US Marine / 892 Sqdn Phantom

andersonr20

On my to-do list (so not even in the stash yet) is a Phantom & Buccaneer from Ark Royal - so have been collecting bits and bobs of research for kits, decals etc. when in my facebook newsfeed this picture appeared.

In the quest for something different this is a must - not even a what-if

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=504946332904577&set=o.90901647900&type=1&ref=nf

Edited by andersonr20

In 1/48th scale, Hasegawa has that scheme from the box. I built it some time ago and I regularly take it to model shows, where I have had several discussions about it. A super scheme.

Being part of the flight deck crew at the time the story as portrayed in your FB account is correct. When in Malta if aircraft did not disembark for the duration of our stay they would have their engines run-up on deck prior to our departure, with this a/c The tail was painted as per 892 nas (as you can see) we also covered the star and bars with gash (rubbish) bags so it could run/test it's engine and still remain under disguise, mind you with edsg/white tooms and one in gull grey/white it did stand out, just to add the us maintainers were a great bunch of lads.

Great times.

RR

• Like 1