New Revell 1/32 BAe Hawk available now - photos

Wonderland Models

We have just received the revised Revell 1/32 BAe Hawk 04849 . The kit has options for 2 aircraft.

1. XX226 of 74 Sqn in the overall black scheme as sen at the 1997 "Tigermeet" at RAF Wattisham.

2. XX284 of 151 Sqn/2 TWU at RAF Chivenor in the low-visibility greys scheme.

The decal sheet loks like this

HawkDecals_zpsd05b8726.jpg

One new feature of the kit is that Revell now quote British Standard colours for the camouflage scheme as can be seen at the bottom right of the painting guide.

hawkInstructions_zps14fe58b1.jpg

They only give the colour numbers not the names but it is a start. The colours are BS 381C 626 Light Aircraft Grey and BS 381C 627 Camouflage Grey.

Unlike the previous Red Arrows version this kit has a basic selection of stores, centreline gun pod, rocket pods and fuel tanks.

HawkParts_zps9de1276d.jpg

Enjoy

RAF hawk T1/A cannot carry wing or centreline tanks the a/c is not cleared to fly with them & not piped to draw fuel from wing or centreline tanks & altough the fittings for outer pylons are on the wing, again the A/c is not able & cannot be fitted with them because the RAF never bought any & they were not cleared for use/service, so thats a big error on Revells research part, the rocket packes went out of service in the early or mid 80's I've never seen a real hawk carrying them since 1988 to present.

decal shhet looks good though.

Edited by Hawkkeeper

Yes but the export 50 and 60 series have the inboard and outboard pylons and tanks and G-HAWK carried every thing but the kitchen sink over the years.

Kinetic's 100 series Hawk lacks the pylons and tanks so they won't go to waste.

There are a few other kits that can be sourced for AIM9Ls and launch rails.

That being said a CBLS 100/200 wouldn't have gone a-miss as well as the earlier seat head box and windscreen.

And it's not red plastic.

RAF hawk T1/A cannot carry wing or centreline tanks the a/c is not cleared to fly with them & not piped to draw fuel from wing or centreline tanks & altough the fittings for outer pylons are on the wing, again the A/c is not able & cannot be fitted with them because the RAF never bought any & they were not cleared for use/service, so thats a big error on Revells research part, the rocket packes went out of service in the early or mid 80's I've never seen a real hawk carrying them since 1988 to present.

I never heard anything about this, thank you for share this information !

Imagine the response if they *hadn't* included them?

What, and issued an accurate kit? ;-)

Regarding the colour call out...the majority of grey Hawks were Medium Sea Grey (BS381c637) over 'Barley'/Mixed/Camouflage Grey. A couple were painted in Dark Sea Grey over Medium Sea Grey ......not as it seems in the instructions.....but the decals do look nice , and at last the roundel colours look accurate!!

Imagine the response if they *hadn't* included them?

I would rather have taken a pair if Aim-9's with rails, over getting a set of extra pylons and tanks.

Not sure who did the research? but I wonder how many photo's they found with these fitted to the schemes in the kit- none! (Even the box art displays an aircraft fitted with 4 pylons).

I got a copy of the kit this week and it looks a lot nicer in the gray plastic then in the red of the first release.

The kit appears unchanged, so all the errors and faults are still the same in this newer offering.

The new pylons look OK in shape, but are lacking detail- none of the holes for the locking system are molded or detail of the sway braces.

The SNEB pods are also quite bland for detail, the Revell Hunter kit has a far nicer set.

I was also surprised they did not pick a TWU gray jet with a coloured tail for the decals?

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

I never heard anything about this, thank you for share this information !

your welcome, 25 years on T1 & 1A so I know the aircraft very well.

I'm more than happy to assist with info if anyone needs it on Hawk T1/1A a/c

Edited by Hawkkeeper

Cant help thinking that Revell have missed a trick with this one regards the schemes.......the 74 Sqn scheme is in the italeri 48th kit and is quite often seen....although obviously not in 32nd.

Agree with what Shaun says re. the coloured tail schemes........I would of liked a disruptive Grey/Green cammo TWU one !

Andy

I'm more than happy to assist with info if anyone needs it on Hawk T1/1A a/c

OK, first question then:

image0036.jpg

A friend of mine building a series of Hawks in 1/32 would like to know what that thing on the side of the nose gear leg, level with the lower edge of the gear doors, is. Neither he nor I have been able to figure that out. Some sort of light?

Edited by Sten Ekedahl

If you are building a buttoned-up, unattended Hawk - don't forget to add one vital detail......

The padlock on the canopy handle........

hawk-01.jpg

.... different style.......

hawk-04.jpg

It just shows - you can't park your Hawk anywhere safe these days....... :analintruder:

Ken

OK, first question then:

image0036.jpg

A friend of mine building a series of Hawks in 1/32 would like to know what that thing on the side of the nose gear leg, level with the lower edge of the gear doors, is. Neither he nor I have been able to figure that out. Some sort of light?

the amber light is the u/c locked down indicator for air traffic control visual confirmation,

the fescalised pin just to rear of the light is the nose leg uplock pin.

some nose leg close ups.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/western214h/Hawk%20walkround/Noseuclegfromstbside.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/western214h/Hawk%20walkround/Noseucfromportside.jpg

Edited by Hawkkeeper

Thank you, Hawkkeeper!

I've just slit the lid open on our review sample, and I can confirm it's in pale blue/grey Revell usual styrene :)

...just for you Andrew ;)

Wot... no Brawdy? .....again!!!!!!! :weep:

What has the world got against Brawdy? lovely marking for 79 and 234 Sqn's!!

Unlike the glory boys of Chivenor with their lovely weather :fight:

Edited by Barrovian

• 2 weeks later...

Some export customers still operate rocket pods. Several mods were performed in the nineties to provide single shot CRV-7s, etc.