HobbyBoss 1:48 Tornado F.3 "Firebirds"

Building the unbuildable, good man

the unbuildable is the revised Airfix version,, with to recessed panel lines top fuselage that is also too wide...and the original bottom fuselage which has raised panel lines....

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&p=91243

the Hobbyboss kit seems to be buildable, maybe not the most correct kit to start with though...

good luck, looking forward to this excellent scheme!

• Like 1

Evening all.

Had a bit of a chance to work on this today. I am building this out of the box, so I'll have to put up with the laughable instrument decals. However, I intend to have the canopy down to show off the menacing profile of this beauty, so it probably won't matter too much.

DSC00437_zps6717e15d.jpg

DSC00438_zpsb292eeb7.jpg

DSC00439_zpse7f7735e.jpg

Still needs weathering, so hopefully the outrageously livid instrument colours can be blunted somewhat.

Icarus

Thank you Mish.

Now going together. Note the minimal filling needed, and this probably represent a bit of cack-handedness by me. I use Tippex/correction fluid fluid, which I then almost immediately wipe off with new enamel thinners. Works a treat, no damage to plastic, and effective filling - as I hope we'll see after some priming tonight...

DSC00443_zpsf5cd7999.jpg

DSC00441_zpsae4afac6.jpg

More updates later,

Icarus

• Like 1

thats looking nice.

I have never used Tippex before, what's it like? Are there any issues with paints over the top, enamel/acrylic? from what you've mentioned is that you apply it along the join then remove excess before it dries.

Will have to give it a go.

I'm dying to see it fully painted, do like that colour scheme.

Thank you. Not quite sure what happened to the grammar in yesterday's reply.

I don't use Tippex - rather, the "Pentel" Micro Correct pen-style applicator. This allows the correction fluid to run down the cracks, and ensures there isn't a ruddy great mess to clean up afterwards with the enamel thinners.

I have never had any issues with spraying onto the surface afterwards, although of course this is preceded with a layer of the good old Halfords primer, so this may obviate the problem.

More later...

Icarus

Thanks all.

Halfords primer is a standard rattle can primer sold for use on (full size) cars. Haven't tried any other brands, but I'm sure the principle is the same for them.

Icarus

will have to give it a go........though Halfords primer might be a bit hard to find down here!

I can see experiments ahead!

Hi Rich. I'm in South Africa and we don't have the Hafords brand but I found Dulux have a GP Primer in cans and it warks very well. Great finsj when rubberd with 1000 grade wet and dry. There Matt White and SG Black are also very good shot throughh the airbrush.

Colin

I've used actual Tippex for a filler and it's not that great. I used it as a filler on my F-15. It's very brittle and cracks easily, shrinks a little and it gets everywhere when wet. Even the sweat from your hands will get it everywhere. Apart from that it's great!! It's probably okay for small filling duties.

Love the Tonka, Icarus... Looking really cool from here :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Thanks Dazz. I have never used Tippex - this would presumably be too viscous.

Pentel-type correction fluids have a much lower consistency, but seem to dry hard enough to be sandable. However, the point of wiping off the excess correction fluid with enamel thinners immediately after application, is that this should obviate the need for sanding. So far, that has largely been true.

Looking forward to priming the Firebird when I get back to the UK.

Icarus

Evening all.

Back from business abroad. Got a chance to mask then spray this tonight. I think it looks hopeful...

DSC00572_zps0cdee460.jpg

DSC00570_zpsfad85b98.jpg

DSC00569_zps8deac0d0.jpg

DSC00568_zpsf7080563.jpg

I have blu-tacked the u/c doors in place to mask the white wheel wells. More updates tomorrow - might get a chance to lay down the first coat of RAF light grey, as well as starting to have some fun with Alclad and the engines.

Icarus

Edited by Icarus

• 3 weeks later...

Right. One house move, and two business trips later, I'm back on planet modelling. The first layer of Light Grey has just been sprayed on. My reference photos show that this display Tonker only ever toted fuel tanks and Sidewinder rails, so that's all it's getting.

DSC00648_zps07438031.jpg

DSC00647_zps4041487e.jpg

More piccies, hopefully with better backdrops, when I make some space.

Icarus