Airfix 1/72 Hawker Typhoon Mk.Ib Sprue Shots

Wonderland Models

I now want one of these. Damn you Airfix DAMN YOOOOOOU! Mind you its going to be the price of a lunch. So bowl of cereal and fruit for lunch one day again this week. I perk of being a consultant Lecturer I get subsistence allowance. Faculty pay for my obsessive return to the hobby!

Picked mine up today. The panel lines seem finer than the new Lancaster having looked at both.There seem to be alternative parts for the chin radiator not marked for use anywhere on the instructions,indicating other variants could be in the pipeline? Must get into the loft and rake through my references. All in all it looks like a very well thought out and executed kit. Bring on the Hurricane & Gladiator.

Looks like another one I'll have to have or two or so.....:unsure: I see on the colour scheme for 5V-X that the dust filter is shown & appears to be moulded into the combined cockpit floor/wheel bays moulding. Would this be correct (or nearly so...?) for the ones that did tropical trials in Egypt? Yep, planning conversions already & I've got an Academy kit for a 3 bladed prop & short span tailplanes & a falcon canopy for the car door hood so figured this might be a step on the way. :)

Steve.

Looks like another one I'll have to have or two or so..... :unsure: I see on the colour scheme for 5V-X that the dust filter is shown & appears to be moulded into the combined cockpit floor/wheel bays moulding. Would this be correct (or nearly so...?) for the ones that did tropical trials in Egypt? Yep, planning conversions already & I've got an Academy kit for a 3 bladed prop & short span tailplanes & a falcon canopy for the car door hood so figured this might be a step on the way. :)

Steve.

Steve

The tropical filter is separate - you can see it just below the RP on the sprue. The original trop filter as used on the desert trials aircraft was much longer but they were further modified during the course of the trials. Unfortunately no photos have come to light.

If you want and early Typhoon you will also need to add landing lights, replace the 1000lb bomb carrier with the longer earlier one and move them inboard, adjacent to the inboard cannon. Plus various other bits of detail to check when you've picked your subject.

• Like 1

Chris, I have a feeling that your unrivalled Typhoon expertise is about to have its busiest six months ever!

Thanks for that WIP. I may have to pin some FAQ notes ...

The late production jobs are fairly straightforward but for rebuild or anything 1943/44 photo refs are really required.

Chris

Love the look of this...but.... having had a better look at the sprue shots, there doesn't seem tobe any indication to the underside of the top wing parts of where to cut out the gun/ammo hatches! Just the corner lugs of where the detailed bay would locate. Not being illustrated, what do the instructions show ? Clearly there needs to be some surgery but a recessed cut line would help.

Love the look of this...but.... having had a better look at the sprue shots, there doesn't seem tobe any indication to the underside of the top wing parts of where to cut out the gun/ammo hatches! Just the corner lugs of where the detailed bay would locate. Not being illustrated, what do the instructions show ? Clearly there needs to be some surgery but a recessed cut line would help.

Guess the panel lines on the top of the wing will have to be used as guides

Guess the panel lines on the top of the wing will have to be used as guides

Exactly. Start from the top surface, not looking from underneath. Simply hack away at the top surface until you have removed everything bounded by the panel lines. You have a replacement "open" panel provided, so it;s not as if you have to preserve the panel that you have removed.

I would suggest to use a scribing tool (or an xacto-blade with a sharp point) to deepen the panel lines until you get through. So you still have covers in a perfect fitting size, if needed. I like the idea, it's better than provide the wing with already open covers, and than having to fit the parts in, maybe with much filler and sanding. Well done, Airfix!

Maybe an additional sprue with replacement parts could follow? (threeblade prop, other tail...)

Alex

Chris, thanks for your input, & yes, I reckon a FAQ would be a great idea, it might save endless repetition of the sorts of queries we love to make. From what you say then, the bulge on the wheel wells, floor bit is just the standard carb intake ducting, I really should've recognised that from the old version :lol:;), & the oval shape it hangs off is the engine bay floor? I was getting somewhat (still am) trying to match the different sprue bits in the correct orientation. I'm just itching to lay my hands on one of these.

Steve

Chris, thanks for your input, & yes, I reckon a FAQ would be a great idea, it might save endless repetition of the sorts of queries we love to make. From what you say then, the bulge on the wheel wells, floor bit is just the standard carb intake ducting, I really should've recognised that from the old version :lol:;), & the oval shape it hangs off is the engine bay floor? I was getting somewhat (still am) trying to match the different sprue bits in the correct orientation. I'm just itching to lay my hands on one of these.

Steve

Steve, hope you've put your Hattons order in!! Ive had this on preorder since the 19 Dec announcement. Might even get mine in a week or two.. Cheers Dave. Edited by Rabbit Leader

You're reading my mind Dave, this'll take another Hattons order though. I've given up doing pre-orders, things invariably arrive just after the hobby acct has been severely plundered.:( Don't reckon mine will be that far behind yours though :P

Steve.

From what you say then, the bulge on the wheel wells, floor bit is just the standard carb intake ducting, I really should've recognised that from the old version :lol:;), & the oval shape it hangs off is the engine bay floor? I was getting somewhat (still am) trying to match the different sprue bits in the correct orientation. I'm just itching to lay my hands on one of these.

Steve

Yes! Ingenious isn't it? Together with the cannons integral with the gunbays, the designer has certainly thought outside the box (excuse the pun). I believe the trop filter is a first for Typhoon kits.

Chris

Looks like another one I'll have to have or two or so...

I've got an Academy kit for a 3 bladed prop & short span tailplanes & a falcon canopy for the car door hood

I'm right behind you on that one! I just hope I can stop at only buying two of them - well done, Airfix!

John

I'm ready:

(1) Order placed - check (actually double-check - I bought two)

(2) Dig through Typhoon reference file and locate key documents, including Bentley drawings - check

(3) Dig through Typhoon accessories/decals/kits storage box and verify resources for car-door conversion - check

Now if the mailman would just show up... :lol:

John

Since it will no doubt be a while before the Tiffie shows up on this side of the pond, I ordered one from Airfix today. Maybe this time they'll not charge me that pesky VAT! :)

Cheers,

Bill