Frog Wallace in to a Wapiti

Meatbox8

• 2 weeks later...

Models012copy.jpg

It can be done. The conversion from the Frog Wallace to Wapiti.

FGH

• Like 3

Models012copy.jpg

FGH

Another Fred Harris masterpiece!

• 3 weeks later...

Models012copy.jpg

FGH

That is stunning. Not sure my effort will come up to that standard but as one can only get better the more one builds, it sets a great benchmark to aspire to.

• 1 month later...

Still trying to sort out the wheat from the chaff with the Wapiti/ Wallace. The tailplanes in the Granger drawing are too narrow in chord and so are the ones in the Czech kit, as is the wing chord. The Stair drawings are correct. The tail chord should be 38" and the elevator chord 28" making an overall 66".

That Frog Wapiti is stunning.

John

Well, still having fun sorting out the Wapiti/ Wallace drawings. There are differences between the Stair and Granger drawings, including the elusive shapes of the wing tips and vertical tail The ones you'd expect to be right in the Westland Book (Harborough) are certainly not.

There are several errors and the dreaded printer has pushed them all over the shop. With the Wallace drawings there is an error that I think has carried over to the Ian Stair ones. The Wallace II cockpit is out of position as are some of the panels. I suspected this, having studied the construction and having just found the photos I needed, this is indeed the case.

I've been surprised at how much Wapiti/Wallace stuff I've had squirreled away and half forgotten. I have been to the RAF Museum but on that occasion I couldn't take any measurements. I was puzzled by some of the structure in the rear cockpit which would interfere with the fitting of a gun ring until I realized that, this airframe must have been a target tug and had the extra base cross fittings for the ML winch type 'B'. Of note are the two types of inspection panel on Wallace's as well as the pilots canopy slides forwards over the windscreen.

I am now drawing my own plans for both types.

John

• Like 1

The drawings are going well but another error has raised it's head and that's the chord of the fin/rudder. I found an odd dimension which gives the distance between the trailing edge of the rudder and the trailing edge of the elevators so given that the vertical tail is too short and the horizontal surfaces are too narrow then the leading edges need to be moved forwards. The fin shape in all the drawings is wrong usually being too pointed.

Another item dependent on getting this area right is the position of the tail skid/wheel as the frame it fixes to, butts up to the leading edge of the tail unit.

John

I'm watching this thread with more of a Wallace interest than Wapiti as I'd like to build a Wallace target tug. I've a spare vacform canopy from a Vengeance which I'm hoping can be made to look something like that required, I hope I've a spare Aeroclub winch but I'm b*$!*ed if I know how to do that weird exhaust ring. I got hold of the old Aeroclub E045 but I imagine the reason it was discontinued long ago (last millennium?) was that it didn't quite get the shape right.

If anyone has any ideas shall we start another thread or can this one be "bent" to include both types?

Ross

The old E045 was erroneously labelled Wallace in the catalogue 25 years ago as it was a standard Townend ring as used by many other types. The Wallace Townend ring had two reshaped areas to cater for the gun and gun sight.. When I do the 1/48th one I might also do it in 1/72. My main comments have been to point out the errors in both the Wapiti and the Wallace published drawings.

John

I'm watching this thread with more of a Wallace interest than Wapiti as I'd like to build a Wallace target tug. I've a spare vacform canopy from a Vengeance which I'm hoping can be made to look something like that required, I hope I've a spare Aeroclub winch but I'm b*$!*ed if I know how to do that weird exhaust ring. I got hold of the old Aeroclub E045 but I imagine the reason it was discontinued long ago (last millennium?) was that it didn't quite get the shape right.

If anyone has any ideas shall we start another thread or can this one be "bent" to include both types?

Ross

I'd be very interested in watching your build if you are thinking of putting it in the 'work in progress' thread. I am quite interested in second line types like target tugs and I'm thinking about doing a FAA Meteor TT11. Best of luck with it.

Cheers, Tim.

• 1 month later...

Just an update on this. I have received some useful data from Agusta Westland and an invitation to go down to their archive. I've just about got the two types commonality sorted out and the drawings are looking good though I've come across some conflicting data which suggests that the elevators might after all be different. I've just come across another drawing which agrees with my Wallace revisions.

John

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

a couple of sources for you to try

Westland Wapiti Profile #032 booklet colour views

Westland Wapiti IIa Air Illustrated Extra #06 article in India

Westland Wapiti Air Enthusiast Quarterly 00119 article RAAF

Westland Wapiti Air Enthusiast Quarterly 00119 photos colour views

Westland Wapiti High Flight 01 01 article RCAF drawings

Westland Wapiti IIa Planes 01 05 article plans 72

Westland Wapiti Aviation News 04 17 plans 72

Westland Wapiti Flying Review 196305 letter

Westland Wapiti IPMS Cdn 197102 article drawing

Westland Wapiti Aeroplane Monthly 197501 article

Westland Wapiti Airfix 197506 article

Westland Wapiti Air International 197512 letter RAAF

Westland Wapiti RAF Yearbook 1984 article

Westland Wapiti Scale Aircraft Modelling 200504 plans 48

Westland Wapiti Iia Scale Aviation Modeller 200704 V13 #4 kit review cmr 72

Pat Martin

a couple of sources for you to try

Westland Wapiti Profile #032 booklet colour views

Westland Wapiti IIa Air Illustrated Extra #06 article in India

Westland Wapiti Air Enthusiast Quarterly 00119 article RAAF

Westland Wapiti Air Enthusiast Quarterly 00119 photos colour views

Westland Wapiti High Flight 01 01 article RCAF drawings

Westland Wapiti IIa Planes 01 05 article plans 72

Westland Wapiti Aviation News 04 17 plans 72

Westland Wapiti Flying Review 196305 letter

Westland Wapiti IPMS Cdn 197102 article drawing

Westland Wapiti Aeroplane Monthly 197501 article

Westland Wapiti Airfix 197506 article

Westland Wapiti Air International 197512 letter RAAF

Westland Wapiti RAF Yearbook 1984 article

Westland Wapiti Scale Aircraft Modelling 200504 plans 48

Westland Wapiti Iia Scale Aviation Modeller 200704 V13 #4 kit review cmr 72

Pat Martin

Thanks Pat. Might have a trawl and see if I have any of these.

Tim