Airfix 1/72 Hawker Typhoon Mk.Ib Sprue Shots

Wonderland Models

A short-sighted view.

The UK is not the only market that Airfix relies upon, so distribution and transport are worldwide issues for the product in any case. There are significant economies of scale in manufacture, so it naturally concentrates geographically. In the long run you have the choice between having a UK-based firm doing reasonably high value design and marketing work here in the UK, and repatriating any profits it is able to make, and the whole enterprise going to a country where the labour costs are lower.

Certainly not short sighted, just someone who would like to see more manufacturing in this country thats creates jobs

• Like 1

Certainly not short sighted, just someone who would like to see more manufacturing in this country thats creates jobs

No argument there. I've never understood why it's a "good thing" to export any jobs from Britain to foreign countries. We already have too many who would like to work unable to find jobs.

I thought that the Airfix kits made in India all came to the UK first before they are distributed throughout the world, so it would make sense to actually produce them here too and this would also produce a smaller `carbon footprint', which is important in this day and age, even if it is only a few shipping containers less!

Are Airfix kits boxed in the UK or in India too?

Anyway back to Tiffies!

Cheers

Tony O

PS- I know quite a few Geordie lads who would be only too happy to produce and pack Airfix kits as the job situation up there is especially dire at the moment!...What do you say Lee?

Edited by tonyot

Well, if a Geordie or other UK operation can undercut the Indians by providing the same or better quality of manufacture at lower cost here than in India, then it will be the right thing for Hornby to do. The proof will be in Hornby's numbers, over time.

Is that a realistic possibility? While there would be an obvious increase in labour costs perhaps there could be some countervailing cost advantage that a UK injection moulding supplier could provide to Hornby, e.g. (hypothetically) if they were currently suffering an unacceptably high rejection rate and could (for example) dramatically reduce faulty production, or if bulk shipping rates for crated sprues in quantity were to shoot through the roof.

Or alternatively if the distributors are willing to pay higher prices for kits moulded in Geordie-land, because it becomes clear up the distribution chain that kit buyers place a financial value UK manufactured kits, and are willing to put their money where their mouth is, then that will be fair enough too.

if so we'll see it in Hornby's accounts in a few years' time.

I don't think that there is the slightest chance that "we" will ever see anything like that, to the level of detail we would need to draw definitive conclusions (even assuming that we were trained accountants, which I'm certainly not). The success or otherwise of any organisation depends on a large number of other factors, and the need to stress or downplay these factors affects what a company publishes, and what it says about these matters. This is part of the reason why simple minded "bottom line is the only thing that matters" analysis is never sufficient to explain the success or otherwise of companies.

You're missing the narrative reporting provisions for listed PLCs, even a small-cap tiddler like Hornby.

The world of corporate reporting has changed tremendously in the last 10 years, and is a big part of what I now do for a living.

You don't just have to say what the results are, you have to explain why they are what they are, all the material moving parts, the risk factors and the factors driving your outlook.

For Hornby it would be a significant change in business model and supply chain strategy to switch from outsourced physical manufacturing overseas in a low-cost manufacturing centre, and go back to manufacturing those products in an owned UK manufacturing plant. The capital requirements would be substantially different, as they would presumably have to hold the plant on the balance sheet, and their currency and commodity exposures would look very different. They'd have to explain all that in their published accounts and other published investor relations material.

For the benefit of transparency, I have put a fair amount of study into Hornby as a potential investment target but do not currently hold a financial position in it, either actual or derivative.

Edited by Work In Progress

• 1 month later...

Was planning to build one of these new kits as 183 Sqn's HF - L as per the original release of the Airfix kit (overly nostalgic - looks like some backdating is in order). I know it should have the three blade prop and shrouded exausts, but is there an easy way to tell large or small tailplanes? Would appropriate stores option for the aircraft be to use bombs or RPs (or none)? Best source for backdate parts - Academy kit?

Best source for backdate parts - Academy kit?

The best source is the Brengun kit- as it has the prop, tail and exhausts; and has enough parts left over to make a big-tail 4-blader... but then you might as well not have the work of doing two tail swaps, and build the Brengun as JR128, and the Airfix as it is.

I'm building a Brengun up as a similar aircraft (shrouded exhausts, bubble top, small tail and 3-blade prop). The interesting schemes I have found with this combination include:

PR-Z, MM983, March 1944, which has a spinner half blue at its base;

DJS, R8843, Sept 1943, the first bubbletop in service, Wg Cdr's pennant under windscreen, letters 18" high;

If you remove the surround of the exhaust shroud, then you can make FH-G, MN133 with dark green spinner and 'Matabele Hlabezulu' around a tribal shield and crossed spears nose-art, letters 30" high.

But I decided on:

TP-Z, MM987 March 1944, Sqn Ldr Baldwin, with 13 1/2 kill marks on his scoreboard and a pennant, black rear 1/2 of spinner.

Talon: If you don't want to go the Brengun route, I will be clearing out my bits from 1/72 Typhoons now that I have everything ready for my next 4 builds. I could send you the small tailplanes from an Academy kit, the three-blade prop from that kit, plus a spinner; and a spinner from a Pavla one (which is more likely to be the right shape, and fit the Airfix better, and the shrouded exhausts from the Pavla. PM your address, and I'll drop them in the post.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...