Welcome to the large scale AFV section

This is a new area for Britmodeller, as it seems that quite a few of us are interested in these large scale models of famous armour such as the Tiger, King Tiger, Sherman, Pershing and many others. Remote control tanks aren't just the bailiwick of Tamiya with their high quality, but expensive kits. Heng Long supply remote control tanks for a fraction of the price, with sound, smoke and engine noises, as do a growing group of other suppliers such are Torro and in un-motorised forms,Trumpeter, Hobby Boss and now Panda. I'm sure I've missed some out, but I'm new to this growing group of modellers.

Why the new section? Well, the factors of size and the inclusion of remote control on a lot of these scale kits, they're quite a bit different from the usual scales. They're also a bit harder to store, as the big ones such as the King Tiger are almost 60cm from front to back. Whether you buy them to use as fun toys, or upgrade them so that they're as accurate as possible, they can be quite good fun to play with, although if you're dedicated, you can run up quite a bill even if you don't choose Tamiya. If money is no object, you can go crazy with the Armortek kits, which I think are 1:6 or even crazier with a 1:4 King Tiger that'll cost from between £3,300 and over £10,000 depending on what you specify. That one can pull a car, and looks truly scary.

It's quite a broad church though, as the Heng Long Tiger I can be had for around £50 if you shop around, and includes all the features above, with the King Tiger and others weighing in at only a little more for the basic plastic kits. You can spend a couple of hundred on a full-metal version of most tanks, which includes metal gears, wheels and tracks, or you you could buy the cheaper ones and upgrade to metal as parts wear out to keep your costs down. it's all very tempting though! :lol:

The range of static kits in this larger scale is growing fast, with Panda joining the fray soon with a 1:16 P-38(t) in the next couple of weeks, which our friends at Welsh Dragon Models are hoping to have in stock earlier than most UK suppliers. Keep your eyes peeled for that one, and we'll try and get a review sample in to tempt you with.

Dave (Shar2) has joined the moderating team for this larger scale, as he's just dipped his toe into the waters and has become quite interested in a very short time. If you've got any questions, just ask Dave or myself.

Mike.

Mark me down as disappointed. We couldn't have a separate Helicopter ( as previosuly intimated) section but we now have another target section! Tell me what's the difference between a small target and a large (fat) targets? I think you just diluted the Armour section.

So maybe as we've switched SP we can have the Helo section?

Just asking.

Colin

I understand where you're coming from. I had my KT to bits this avo to see if I could fix the BB unit, and learned a lot about how they're made in the process. :)

I feel i should have my Tiger1 build in this section rather than in the wip area.

Please feel free to move it Mike.

BTW, I've recently aquired a Tamiya Full Option Pershing to go with my 2 Tigers.I'm now considering the Leopard as well!!

Online builds anyone??

Nige

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Think mine might just fit nicely in here then. It's the old SLEC Kit that was produced from very late 1984 to 1987. I bought this kit at the Model Engineer Exhibition at Wembley in January 1985 just after release and of course on it's promotional launch. It's a Panzer V as you can tell. Which version you decide to build is up to you.

The chassis is plywood with an ABS moulded top and turret. The rear tool boxes are also ABS moulded. The Turret has ply formers inside. The Barrel was made from a supplied piece of wooden dowel and ABS mouldings supplied for the flash eliminator on the end of the barrel.  I've since replaced mine with a piece of snooker cue to give a more accurate tapered barrel and have remade the flash eliminator although I will be reworking this bit to make it more scale.

All the tools and extra external fittings are hand made and are NOT supplied with the kit.  The kit also comes with a sticker kit of formers for a Bulldozer, Snowcat etc all designed to fit on the same chassis if you don't want to build it as the tank.

Assembling the tracks took 3 hours as they are built up from individual links requiring bolting together. It also features wire sprung bogies so does have some form of suspension.

This kit was designed to be built either as static display, a kids push along toy or for full radio control. There is ample room in the hull for full radio gear and a motorbike size 6 or 12v battery and sound system if you wish. 

Engines in this one are 2 x Meccano motors with 6 speed gearboxes and working through a twin clutch arrangement to drive the tracks (one per side)

Scale is approx 1/10th.

Just got to finish this one off now and it's ready to rumble.

Ps...the price of the kit then was £39 !! (not including radio, motors or batteries)

Mark :)

DSC00152.jpg

Edited by MDSCUSTOMS
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many years ago, I purchased a 1/15 Stug IV and a 1/16 Hummel........manufactured by, I believe, Bandai.  Both kits were well-made, although I can't vouch for their accuracy. I also purchased a PZIV F2, which  was a major disappointment.  Don't remember what happened to them.

• 2 years later...

Hiya nailmhor4942 

Good question storage is always an issue .. and I am fortunate in that I comes a barn 

Next door with also has a collection of classic cars and nice got a the corner .. where my armour is stored away in big plastic tubs with lids on and then in racking ... 

20151116-195238.jpg

IMG-20180106-WA0014.jpg

• Like 1

The models are fantastic , I wish I had the skill to do what you do . I take my hat off to you my friend. I've only made something something in 1/24 scale and that was the Tamyia Centurion tank , I had no problem getting the details right as we had two of them sitting on the GunPark .