convert a Revell 737-800 to a 737-700

ATPER

hi.

I am thinking of doing a 738 to 737 conversion of the Revell's kit. has anyone tried? (pics, please :) )

I know DrawDecals have a paper to see the exact cuts etc, am also using this.....

what do you use / how do you proceed?

thanks a lot

As well as Jenning's drawings, you may also find Jessica's tutorial useful:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234925943-s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g-and-shrnkg-a-737-step-by-step/

In addition, check out the pinned thread by Viking on correcting the basic 737-800 at the top of this forum to help with some of the other issues like the engine nacelles.

hm, thanks for all your replies.

but is there not the problem that the nose is toooo low? I remember seeing somewhere an 1/144 model which looked really

nose-down, way more than the kit does..... /the real thing does..... (but also don't know why it should, maybe due to difference

in length?)

greets,

ATPer

I've done a 600, 700, 800, and 900 HERE
Since looking at the photo of the 700 I have removed and shortened/refixed the main legs just a little, as you say I also thought it sat a litlte nose down/tail high. It sits a lot more level now. Funny how photos make you look again!

I'm also working my way through the classic 737, with a 200 and 500 and a 400

Just a 100 (Lufthansa) and 300 (Jet2) still to do.

Cheers

John

If you're filling windows and cutting out the sections on a parallel piece as you are here on the front at least, it can be useful to make the cut in a slightly different place on each half.

That way the staggered join will make the fuse stronger.

but is there not the problem that the nose is toooo low? I remember seeing somewhere an 1/144 model which looked really

nose-down

The problem is that the main landing gear seem to have been moulded in the extended unweighted position as if the aircraft was in flight. Shorten the legs a bit and the sit will be much better.

nose-down, way more than the kit does..... /the real thing does..... (but also don't know why it should, maybe due to difference

in length?)

No, the shape of the nose is as close to perfect as you or I are likely to see. The cabin windows sit about (from ancient memory) 5 scale inches too low on the side of the fuselage. I've compared the kit to loads of Boeing technical documents with every kind of measurement. The nose is just fine. If you saw a model with a droopy nose, it's because the modeler didn't get all the pieces flying in the same direction.

This is how i joinedthe fuselage back together when i did my 737-600 i didi it with some bit of wood you need a 29mm hole cutter , helps to locate the fueslage backgether

Westjetboeing737-600conversion-1.jpg

Westjetboeing737-600conversion-2.jpg

Westjetboeing737-600conversion-3.jpg

I used the same idea when doing the 737-900 but left the correct gaps and filled them

SH105010.jpg

also i modified the engines to make them more rounder on the intake by cutting away the bottom and adding a piece of plastic tomake it more round and filing it

SH104866.jpg

737modifiedengine2.jpg

both modfied engines mounted on the wing

SH104981.jpg

Hope this helps

IMG_9337_zps80dc489d.jpg

This is my attempt ata -700. It will (one day!!!) be G-EZGF of Easyjet, which I flew on in 2000 and 2008. (Idon't think it had been washed in between, but that is another story!).I made a bit of a mess with the cutting, hence the plastic card insert at the back. I will watch your project with interest.

Edited by Atom.uk

Nope, sorry, they can't re use the registration

easyJet only had 3 srs.700 in 2000...first one in October.

Must be confused with another machine??

In 2000 it was mostly Srs. 300

This is all the aircraft easyJet have operated

Select Whole Fleet

http://www.planespotters.net/Airline/Easyjet

Edited by garryrussell

I suspect Atom.uk may mean G-EZJF, this is a 737-700 although it wasn't delivered until 2001:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/EasyJet-Airline/Boeing-737-73V/1765901/L/&sid=127c00a135ab7502e4d3177afd4c6256

It was sold on to Aerolineas Argentina in 2009. The aircraft delivered in 2000 were G-EZJA, 'JB and 'JC (which all went on to ARG with 'JF).

George,

As Garry says, in the UK you can only use a 'G-xxxx' registration once. If the aircraft is exported the identity is frozen. If it returns to the UK the aircraft can revert to its original registration or it can take a new one but no other aircraft can use that registration. The only exception is where a historic aircraft is represented by a replica, but even in this case the replica has its own separate registration with a special agreement from the CAA to display the 'historic' one.

HTH

Jonathan

Even in the case of historic it's unused form the old block or those not taken up

For example the second Bristol Freighter for Instone took the historic marks of G-AMLK as the aircraft had been exported to NZ as a rare example of a Bristol 170 never having had a UK registration issued to it. That had been issued but the frame in question was converted on the line to the Superfreighter prototype and re registered G-AMWA. This allowed the re use of G-AMLK as the original had never flown as such and not taken it up. Even so that particular cases some confusion amongst historians.

It use to be that an aircraft having had a British registration could not, unless special permission was given, have another mark issued and of course the reg not being normally reusable.

When the rules regarding strict sequence allocations were pushed and out of sequence special marks were issued some existing aircraft did get new marks and some were re used, like for example G-BJCB on HS.125s for JC Bamford Excavators..

They reviewed the whole system and decided to continue with out of sequence for an additional fee and also officially allow existing aircraft to take any number of UK marks. However they stamped on the practice of re issuing marks and that has remained so ever since.

Then that must be UK policy.

As far as I know, in some countries when an aircraft is retired the registration can and may be used on another aircraft. I know that some aircraft of LH did get registration from older aircraft of the same company. Also some other that I can't remember now... I think RO or MA.

Countries have different rules

Some like the USA are totally random with re issues, others like Germany are random with re issues within blocks due to weight of aircraft.

Other like Spain are strictly alphabetical and won't re issue.

You have to examine the rules of the country in question.

Even though the Isle of Man is actually a sub register of the UK they do allow re issues, and the use of the letter 'Q'

• 3 weeks later...

I suspect Atom.uk may mean G-EZJF, this is a 737-700 although it wasn't delivered until 2001:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/EasyJet-Airline/Boeing-737-73V/1765901/L/&sid=127c00a135ab7502e4d3177afd4c6256

It was sold on to Aerolineas Argentina in 2009. The aircraft delivered in 2000 were G-EZJA, 'JB and 'JC (which all went on to ARG with 'JF).

George,

As Garry says, in the UK you can only use a 'G-xxxx' registration once. If the aircraft is exported the identity is frozen. If it returns to the UK the aircraft can revert to its original registration or it can take a new one but no other aircraft can use that registration. The only exception is where a historic aircraft is represented by a replica, but even in this case the replica has its own separate registration with a special agreement from the CAA to display the 'historic' one.

HTH

Jonathan

It is G-EZJF - sorry to cause all this debate!

It is G-EZJF - sorry to cause all this debate!

and it was 2001 - I recall the cabin crew being pleased because it was a new aircraft. Whoops!