1/72 Revell Tornado +++FINISHED+++

AndyC

Hi all

Not my usual scale but saw a couple of these kits built in the Tornado STGB a couple of years ago and they look good. I'm also a sucker for a colourful scheme, so I'm going for the Eye of the Tiger!

005_zps40fd0894.jpg

Should be fun - I love the scheme!

006_zpsf093d129.jpg

See you when I've got the Mosquito cracked in that GB! Oh, and I may do another Tornado too! Watch this space!

Good choice Andy, great little kit and an eye catching scheme!

I remember your builds in the Tornado GB - hope I can do it justice

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been doing something I haven't done since I was a teenager! Building in 1/72 scale!

What a fab little kit this Revell Tornado is...good job I have 5 of them in colourful schemes to do

Sprayed the cockpit Light Gull Grey and then applied the decals for the IP's. A bit of Sol/Set and they all nestled down nicely.

012_zps081e7e8f.jpg

I had forgotten after several years of 1/48 and bigger, how small and fiddly 1/72 can be. An hour of eye-strain and swearing and the seats were glued and painted up.

013_zps22964e8c.jpg

Glued them in place

014_zpsda319bed.jpg

Then glued the front fuselage together - great fit. That is not a re-designed Tornado nose, nor is it trying to be a Lightning - its my fishing sinker for nose weight.

015_zpsb3147c4c.jpg

016_zps49e98015.jpg

Wing gloves fitted

017_zps5dddb2b9.jpg

Wings glued and the pylons secured even though they are free-moving

018_zps5d42d8ce.jpg

I decided to put the wings in and allow them to swing together. This is NOT what I have done with previous Tornado kits where I have ignored the swing mechanism and put the wings in after painting. I may regret it but...

019_zpse810054c.jpg

Glued the rear fuselage together. The tailplanes are similarly fitted. The font is dry-fitted to the rear and she already looks like a Tornado! You can see the fin has been glued and is clamped in the background.

020_zps521c8b06.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Hi all

Enjoying the build! Proceeding apace - fin now on and intakes completed.

Putty applied and rubbed down. Not that much needed and probably where it was needed was more down to my carelessness rather than the kit.

001_zps4db007d5.jpg

Painted in front of the IP, fitted the HUD, and painted the rear IP boxes all in NATO Black. Masked the cockpit and glued in place - this will be a clothes-horse and I'm not too fussed about an open cockpit at this scale

002_zpsbdb1a312.jpg

IFR probe on and final work round the seams

003_zps0f7b720d.jpg

Into the garage fro primer

004_zpscea52fe8.jpg

Once that had been done I painted the undersides and partial uppers with Dark Compass Grey. Primed the burner cans ready for Alclad.

005_zpscbb31fb8.jpg

That's it for today. Masking for the black uppers will be next along with a tricky compound curve at the nose. Ta for looking

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

Been a while... :whistle: After the fast start, this build has become a bit of a 'mare. First off, the Revell instructions would have you glue the outer pylons (not an option to leave them off) and the under-fuselage weapon rails.

All well and good except when you come to look at decals, there is a bloody great decal that goes right across the underside (with NO weapon rails) and actually the weapon fit-out diagram shows only the inner pylons used as there is also a huge decal under each wing :banghead:

So, off with the outer pylons and fill the holes and sand smooth. Then a massive tussle with the weapons rails which were well glued but after much swearing and sheer brute force they came off...along with the tailplanes, which were collateral damage :boom:

Out with the filler for the underside to repair the divots and scratches. Re-sand and prime and go to paint Dk Compass Grey - run out! Sourced some Aqueous Hobby paint at Gloucester and re-painted.

002_zps78460a3c.jpg

There are a couple of rough areas, which I have treated and touched-up. I drilled the tailplanes and cut some brass rod after taking out the kit joining brace (fortunately I had left off the burner cans)

003_zpsa5b4adbb.jpg

Then mask up for the upper surface black and spray that

004_zps082d16d4.jpg

Wait for it to dry and then attend to some minor overspray (I'm a little careless with this). I'm away camping this weekend so the decals will wait until next week! Thanks for looking!

I feel your pain about those tail planes and pylons.

I attached all the pylons and made sure each one was fixed before I glue the wing halves together, then as soon as I'd glued them together one fell off! I've left the tail planes off both of mine until I've painted them, then I'll CA them to the fuselage but I promise you, at least one will fall off.

Sean

I think you could be right Sean - I remember knocking them off my 1/32 Tornado too! I've given up the idea of a functioning swing-wing as the inner pylons lost their locators inside the wing and also fell off! So when complete, she will be swept back and the inner pylons glued in place!

This will probably be the last update before RFI...

Been busy decalling this little kit. Nothing wrong with the decals - they sit beautifully and with a little Sol/Set snuggle down into the panel lines. I cocked up slightly with the large decal down the starboard spine as I have set about 5mm too much to the rear, so the Tiger's jaw line is a little skewed...

Everything else went down OK even my masking of the compound curve at the nose seemed a good fit.

Brass tube has been CA'd into the tail-plane holes ready to receive the tail-planes (not yet glued in the pic below. The u/c legs have been assembled and cleaned up and sprayed white. Tyres and wheels also done.

Last major decal job is the drop tanks which are quite complex - here I have decided to decal first and then infill paint the black to the nose of the tanks

A quick pic of where we are...and thanks for looking

001_zps5689e6d4.jpg

I'm calling her done! Even though the pitot tube on the nose stayed an all through the painting stage, I knocked it off bringing it down to the photo booth!

Anyway, here she is...Luftwaffe Tornado IDS 45+06, AG 51, "50 Jahre Recce", NATO Tigermeet 2009. My first 1/72 kit in 30-odd years and I have to say, I found it fiddly at times! Some tricky masking for the curve at the nose and a slight cock-up with the decal positions as mentioned above.

Nice decals and a nice scheme though and I have another 4 to make in a similar vein.

I'll post up in gallery later and thanks for looking

020_zpsc2d8cfd9.jpg

019_zpsc9b70e02.jpg

018_zps70beca9a.jpg

017_zps8ea61d02.jpg

016_zps46966e71.jpg

015_zpsb50062bd.jpg

014_zps4164b087.jpg

013_zpsdaa8c564.jpg

012_zps37281a66.jpg

• 2 weeks later...