Airfix Lancaster BII

chaddy

awesome ... postie delivered a lanc & re supply set today ...

first one this side of the pond ?

great e bay seller and fantastic delivery

jerry

Graham,

The airfix bombs are British bombs. Both US and British bombs were universal, you could use British bombs on US aircraft with British tails.

Selwyn

That's true for the later part of the war, but not initially. The two nations used different pick-ups on the carriers and the bomb bodies, which is why they agreed to produce bombs with both single and double lugs. From the photo above, you can see the redundant double lugs on the US bombs, but strangely not on the UK ones.

That's true for the later part of the war, but not initially. The two nations used different pick-ups on the carriers and the bomb bodies, which is why they agreed to produce bombs with both single and double lugs. From the photo above, you can see the redundant double lugs on the US bombs, but strangely not on the UK ones.

Graham,

The first marks of 500lb MC bombs only had single point suspension, the later marks did. A lot of the british 500lb and 1000lb bomb cses were actually manufactured in the US and filled in the UK. I believe the change was made when lease lend came into force. Previous to this US supplied aircraft were purchased, and as customers the British could specify suspension systems. with lease lend the UK got the standard US spec aircraft with US suspension.

The British GP bombs never had provision for twin suspension. in fact by the time of the Bomber command lancaster offensive over germany the GP bombs were just used as "Fill in bombs" to alleviate "the bomb shortage" on bombloads to basically get rid of them as it was cheaper than reclaiming them. they were a very poor design.They probably kept the german EOD teams very busy.

In fact I believe that the story of the RAF's GP bombs is one of the last unknown scandals of WW2. The were never properly tested and developed (for financial reasons!) before going into widespread service in the 1930s and it was only at the time of Munich that the problems with them began to surface, beginning with stories of tail units detaching in flight when carried underwing on the Hawker light bombers.

When war started it rapidly came apparent that they were pretty inaffective compared to German bombs of the same size, and frequently broke up on impact or failed to function. At one point a failure rate of 80% was quoted. With a rapid modification programme in hand they managet to get this down to 10-15% still not great.

We have all read the accounts of the heroic exploits of the AASF Blenheims and Battles against the odds in France in 1940.

My heart goes out to the brave crews who battled against unbelievable odds to fight their way through to targets like the Maastricht Bridges probably not knowing that the weapons they strived to deliver were likely not to work, and if they did would hardly damage the target?

Heads should have rolled.

Selwyn

Mea culpa, mea culpa. Underbelly remote gun post, not upper remote gun post... Sorry !

So what's the Underbelly remote gun post then?

The only underfuselage Turret I know of on Lanc's was the FN 64 which was certainly not remotely controlled in any way.

are you getting mixed up in some way?

Selwyn

• Like 1

December 1943 was when Flight had a cut away drawing of the Avro Lancaster BII which should answer the question about the cross peice at the front of the engine which to me dosen't look right but am willing to accept either if proved it should be there or not.

I have looked over my kit I have a couple of questions that I have not seen raised here.

1) Are the Emergency Exits in the fuselage roof simply rectangular panels with a circular metal panel in their center or are they rectangular panels with circular clear panels?

2) At the rear of the bobm bay should there not be two clear circular panels so that the crew can see if any bombs have hung up?

The above and the cross at the front of the engines are the only obvious things I can see, dosen't mean there are not others as I am not an expert on the subject.

Gondor44

Hi brewerjerry

Those pesky stays have been really bugging me!

I can't believe they are correct as such - being quartered at 3, 6, 9, and 12 o'clock. I just can't find any evidence of this set-up in any of my Lancaster references.

However, I have the Lancaster II profile (no.235) and looking at your references there certainly is at least one stay in evidence, but not necessarily at these clockface positions.

I think there are possibly three stays used, as in Beaufighters. I have just looked through Beaufighter Squadrons 'in focus' and there are many photos showing an irregular set-up of three stays. The clearest picture is on p.60

Also, if I refer to the photo of the Hercules VI engine on p.3 of the Lancaster II profile you can pick out three lugs around the hub which I presume are for mounting stays.

I shall certainly feature stays in my model, but will probably only use the hub and replace the moulded stays with just three fine brass rods. I notice too, that two pipes come down either side of the engine and connect to 'squarish' units. (poor description, but I don't know their purpose!). I'll include these too as scratch parts.

Airfix have done these engines are really well. I particularly like the detailed prop hubs so you can leave off the spinners if this is your chosen version, and the way they have moulded the foremost cowling ring, it being slightly proud of the collector ring. Nice attention to detail.

Cheers

deecee

As far as I'm aware, the three stays at irregular positions are common on most (if not all) Herc powered aircraft of the war period.

In answer to Gondor's question, the escape hatches should have a clear circular window in the rectangular escape hatch.

In answer to Gondor's question, the escape hatches should have a clear circular window in the rectangular escape hatch.

And in answer to my own question about the circular windows at the rear of the bomb bay, I have just looked through Modellers Datafile number 4 and on page 115 there is a nice shot of the rear wall of the bomb bay showing the two windows.

Also realised that a majour item from the cockpit is missing from at least the instructions if not the kit. There are no Trim controlls shown in the instructions and I haven't seen it in the kit either. Its rather an obvious lump next to the piolet in the center of the cockpit and easy to spot.

Gondor

I've been searching through all my refs and through GOOGLE, too. and good clear images of the cowling stays on Lanc BII's don't exist. I haven't yet gone through all my AEROPLANE Monthly and FLYPAST mags yet, but that may take a while as these go back to the mid-70's. I'm also not convinced Airfix got it right with 4 spokes. Three seemed to be the norm with Hercules engines.

Chris

Edited by dogsbody

I have looked at every refference item I have and have only found one vauge picture of the front of the engines of a BII, even the drawing by Mike Keep in Avation News Vol 22 Num 4 dont show any spokes for the engines nor do any of the photographs in the artical help.

Gondor

Hi

just a random thought,

So the beau had three, but the engines on a beau are sort of mid mounted

the engines on the lanc more underslung

could four be used to stop cowling vibration

anyone know what the halifax had ? or could it be a RCAF unit field modification

Jerry

jerry

They are visible in a number of shots in my refs. Haven't finished going through all of them yet, but yes, I suspect it should only be 3, not 4. Got to go to work now, but I'll see if I can chuck some pics up tonight.

Thanks Smiffy, great photos.

The fifth photo in this collection does appear to show these stays at the 3 and 6 o'clock positions (#2 engine / inboard LH wing). I appreciate that this could be parallax error, however the angle of the prop is a fairly good guide. I do hope Airfix got this correct, they deserve every praise for offering us this kit.

Cheers.. Dave.

Hi

Found this

two types of herc cowlings

http://wunderwaffe.narod.ru/Magazine/AirWar/106/Draw/05.jpg

could be a trick of the eyes but the 'stays' in the outer engine appear 90 deg apart

cheers

Jerry

a nice photo

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/RCAF_Lancaster_Mk_II_RAF_Linton-on-Ouse_WWII_HU_56276.jpg

Edited by brewerjerry

Some curious interpretations here. What I see is that one of the stays appears to be in line with the exhaust, (second photo posting 94) which is a long way from 6 o'clock - 4:30 or 5 maybe. There's another at about 2, 2:30 and one at about 9:30. I cannot see a fourth in any of the photos.