Supermarine Walrus Mk1 - Revell (Ex Matchbox) 1/72 Scale +++ Fallen by the Wayside +++

Here we go - First Seaplane/Biplane in at least 35 years......

Box Shot - Kit was £2.99 from Modelzone.

8665819153_27f64c61dd.jpg

So - Inspired by an article in AMW I started putting a bit of framing in the cockpit area despite the fact the cockpit glazing isn't the clearest.

But as the only internal details supplied are the seats I thought it needed a little help.

There is some reference material for this available at http://www.seawings.co.uk/walmangal.htm

8666920462_26cdffd0d8.jpg

I've also taken the liberty of opening the navigators windows which are provided as a decal.

8665819111_da73f4ca75.jpg

And on the Pilot's side of the cockpit I'm working on the instrument panel area as well - As usual I'm working on giving an impression rather than slavish detail - AMS modellers need not bother themselves here :)

Edited by Bonhoff

As usual I'm working on giving an impression rather than slavish detail - AMS modellers need not bother themselves here :)

You'll get no complaints from me Bonhoff! Very much my style too :winkgrin:

Welcome to the GB

Cliff

• 4 weeks later...

There's been a bit of work but no photo's - I'm just posting as a bit of a heads up to the other Walrii builders.....

Guys - Following the instructions I've built the upper wing and the engine pod.

The upper wing isn't really an issue but all the drawings I've seen since I've glued it indicate a small amount of dihedral but the instructions don't mention this. It's only a little bit though so I'll see what I can do to sort that out.

My bigger issue is the engine pod. Although the instructions indicate which way the struts are meant to go, common sense tells you that the front strut fits better the other way round.

Ignore common sense!! And also - Dont bother gluing the top struts to the pod, they're very fine and the glue will probably attempt to eat through them. They're very weak too and probably won't sit in the locating holes for the top wing either.

When you test fit the pod to the fuselage it'll sit a bit skew whiff when viewed from above - Don't panic - The engine is meant to be skewed 3 deg to starboard anyway.

I'm now looking at building a jig to support the upper wing and the 6 main struts then inserting the engine pod sans the upper struts. I'll then make new struts that actually fit.

More news as it happens.

I can't remember where I read it but I believe the dihedral on the upper and lower mainplanes was 4o. Not much in 72nd scale.

Oh yeah, and I cacked the struts for the engine pod too!

• 1 month later...

All,

I'll have to 'fess up and admit that my Walrus won't be appearing in the "Completed" section any time soon - House decoration meant that the modelling room has been stuffed full of junk for the last month. :(

Have enjoyed seeing everyone elses efforts though

Hope you all have a problem free run down to the finish....

IanJ