Fairey Gannet T.5 - 1:72 Revell

Paul A H

Fairey Gannet T.5

1:72 Revell

gannett5boxtop.jpg

The Fairey Gannet was designed to meet specification GR 17/54, which set out a requirement for a carrier-borne anti-submarine warfare aircraft for the post-war Fleet Air Arm. The Gannet was an innovative, if ungainly aircraft which managed to see off the competition in the shape of the Blackburn B-88 (a similar, if slightly more attractive, design) to enter service in 1953. During testing, the prototype became the first turboprop powered aircraft to land on a carrier deck. The Gannet was, in fact, powered by two Armstrong Siddeley Mamba engines coupled through a common gearbox to a contra-rotating propeller. The result was an aircraft with twin-engined reliability but which was able to shut down one engine for extended cruising a very useful feature in its chosen role.

The Gannet was a reasonably successful design, with almost 350 examples completed by the end of the production run. Whilst the anti-submarine role was taken over by the Westland Whirlwind helicopter in the 1960s, Gannets soldiered on in the electronic warfare and carrier onboard delivery roles. The Gannet, in the form of the radically modified AEW.3, was also used in the Airborne Early Warning role. The AEW Gannets were the last to be retired, in 1978. The T.5 was a dual control trainer version of the AS.4, 11 of which were completed.

As you might have guessed, this kit is based on Revells Gannet AS. Mk.1/4, which was first released in 2008. That kit was very well received and was considered an improvement on the Trumpeter effort, and a quantum leap over the medieval FROG offering. In fact the only difference between this kit and its predecessor is a small extra sprue containing a half dozen extra parts specific to the T.5 variant. Inside the box are four sprues of pale plastic and a single sprue of clear parts, half of which were loose in the bag by the time I received my example.

gannett5sprue1.jpg

gannett5sprue1close.jpg

The kit has a reasonably high part count of 105, which is a reflection of the level of detail that Revell have shoehorned into the box. A brief examination of the kit reveals that it includes a weapons bay and seperate control surfaces and flaps, although not a folding wing. Surface detail is comprised of clear engraved panel. There is plenty of detail in other areas too, including the cockpit and bomb bay.

Construction starts with the aforementioned bomb bay. The internal structures are very nicely detailed, but sadly there are no weapons included. The roof of the bomb bay joins to the floor of the cockpit via two wing spars which help align the wings and give the model strength. Cockpit detail includes separate rudder pedals and control columns, seats, side consoles and instrument panels. These parts feature fine, raised details which should look excellent once painted, although decals are provided if you prefer them. Once the cockpit has been painted and installed, the fuselage halves can be closed up.

gannett5sprue2.jpg

As this is the T.5 variant, a blanking plate is provided on the small additional sprue in place of the retractable radome. The weapons bay is unchanged from the AS version, although youll have to cut the doors in order to display them in the open position. The flying surfaces are where this kit shines, as the ailerons and flaps are separate parts which can be posed in a range of positions. The rudder and elevators are also poseable, adding a depth of realism that simpler models lack. Sadly the complex wing fold of the Gannet seems to have been a bridge too far for Revell, but a resin version is available from Alley Cat.

gannett5sprue3.jpg

gannett5sprue4.jpg

The exhausts for the Double Mamba are moulded as whole pieces, meaning that there are no awkward seams to clean up. Best of all, they can be installed after the fuselage halves have been fixed together, which is helpful for the painting stage. The complex, multi-part undercarriage is very nicely detailed and the nose and main landing gear bays feature adequate structural detail. They should look excellent once painted. Strangely enough though, the doors for the nose landing gear bay is moulded as a single part which will have to be cut into three prior to assembly.

The clear parts look good and the canopy framework is crisp and clear, which should make masking nice and easy. They are somewhat delicate though, and some of mine were broken off of the sprue when I received my copy. Alternative parts are provided for you to use depending on whether you want to display the canopies open or closed, which is a nice touch from Revell. The periscope which sets this version apart from the AS variants is one of the parts provided on the extra sprue.

gannett5decals.jpg

Two schemes are provided for on the decal sheet, both depicting quite similar schemes. The first is XT752, the restored Fairey Gannet belonging to Shannan Hendricks and based at New Richmond Airport, Wisconsin, USA. The second is XG886 of 849 Naval Air Squadron, Fleet Air Arm, RNAS Culdrose, September 1964. Both aircraft are finished in overall aluminium with dayglo red areas. The decals are the usual Revell type and should go down ok provided you have a nice, glossy surface and use plenty of setting solution.

Conclusion

No kit is perfect, and whilst Revells Gannet is no exception, it is just about the best plastic kit of the type in this scale. It is superbly detailed and should be well within the capability of all modellers despite the relatively high part count. If Airfixs recent Vampire T.11 has stoked your interest in British training aircraft of the Cold War period, then this kit can be highly recommended.

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers. For further information visit logo-revell-2009.gif

Looks good to me, it even has one of my old aircraft on the decal sheet. It even has the enlarged cable duct below the port cockpits (part above instrument panel, small sprue above transparencies). With the addition of the Alley Cat's wing fold and weapons bay detail sets I think it should turn into a good model.

I'd love to snap one up but have two Trumpeter ones in the stash, my loss I feel! Many thanks for the review.

Colin

I'm building this one at the moment. Remarkably I got one with all the canopies intact!

There are some issues with this kit (look out Venomvixen's memorable post "Revell Gannet: it's got a big bum"). I may fill the lower rear fuselage with Milliput and try and adjust the lower fuselage contours (they're too wide/angular: IIRC correctly we decided the Revell kit was a lot too boxy in this area and the Trumpeter a bit too slender).

This is an ambitiously engineered kit. If all goes well, you get an excellent fit and excellent detail but, even when the kit first came out, some people had problems with the fit. Unfortunately, and surprisingly for such a new kit, the moulds are already beginning to deteriorate. Flash not only obstructs the small intakes on the nose for example but also interferes with the fit in places. It's no biggie, just a bit tedious. Check the fit of all mating surfaces and prepared for a fair bit of trimming away of flash: the kit was designed to fine tolerances.

I'm not intending to put anyone off, just to make you aware that the kit doesn't just fall together as it looks it should. Makes you admire the work of the old Airfix and Frog mould-makers whose products are still producing marketable models even after 50 years' use (Walrus, Stormovik, Gosling).

Deleted to remove erroneous reference to oversize radome on original AS.4 kit: according to Venomvixen's measurements Revell got it about right and Trumpeter (and CMR) made it too small.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63578-gannet-details-for-mr-seahawk/

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Observations

Rear cockpit hasnt been changed - the rear pit is markedly different in the trainer

Instrument panels decals appear to be identical,- the aft panel is simplified

Rear fuselage issues remain.

Instrument panels decals appear to be identical,- the aft panel is simplified

Yes, didn't you say elsewhere that the Revell AS.1 has an instrument panel from a COD.4 in the front (with a radio where the sight should be)? So the rear instrument panel is doubly wrong!

See this thread for discussion of the Gannet T.5's rear cockpit:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234930061-revell-gannet-t5/?hl=venomvixen#entry1175348

I've seen several shots of the COD cockpit with what appears to be the control panel for UHF radio in place of the gunsight.

Given the size of the control panel its about the only place it could go.

Both Revell and Eduard in their cockpit set have put the panel in and missed the gun sight.