GAL Monospar

John Aero

I spent an interesting Sunday with the Monospar ST.12 and the engineer rebuilding it at Newark. I have a few drawings including some published in L&K as well as UK ones, so I wanted to check them all out and update the best. The Czech ones were riddled with errors.

The Stieger construction certainly is some thing very different and a real challenge. An interesting aside is that the extruded metal parts are the same as used on the Gladiator.

John

... An interesting aside is that the extruded metal parts are the same as used on the Gladiator.

It was good to have brief chat yesterday John and I hope the tea was OK (when you finally got it). There may be an interesting reason why the 'top hat' sections resemble Gladiator, which is likely to be down to the tooling used to form the new sections; a bit too complicated to explain on the board.

In our conversation Mike and I talked about the fact that Glosters first built the Gloster Monospar SS.1 and the experimental Fokker FVIIb3m wing.

One member of the public to whom I explained the development of the Tiger Moth to, left saying, "thank you that's made my day".

Newark Air museum-can't beat it.

Yes I got my tea, eventually.

Cheers

John

Be interested to hear your findings I have your vac kit in the stash (as well as the Azur kit) - still trying to find a pic of an impressed one!

Dave

The ST.12 at Newark was impressed in Australia but I don't know of a photo.

John

I have been NAM’s point of contact for several sets of photographs that have come over from Australia, but amongst those there have not been any photographs taken during impressed service.

The ‘top hat’ sections were purchased in 2008 from a Nottinghamshire company that had been doing some production work for a UK based Gladiator project, which as mentioned earlier may explain the immediate similarity.