Supermarine Walrus - completed

Hi All,

I am still in the process of completing the model for the 1/144 Group Build, but I have decided to make a start on the Walrus for this GB. It is the Revell - ex Matchbox 1/72 model and I will try and do a few little bits to it as it is a very basic, though apparently accurate, model. Accurate with the exception of the wheel wells which are apparently 4mm out, but I won't be correcting that. So, the ubiquitous sprue shot:

1a108HP42update004_zpsd746a1e5.jpg

You may have seen the Radial Engines and Wheels resin Pegasus with the sprues. The little green engine is much better than the kit's offering:

1a208HP42update016_zps2321e21b.jpg

The nose section of the engine nacelle, in the picture above, doesn't have the intake hole which seems something of a glaring omission, so I will add that as well. I will do a bit of scribing, which may not be entirely accurate but the panel lines are raised and it is an easy surface to practice on as I have never had a proper 'go' at scribing before. I intend to attempt some of the interior too, and it will be my second attempt at rigging.

Back soonish.

Hi Bonhoff, I will do N18 of the Irish Aer Corps in her original silver with the tricolour stripes on the wings and tail. I haven't got any of the Max Decals, er, decals, so I will mask and spray. Will yours be in silver or the later camouflage with the roundels?

Bonhoff - Please do what you fancy, they will never be the same no matter what: same kit, same colours, different approaches. I did the Heller Magister in IAC Silver Swallows markings, only to take it to the model club the same night a fellow member did the same with his Heller Magister. They were very different even though we had even used the same decals. I'd love to see another Walrus in IAC colours.

Cliff, thank you.

Edited by Natter

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, just to let you know I am still modelling! Having gone back to work after a two week sabbatical I find I am working 12 hour days with an hour's cycle at each end, and I have just been passed the additional responsibilities for running a section because the section head has totally failed. Gee, thanks. That and being on call this weekend has really impacted on the modelling, so I have just done a wee bit.

The seat is plasticard and the frame is 15 amp fuse wire. The control wheel is fuse wire and plastic rod with lead wire wrap. The lead wire looks a bit heavy in the pics but bear in mind that the pic is much larger than the 72nd cockpit and it looks OK in real life. The rubber pedals are plasticard and the frames they are mounted on are sections cut from plastic tube. The other side of the cockpit floor and the treadplates for the nose are done and loosely fitted to the other half of the fuselage for now. The frame behind the pilot's seat is covered in scored tin foil to try and replicate the corrugations, but I am not sure I have been successful with that. Any ideas anyone? That's it for today, maybe more next week. Thank goodness this is a long GB!

Walrusa002_zpsc61afe35.jpg

• Like 1

OK, back to the kit at last. Personally I blame you fellow Britmodellers for what I have become. I built the Airfix Draken and Hunter a few years ago straight out of the box and was happy, thinking that using an airbrush was adventurous. Then someone introduced me to Britmodeller, I perused the stunning builds, and I wanted to do more. Now I just have to make adjustments, and it takes ages to get anywhere. Is it fun? Well sort of; mostly.

I have posted some of the interior bits before, but I have moved on in the last couple of days. The kit itself has just under 60 pieces, six of which are three figures and the three seats; the entire interior. The interior as I have represented it now has about 150 individual little pieces in the photos below, and will have about 170 when it is complete.

There is no etch I am aware of so I made the main backing panel from plasticard, with a very thin piece as the front with drilled holes for the instruments. I sprayed through the front to define the instruments on the main panel and the used a needle to mark them. It isn't exactly Eduard pre-printed etch standard, but it looks OK now it is together. The front was then fixed on with Klear, but that is still a wip so photos will follow later. The little disc under the panel will be the compass fitting into the gap at the bottom of the panel:

ainstrumentpanelWalrusII003_zpsba7898f4.

binstrumentpanelWalrusII008_zps3ba1f221.

The internal structure around the aft hatch was represented with 0.5mm square evergreen strip, as with the stringers and frames throughout. The floor is covered plasticard. The corrugated surface is the foil from the cover of a hot chocolate tub corrugated by drawing loads of parallel lines on the back with the edge of the blade of an electrician's screwdriver. It is thicker and more resilient than the foil I used on the back of the cockpit bulkhead which has sadly flattened out now:

eaftgunnerWalrusII012_zpsed4e2eb0.jpg

The cockpit is just about done with the floor corrugation as explained above. I have done the co-pilot's jump seat and the nav table since the photos were taken [edit - pics updated], and there is a corrugated floor in the right half by the pilot's position, though it is not in the photos. The right rudder pedal is forward so I can offset the rudder and the control wheel is pulled back so I can drop the elevators a bit when I do eventually get around to putting the outside bits together:

cleftcockpitWalrusII010_zps257c6792.jpg

dnavpositionWalrusII011_zpsdcdc6ed8.jpg

frontinteriorWalrusII015_zpsfc942480.jpg

The interior is all done in interior green now. I have seen some photos of the area from behind the nav's position in aluminium, but I went with interior green throughout. It has a coat of klear and will be high and low-lighted next. There are a couple of little bits to do before buttoning the fuselage up which I may get done during the week before we go off on hols, we shall see.

Onward, and good luck to everyone still building....

• Like 2

Right then, back from a week's holiday and a bit more done on the Walrus today. The instrument panel was already finished, and after a coat of matt varnish to take the shine of Klear off the front (not done in the photo) it was ready for installation. It may look a bit scruffy but bear in mind that the actual item is half the size of the compass recess in the bottom of the panel as pictured, and it looks OK on the model.

01-Walrusinstrumentpanel_zps7315e799.jpg

I made the throttle, the small lever by the pilot's seat and the small switch panel under the canopy next to the pilot, but pretty much none of that can be seen, the seat is a little over-scale - though the pilot sits in it perfectly! The silvery bottles in the stbd fuselage by the side window are the brake accumulator bottles. The interior is done in Lifecolor Interior Green with a lighter mix dry brushed for highlights and a brown watercolour wash for the shadows, sealed with W&N's lovely matt varnish.

01a-Walrusfuselageinterior_zps12d777ad.j

The harnesses are strips of foil from the seal of a hot-chocolate tub with the holes pricked through with a needle; an idea unashamedly stolen from Nobby. The seat is scruffy because I must have broken it four or five times today.

01b-Walruscockpit_zps85c3c73e.jpg

01d-Walruscockpitfromfront_zps74a72679.j

I was going to add some detail to the wheel wells, but the Walrus in the FAA Museum has plain wells, and that aircraft has the wings of N18 I believe. The ejector pin tower in the middle of the well will have to go though......

01e-Walruswheelwell_zps11bee814.jpg

The fuselage is closed up now, so it is a matter of deciding how to do the wings as I don't want to make the rigging any harder than I have to. I think that I will rig with the top of the upper mainplanes off, then fit them afterwards, but I will have to do gap filling and re-spraying without ruining the rigging thread. More thought perhaps.

Good luck to everyone else with their Walruses.

Cracking work there on a much less common subject Dave. Only just found this thread but will stay tuned to enjoy your progress.

Just a quick update. It doesn't look much but what I have done seems to have taken an age. It isn't a time warp Hawk tribute, but the gloss black enamel is the primer/undercoat for the main silver colour. I only have half a pot of Mithril Silver left, and now it has changed to a different shade I haven't got enough to do the whole aircraft, so I will have to go with something else; I just don't know what yet. I was far too impatient though, I should have done the wing stripes first, now I have to do them over the black! As you can see I have separated the rudder to offset it, and you may be able to see that I have half separated the elevators to drop them a little:

1ablackwalrus004_zps06515fe6.jpg

1bfuselage_zpsdb7a7fd5.jpg

I should have done the extras to the engine pod before the paint too, that old impatience thing. In adding the extra detail I have damaged the paintwork, but it will need to be redone to cover the new additions anyway. I widened the forward struts and added the small fairing at the bottom of the port strut. I have added a couple of panels and the intake at the front, and made the little side intake by crash forming thin plasticard over a cocktail stick. Since the pics I have added the fairing at the bottom rear of the pod (over the carburettor?):

1cablackwalrus007_zps3d00efa6.jpg

1cblackwalrus011_zpse4add7e5.jpg

The engine is a gem. If you ever wondered about the resin Radial Engines and Wheels products, wonder no more, they are exquisite. I have the P&W Wasps for the Ford Trimotor and the pushrods are undercut mouldings, stunning. The pushrods have to be added to the Pegasus, which I did with stretched sprue, and I made all 18 individual intake pipes from solder. The details is amazing, and I really have not done it sufficient justice:

1fblackwalrus017_zpsc1c7bf3d.jpg

1eengineblackwalrus018_zpsa7df4564.jpg

Back to work tomorrow - but the bank holiday weekend beckons.

Looking very nice Dave. I particularly like those intakes that you've made - I must give that a try.

Sorry to hear about the changing Games Workshop colour - I've had the same with one of their reds, that used to be a perfect match for some roundel decals that I use quite a lot.....

Cheers

Cliff

Cracking work again Dave. Sure painting the white stripes over black can give a slighty weathered effect to break up the monotony.

Hi all, I have had a bit of a dabble with the kit but no great leaps in the last few days. The engine is done, with exhaust stubs added - 49 parts altogether! With ten additional parts on the engine pod and over 60 inside the fuselage kit parts count has been put well in to the shade. The stripes have gone OK with the lifecolor white covering the black really nicely. The gloss black has been touched up and I am back to it properly tomorrow with the bank holiday Monday weather looking pants. I will update with photos tomorrow.