frog/novo hms torquay or airfix leander conversion to hms plymouth

Hi All,

I have managed to obtain a few cheap torquay and leander kits.

I fancy doing HMS Plymouth, any suggestions which would be the easier kit to start with ?

cheers

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

The Torquay kit would be better, as it is a Type 12 frigate. HMS Plymouth was a modified Type 12 but the hull is virtually identical in length and breadth.

I think that most of the differences are in modifications to the bridge but it shouldn't take too much to adapt the Torquay to a Plymouth.

Check out the drawings at Blueprint.com; there is one of HMS Plymouth and also of HMS Torquay

Mike

As Plymouth and Torquay were half-sister ships then I'd go with the Frog kit, having until recently had both kits in the stash (I sold my Torquay a couple of weeks ago). I would say there is less work involved in bringing the Frog kit up than the surgery required to backdate a Leander.

Of course finding detail parts in 1/500 scale won't be easy.

As Plymouth and Torquay were half-sister ships then I'd go with the Frog kit, having until recently had both kits in the stash (I sold my Torquay a couple of weeks ago). I would say there is less work involved in bringing the Frog kit up than the surgery required to backdate a Leander.

Of course finding detail parts in 1/500 scale won't be easy.

Yes: that's the trade-off. On the one hand there's intrinsically less work involved in converting Torquay to her half sister than backdating a Leander. On the other hand the Frog kit is older and cruder, requiring replacement of most of the fittings above the hull: I suspect it would be easier to find replacement detail parts in 1/600 than 1/500.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I Recommend the kits that Bogey does, i have several of his 1/600 and 1/700 scale sets

John

Jerry

I second the recommendation for Bogey's Bits. I'm partially to blame for him producing the 1/500 Torquay bits and he presently does two sets. One for the ships pre-modernisation with the MK6 Director and two Limbo's. One for the post modernizations ships with one Limbo the later director and a Wasp. I've bought but not used the earlier set and it looks very nice.

Pete of Atlantic Models also has a set of Photo Etch specifically for this kit on his to do list.

http://atlanticmodels.net/photo-etched%20details.html

It's worth letting him know if your interested as if enough people ask he may move it up the list.

Terry