1/72 Matchbox, Norseman, Loftleidir

Should look nice with the Goose, Pabbi,

Were they in service at the same time?

Cliff

Loftleidir operated Gooses and Norsemans at the same time although the service of the Norsemans were short because of accidents.

I will be building the TF-RVE and TF-RVG and they were not in service at the same time ;) what-if ?

Loftleidir operated two Noorduyn Norsemans from late summer 1945.

12.01.1946 TF-RVE crashed on landing in rought water near Patreksfjördur.

26.06.1946 TF-RVD crashed while landing on rough water near Reykjavik.

Loftleidir operated five Grumman Gooses the first from autumn 1944.

TF-RVK

TF-RVA

TF-RVI Crashed at Hvammsfjördur 13.03.1947

TF-RVJ

TF-RVG 1947-1949

A pilot of such small bush floatplanes told me that the problem is that on landing, the pilot has to jump up and tie the aircraft to its mooring, and so tends not to fasten his shoulder harness. Then, in an otherwise survivable crash, he hits his head and goes unconscious, and drowns when he otherwise could have escaped.

Edited by Mach Turtle

A pilot of such small bush floatplanes told me that the problem is that on landing, the pilot has to jump up and tie the aircraft to its mooring, and so tends not to fasten his shoulder harness. Then, in an otherwise survivable crash, he hits his head and goes unconscious, and drowns when he otherwise could have escaped.

Most light aircraft of that sort have only lap belts anyways. That leads to head injuries in a crash (something I can attest from personal experience).

• 1 month later...

...klear, decals, dark wash, kristal klear windows and EZwire....

FINISHED :cheers:

not one of my best finished model but I am happy enough with it, my 4th Loftleidir Icelandic Airline 1/72 aircraft :)

Norseman number 113.

Delivered to USAAF as aircraft No. 43-5122 on March 22, 1943 and flown to Presque Isle, Maine on March 25. Assigned to North Atlantic Wing on May 1, 1943. Appears to have been shipped to Reykjavik, Iceland on July 14, 1943. Later sold as war surplus to H.F. Loftleidir, Reykjavik and registered as TF-RVE. Crashed while landing on rough water at Patreksfjordur, Iceland on April 15, 1946.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

f.jpg

• Like 1

thanks Cliff and Smudge ;)

Do you know why the blue was so different to that on the Goose?

Cliff

Cliff, the Goose RVG was in use until 1949, the Norseman RVE only until 1946. the later Goose years Loftleidir was changing the color from yellow/lightblue to the darker blue.

This can also be seen on the logos colors, the old one I think looks much better !

logo.jpg