Replacement for Mithril Silver

C460

Hi all,

Several people here at Britmodeller used Citadel Mithril Silver to replicate the dullish aluminium paint found on many 1930s and 1950s aircraft, and obtained good looking results. So I decided to get a bottle and bummer, the paint no longer exists!

It is supposed to be replaced by Citadel Runefang Steel, but the formula has changed and is said to be a bit darker. Does it have the same quality? Can it be lightened with acrylic white with good effect?

I have tried Tamiya XF-16 as an alternative: it is good enough for small parts but is too coarse to look good on a large surface.

Maybe some Alclad paints would give the same sort of finish as the original Mithril Silver, but I don't know which ones?

I use Tamiya Flat Aluminium which I think gives very life like results.

John

I usually use Tamiya Flat Aluminium, but I picked up some runefang steel and to my eye the metallic flakes look more fine. This Me262 was given a Flat Aluminium undercoat, but some of the nose panels were done in runefang steel, as that was going to be the finished look. You can make out a slight difference in this photo, I think, but to the naked eye the difference seemed more obvious.

DSCF2651_zpsd0736e92.jpg

Chris

If you go to the Citadel website and under paints there is a conversion chart and they list the replacement as Runefang Steel.

I've not used it as i still have some of the old stuff but I agree the XF-16 is too coarse.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I just use tap water as a cleaner/thinner and

had no problems although need to clean the

brush quite quickly before paint starts to set.

Maybe best to rinse the brush every so often

during painting if doing a large area.

Cheers

What is Citadel like to brush paint?

Quite thick. It's designed for miniature painting, and is good for that. I'd tend to use it for smaller details, cockpits, etc. I'm not sure I'd want to brush paint a whole model with it. You could thin it of course, but I don't know what that would do for coverage. Or adhesion, for that matter.

cheers,

Jason

Edited by JasonC

• 10 months later...

Is it just me or is the new formula much coarser than the old one? The old one gave an almost perfectly smooth finish but the new formula looks much more bumpy. Still better than Tamiya or Vallejo but a far cry from the old.

Anyone else have the same experience?