1/72 Italeri Dornier Do-24

I'm told by Internet that this is an 70:s mold that has been issued by both Revell and Italeri before. This is the sprue and boxart shots, where you also can tell the current state since this is a started kit. I'm a bit surprised that it's supposed to be almost forty years old, because although the kit's not perfect the panel lines are fine and recessed. A long way from Matchbox kits of similar age.

The pictures are a little worse than I hoped, I thought the phone would be sufficient but perhaps not.

8660142965_aef84d5bdf_n.jpg8661243916_d3e07722f7_n.jpg

With a bit of hindsight it was proably a mistake to try and blend the wing sections. Poor alignment in each section meant that the gaps were very uneven and of different height. I started to glue this on a vacation with only glue and a kit and could not do any major dry-fitting which would've been needed. This means that a few years later, it's still in this putty-sand-putty-sand state and I'm not done yet.

8660141431_019f117a1f_n.jpg

The hull halves. clear windows are unusable due to a big air bubble in the center of each one, so I've been experimenting with white glue and clearfix to see if I could do new windows.

8661242228_cb3c0d69d4_n.jpg8660140467_6b4f88c36d_n.jpg

First clearfix, then white glue. Clearfix has a lot of small bubbles, white glue is a bit milky. Will read up on other tricks!

8660139989_fce361793e_n.jpg

Lots of parts still on sprues. Here are the imperfections I was talking about:

8661240582_d10f7886b6_n.jpg

Not TOO bad, but it needs a bit of work.

8660138741_36d7959d97_n.jpg

Apart from the wing, next task is to dip and mask this lot. Fortunately I have Eduard masks, here with the decals and instructions:

8660142077_a81c2a5e9a_n.jpg

Unfortunately they are the old vinyl kind, though. I hope they will stick good enough!

Nice model to build. I don't know wich version you want to build, but for the Dutch version you will need different engines and covers.

The Dutch version used Wright R1820 engines and not the German Bramo 323 engines.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Oh, it will be the Swedish version in green and grey. It's an ex-Luftwaffe machine, so the engines should be correct. Even so, there are some areas where it could be made more accurate, but I don't think I will do that - I'm a little bit short on time as we expect a baby next month. :)

• Like 1

I've always quite liked the older Italeri kits and this one looks like it's another goody.

More importantly, congratulations on your impending arrival! :)

Cliff

I remember his kit well, built one as a 12 year old some 28 years ago. Does it still come with the clear stand?

Yup, it can be seen in one of the pictures - haven't decided if I will keep it clear or paint it in some colour.

Cliff, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

RLM 02 applied, after this photo I've also painted the other colours in the interior. Nothing too fancy, my suspicion is that almost nothing will be seen through the rather small windows.

8691678001_7deb2024a0.jpg

Colours are really not this odd, it's a standard RLM 02 from Xtracolor.

I've also glued in the cockpit to one of the halves, it's hopefully drying behind me as I speak.

Edited by Wizball

• 2 months later...

FAILURE!

I have to admit utter failure. Well, just in this group build, my daughter was born on the 7th of May and has taken up a considerable amount of my free time, so I'm not too displeased with life in general.

I will finish this kit, but not in time for the deadline (obviously!). I have however done SOME work during the last two months and photographed it but I haven't felt I've had the time to update the thread. I will do this last update and then you have to look for the result in another section in due time...

9144234674_46998fc169.jpg

The fuselage was joined together, and filling began. Previously I had painted the turrets since they are trapped in the fuselage and what you see in this picture is the attempt to insert masking between the fuselage and turret to protect those frames for later painting.

(A lot of sanding and puttying later)

I also glued the canopy. That is too big unfortunately but realizing this late in the build means I have no good solution. I'm NOT going to break up the fuselage to insert shims and widen it! The fuel tanks fitted OK but the joins were a bit heavy, so I flowed some thinned Mr. Surfacer into them to reduce the trench a bit. The tail section after that was a breeze, fitted very well.

9144231060_6009a15021.jpg

The above picture is from the attempts to get the struts in place. I started with gluing the central strut in place, thought I should use that as a base. Glued the inverted V-struts, realized they were far too long, broke them off and shortened them. Glued them back on and then I used my three hands, rubber bands and nose to glue the longer struts connecting the fuel tanks and engine pods to the fuel tanks. The result of this elaborate juggling act was that I had all struts glued to the fuselage side but the wing is still free. I hope this will considerably ease painting!

9242245110_a063b8fc24.jpg

And it looks like it has. This is a picture taken today. Everything was primed, and the underside blue-grey (Tamiya XF-66) is sprayed on and I have started to mask up the division between upper and lower colour. All the small bits were glued on and I hope I will keep them there. Getting them attached after painting is, knowing myself, a exercise in glue marks and swear words.

Some of the longer struts do not connect to the wing EXACTLY where they should, but I sacrificed that in the name of alignment. Root problem I think is the central solitary strut - that should probably been placed last...

So, remaining work between diapers is finishing masking, paint the uppers in "submarine green" (a blend between black and olive green), Klear, decals, Satin coat and weathering. Should only take me two months more...

Rounding off, this is what have kept me occupied. Can't be sorry for that!:

9239293503_2e4ce78c18.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for updating us, that little WiP is going to keep you busy for the next umpteen years! Congratulations to you and your good lady. I for one will be keeping an eye out for the Dornier to be finished; as you said, in another section. See you there in two months then.

Ditto. Anything over 1/4inch is going to present problems with this method. You'll get concavity as it dries, which needs filling. You will also need to cover it with a gloss varnish to prevent it disappearing when moist. This can be used to fill the concavity, of course.