Revell 1/72 Tornado GR1 to GR4 conversion, 12 Sqn 90th Anniversary jet

MPaul

My entry for this GB is a Revell Tornado GR1 converted to GR4 using the Airfix kit, Its going to represent the 12 Squadron 90th Anniversary Jet stationed at RAF Lossiemouth.:

12sqnannytaxi2.jpg

I also have an Eduard zoom set, canopy masks, Model Alliance Decal set, a pair of 1/72 scale AIM132s to make a RAIDS pod and an Acqui missile, reference book, and also some of my own photos for reference.

20130411_201647_zpsa2ec5a48.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

Its a little bit of a progression thats for sure Dazz, although I am going to be striking a balance between OOB and Aftermarket where possible.

I feel progress will be slower on this one for some reason, although I have finally made a start to it.

I made a start with the tub today.

20130419_101329_zps9f82fe86.jpg

20130419_101345_zpscaad9aad.jpg

The detail on the switches etc is more than good enough for me, as it will be modelled with canopy down.

I do have an Eduard Zoom set, which I did consider using for the IPS, but again, the kit items IMO are more than up to the job, and I dont feel worth the time spent fitting the etch pieces correctly.

One thing I did do, was to remove the circular centre screen on the Navs IP

20130419_102557_zpsb030a179.jpg

20130419_103358_zps00d5f389.jpg

And here are those parts after receiving first coats of paint (Revell Aquacolour 57), it's still drying, so hence the appearance of the main tub.

20130419_104539_zps4fedf1e5.jpg

Hopefully more to come in next couple of days

Good start, I agree the detail OOB is far too nice to waste PE on!

Don't forget for a GR4 the round rolling map on the front IP is now a square MFD. I tend to just carefully remove the moulded detail and paint a black square in its place, or use a spare decal, that works for 1/72

Much appreciated, and it spurred me on to make a little more progress today.......so

IPs and side panel switchwork done. The kit isnt 100% accurate to the real thing, but with some thought, it can be made to look pretty realistic I think

The IPs are just dry-fitted for the photos. Screens were done with Anthracite (09) first, then Seagreen (48) over the top and I think it looks quite good

20130419_131255_zpsc232c4b6.jpg

20130419_131143_zpse780df02.jpg

Well, I am happy to say I have definitely got the bug again!!

(Phil, I found that cockpit part on the sprue by the way)

My first ever foray into etched parts. Only dry fitted just now, as I am not sure about painting them (can I do this by brush straight on?)

But its the cowling for the NAVs displays, and some slight added detail to the sides of the displays

20130419_151512_zps1f70ffdd.jpg

Apologies for the photos. I have to use auto-focus on my phone, as the macro option just wont work.

Cracking on with the pit! Good job you looked in in my thread and spotted that bit.

As for etch, you could get away with painting it directly with enamel but not with acrylics, it really needs a primer or it struggles to stick

Well, it seems that Revell Aquacolour goes onto Eduard etch no problem at all. Of course, this turned out to be the case only after I had already been out and bought some matt black enamel lol

Still, progress is being made, just fathoming out the fitting of the probe to the fuselage (it says I need to drill holes - but the diagram showing where is shocking) and hopefully get the front section together in next day or so.

Looking good dude. As for the probe, isn't there any "dimples" on the inside of the fuselague? Thats where they usually are for the... sticky out stuff for lack of a better term :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Thanks Dazz.

As for the probe 'dimples', you would think so wouldnt you, but alas there are no obvious marks. Think I will end up going with just gluing the probe on later.

Hi Phil. If there are, I certainly cant see them. May close my eyes and use the force to detect them using my fingertips.

I started on the seats this morning. They are being painted so no pictures as of yet, just a picture to show the removal of the hose from the Personal Equipment Connector (port side of the seat). I will be using the loop of plastic to make the ejection handle between the pilots legs.

Before:

20130420_083943_zpsa930dc9d.jpg

After:

20130420_084054_zps61f0761c.jpg

Thanks for all the advice guys, I am hoping this one turns out well, as I worked on this jet at Lossiemouth.

The sprues for my GR are still on the bench, plus some red paint, so here you go:

53478EDE-F842-418E-84B9-0270F21D7863-513

Inside of part number 14

Never knew what that part was on the seats! Have you removed it because you're adding pilots or is it just not there on real thing?

Edited by SaintsPhil

RAF tornados dont have the hose fitted to the seats, as the pilots carry there PEP connector attached to their flying suits etc.

The Germans leave it attached (so the loop would be present) it certainly isnt black and yellow as per the painting instructions.

Of course mine will be when it becomes the ejection handle.

Thanka for the picture Phil, will check it out later.

Got the handles painted:

20130420_130924_zps7f72f8e9.jpg

And then fitted to the seats:

20130420_135752_zps277f4b70.jpg

Whilst the glue dries, did a couple of other things.

Port side gun filled:

20130420_143212_zpsbddd1e94.jpg

And started painting the UC bays:

20130420_143231_zps3cbaeb45.jpg

20130420_143220_zpsa6af5915.jpg

Thanks Sernak.

I can't really judge as I havent built any of the others. I have made the Revell 1/144 Tornado and that was good, and so far this is pretty good too. A few little inaccuracies and issues, but lots of detail OOB, and together with a little bit of aftermarket, and some adapting/scratch-building, I am sure it will build up into a very good Tornado (providing and hoping I do it justice that is!)