk X, actually done from the TFX boxing

KRfgBtA.jpg

Done as an SEAC aircraft of no particular airframe or squadron but inspired from a pic` of a 22 Sqn, RAF aircraft

ywvqGmQ.jpg

Markings from the spares stash and the kit decals

hbAsREP.jpg

Only real work done was deleting the guns and ejector shutes and fixing a camera housing to the nose

N3INwh0.jpg

Hope you enjoy them both.

Lovely finished models, well done. When I look at all the wartime photos the engine cowlings all seem to have been painted over and sometimes that paint is peeling off revealing the cowlings to be some some of silver colour, I couldn't find any with bronze cowling rings.

7 hours ago, Soulcharger said:

Lovely finished models, well done. When I look at all the wartime photos the engine cowlings all seem to have been painted over and sometimes that paint is peeling off revealing the cowlings to be some some of silver colour, I couldn't find any with bronze cowling rings.

I`m sorry your searches proved fruitless 🙂, glad you like them otherwise though.

Cheers Russ

The exhaust collector rings on Bristol engines were not made of bronze. They were made of a steel alloy similar to stainless. The reason for the bronzey colour is heat staining from the hot exhaust gases ( 800+ degrees F ) In some cases, the collectors were over-painted to hide the glow, especially on aircraft used at night.

Some real ones.

49527464918_93de8f978f_o.jpg

49527464873_d1babc6077_b.jpg

49495131047_36fea8b0e9_b.jpg

49494412868_a114212d76_b.jpg

How it worked:

48919735002_f74495d697_b.jpg

WW2 photo:

46345661462_6bbf39bfe0_b.jpg

As for the Australian built Beaus, the engines were imported from Britain, so the central gear casing would be black, not grey.

Chris

• Like 5

Two beautiful Beaufighters Russ - you really have captured the colours and wear on well used wartime workhorses in my opinion. As regards the collector runs - most wartime pictures are in black and white and show tonal variations which suggest the effect that you have depicted - I think your version - particularly on the Mk.21 - looks very convincing.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 5:46 PM, russ c said:

I`m sorry your searches proved fruitless 🙂, glad you like them otherwise though.

Cheers Russ

I'm making a Frog Mk.XXI and all the photos I've seen show either painted over or silver coloured.