Streem 1/72nd Su-24M Fencer D - Finished

Jabba

Hmm, this kit has a reputation of being accurate, and expensive if you can even find it. It's sad to hear that it's pretty bad, from what you have posted of your journey so far.

Thanks, but the project is still ongoing. I will have an update in the next couple of days of what has happened and where I am at.

The next two rather bad photos (I was experimenting with camera) show the cockpit all made up

Su-24Fencer012_zps16393b1b.jpg

Su-24Fencer013_zps4731b6c3.jpg

The next pictures show the rear fuselage upper and power parts joined together. When I did this I put a small amount of white glue on the wing pivots to hold them in placed while I glued the two halves together. Although I did move them after I had done the glueing and had clamped the halves together, I also used some super glue when glueing the wing gloves, and this also got onto the wings, So when I tried to move the wings the next morning nothing happened until I tried a little force, where upon on of the wing came away as you see in the photos. But all is not lost as it does slot back in, so when the model is on display I can have the wing in the forward position, and for moving it about one wing can be in the aft positiion whilst the other can be stored away.

Su-24Fencer015_zps8ea6e683.jpg

This picture show the fwd fuselage gued together.

Su-24Fencer014_zps611e8be2.jpg

The fwd and aft fuselage parts, and the wings in the aft position.

Su-24Fencer016_zps1ea3e89e.jpg

Since these photos have been taken, I have glued the fwd and aft fuselages together and applied filler where needed. Hopefully I will have some more pictures soon after I have done some sanding.

Edited by Jabba

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pictures of the progress of this project. The model is now altogether and just in need of a bit of sanding and the pylons on the wing glove. Hopefully I shall start painting soon, and here lies another problem. From the decal sheets that I have there seem to be two colour schemes, although t here should only be one. Two of the decal sheets that I have (Hi-Decal and Authentic) show the upper clolours as being sand and dark brown, whilst the other decal sheet and a book that I have on Iraqi Fighters say that the upper scheme is dark green and dark brown. The lower colour is not in doubt as that is light blue. If anyone can help I will be very grateful.

Su-24Fencer017_zps48cf0e20.jpg

Su-24Fencer018_zps1457bd47.jpg

Su-24Fencer019_zps31f97d31.jpg

Does anyone know a different way instead of Photobucket to post photos onto this web site as it has taken me up to 50 mins just to post these three, and it getting very tiresome. I will admit that I did try and ppost one photo twice, but still it should not take that long surely.

Edited by Jabba

Good perseverance to get it together!

The Linden hill Iraqi fighters sheet says, Olive Drab over Tan if that helps....

That is the book that I have got and it it is co-written by an Iraqi Air Force Brig Gen, and this is where my confusion is starting. Most export Su-24Ms seem to have the two browns, and the pictures that I have in many books are not that conclusive, due to lighting of the sbuject.

Nice to see you're persistent with this model, Jabba: I'm looking forwarding to help with painting - if necessary. Should have got some additional references regarding the camo pattern on top sides, recently (if my memory is serving me right). :popcorn:

BTW, have you already decided what serial would you like to build?

(Oh, and since you're still in the process of assembling your kit, don't forget: since this is an Iraqi Su-24MK... NO fences on wing-gloves [above inner underwing pylons], NO fences, please. :winkgrin: )

Nice to see you're persistent with this model, Jabba: I'm looking forwarding to help with painting - if necessary. Should have got some additional references regarding the camo pattern on top sides, recently (if my memory is serving me right). :popcorn:

BTW, have you already decided what serial would you like to build?

(Oh, and since you're still in the process of assembling your kit, don't forget: since this is an Iraqi Su-24MK... NO fences on wing-gloves [above inner underwing pylons], NO fences, please. :winkgrin: )

Thanks for the invitation of help a PM has been sent to you.

I have both the Hi-Decal and LindenHill sheets for Iraqi Su-24s, although the Hi-Decal serial No looks like it is a bit jumbled up, so I will probably go with the Linden Hill one which is 24635.

The strange thing is that I cannot put any wing fences on the model even if I needed to as none are supplied in the kit. Don't worry I was not going to fit any anyway.

For a quick update, I have now started to paint the undersides of the model, and will hopefully have some more pictures soon.

Here is a very quick update on this project. The undersides are now painted, and although I do not show it the fwd part of the canopy has been fitted so that the upper surface can be painted. Tom has very kindly provided me with some very useful info on this to which I am very grateful.

Su-24Fencer_zps50466845.jpg

Sorry that it that the underside colour almost matches the background.

Hi jabba, I'm also building one of these at the moment, for the Cold War magazine so unfortunately can't show any of the wip until it's published but to say that it's accurate is a massive understatement, the attention to detail is amazing and leaves a lot of modern kits standing, ( just wish that they'd managed to release their TU-22 Blinder before the company folded !). As the kit doesn't include any I'm using weapons from the Armory range as well as the Pavla 'pit set and Eduard PE, plus of course a lot of scratch building, chucking everything at it but the kitchen sink !!not sure about the moving parts but might have the slats and flaps working. I'm finding it good fun to be honest as I like these Eastern limited run kits and the challenges they present, (believe me this one's not that bad compared to one or two others I could mention !!). Mine will be standard VVS finish though was tempted with a Syrian one,

You've done a grand job so far., nice to see one being built.....

Melchie...

Thanks for the comments. I will be taking the wing tanks and boms from an older Dragon model that although damaged at a display is still used for display, until this model replaces it. It is a pity that the company that made this model folded as a Tu-22 Blinder would have been rather nice.

A quick update on what I have done this week. As you can see the fixed part of the canopy has been fitted and the first colour of the camo painted. I have also started on the second colour, but this was started after these pictures were taken. I shall hpefully start of fitting some parts of the U/C this week.

Su-24Fencer020_zps6cf31fa2.jpg

Su-24Fencer021_zps07fe5f91.jpg

Edited by Jabba

Very good so far.

Just one question: the 'border/demarcation line' between the brown and light blue colours on the front fuselage and between wings and horizontal stablizers was soft. You intend to add that 'yet', or leave it out?

A quick update of what I have done this week. I have been doing a bit of touch up painting, and painted the wheels. The main thing that I have added to the model this week, and was not looking forward to was the main U/C as it was in so many pieces. I got this done over a couple of days doing one side at a time, and to be honest although not perfect it is not to shabby. This has also been painted. Next up I think is one of two things, either adding the wheels then decalling, or the other way around but this will hopefully be done this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Decals and matt varnish applied. Some photos have been taken and will post when I get time. I will now start to add some of the smaller parts.

A quick question. Does anyone know the colour of the infra red warning receiver dome on the top of the fuselage? The only pictures I can really find of it in close up are in black and white.

Here are some pictures of the model after decalling (and there are not that many) and varnish application

Su-24Fencer024_zps72cb988d.jpg

Su-24Fencer025_zpsc7857112.jpg

Su-24Fencer026_zpsdf6f57b0.jpg

Here is also a picture of the bombs and the fuel tanks.

Su-24Fencer027_zps984acee2.jpg

Since these pictures were taken I have added the ejection seats and the U/C doors. Hopefully tonight I shall add the weaponary.

Edited by Jabba

Here is the finished model. Although not a shake and bake kiit has been enjoyable to build, and is certainly much better in accuracy than the Dragon kit of old.

Su-24Fencer029_zpse6e02fb0.jpg

Su-24Fencer030_zps8d3a0400.jpg

Su-24Fencer031_zpsbd4aa078.jpg

Su-24Fencer032_zps4cc437de.jpg

Su-24Fencer033_zps61fdb13c.jpg

A comparison picture with the Dragon kit which is in the foreground. It looks a bit shabby as it got battered at a model show a couple of years ago, plus I have taken a few items from it for this build.

Su-24Fencer034_zps8fd302be.jpg

Any comments are gratefully received.

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 1